The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Well said and a great observation.

Yup. I have no issue with his emotion and compete level. Majority of those penalties won't be called at the NHL level. How many times a game does CDC clamor for someone to show some emotion and push back? You'll all be cheering when he's standing up to the Kings, Ducks and Sharks.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Honky Cat said:

I didn't watch the game today,but reading through what other Canadian fans are saying about Virtanen's WJC performance is pretty brutal....I thought that sending him to this tournament was supposed to boost his confidence and development..He could possibly be more damaged confidence-wise now,than before he went to the WJC...

Good thing that McCann didn't go..He would probably be getting dragged through the mud as well.

He actually really had a good first and second period(minus the penalty in the second). He had an awful third. Expectation was too high on this kid and rightfully so. As a returnee and an NHL loaned player he should've been a lot better, no question. But expecting him to produce was a mistake and it showed. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Crabcakes said:

Strome's cross check

Yep. Jakes stood out because we were going on the PP and the 2nd one was pure stupidity with the slash, but if it was just the hook most people would forget about it...the whole team played undisciplined. Giving up 9 pp's in an elimination game isn't one player's fault.

• Upvote 1

By consensus it is agreed that young Jake is a 19 year old bust.

Putting my tin foil hat back on I can only suspect that Jake took one for the team. Yes, Benning is quietly calling the other 17-18 Team Canada players agents, who Jake led down the path of mediocrity. I am sure JB can now cherry pick through the ruins of this effort and snag a few projects for the prospect cage.

We of the 'tanker' persuasion saw this gambit coming way back in October. We all know Jake has a poor hockey IQ and would certainly fall into line with any conspiracy that might make the Canucks fail, I mean succeed.  

...Marner scored 2 goals

So you let someone off the hook  "if"?  That sets a dangerous precedent.  Either you're calling out undisciplined play or you're not.  And no one gets immunity if it's to make an impact. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, McCannon said:

It seems some on here look forward to a chance to bash players, almost wanting them to screw up because it gives them reason to troll / bash endlessly....JMO

Now you know why the legal profession is one of the lowliest of human endeavors. CDC is full of posters practicing their court room manners. To bad they didn't know a little more about their topic.

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Putting my tin foil hat back on I can only suspect that Jake took one for the team. Yes, Benning is quietly calling the other 17-18 Team Canada players agents, who Jake led down the path of mediocrity. I am sure JB can now cherry pick through the ruins of this effort and snag a few projects for the prospect cage.

We of the 'tanker' persuasion saw this gambit coming way back in October. We all know Jake has a poor hockey IQ and would certainly fall into line with any conspiracy that might make the Canucks fail, I mean succeed.  

The twisted logic of this post is the most reasonable take yet and should by all rights be the final say in this endless debate. Here's hoping (against hope).

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think you are exagerating here. Calm down.

Can't believe Benning is going to keep him up still. He needs to go down and work on his offensive game.

The scouts were definitely right, his iq is terrible.

Pretty concerning how bad his shot is now. He even used to have one of the better backhands I've seen, but I haven't seen him use it for a very long time.

Also, what happened to his speed? He was always one of the fastest players on the ice, now he just looks mediocre. Have no idea what's going on with this kid.

Edited by Erik Karlsson
  • Upvote 1

So, if I read this right, the apparent conclusion(s) is(are) that,

Virtanen:

1. isn't the second coming of Gretsky.
2. is Benning's worst ever draft pick.
3. was only a PR move.
4. single handily lost Canada a WJC medal.
5. is a Finnish sleeper agent.
6. is an immature 19 yo.
7. is a bust.

With all the bashing that he is getting here and on other boards, can you imagine the negative chirping he'd receive if back in junior. That would not help his development, especially on a maturity level. I feel for you Jake, better that you weren't drafted by the Canucks. Some Canuck fans are the most unforgiving of all, with no patience or understanding.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

To bad they didn't know a little more about their topic.

What do we know about Virt in a Jake Virtanens thread?

I think most of us here followed Jake since coming in to the 2013 draft

And the same doubts and issues about Virt being talked about before he was drafted are the same thing people talk about now

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

19 NHL games , 12 AHL games , 2 WJHC tournaments and I watched him around 15 times with Calgary last season.  All together I can honestly say I have seen about 4/5 games as a whole that have impressed me... 

If I sit there and watch him play poorly at all levels why the hell should I expect him to be a good NHL player one day?   He can skate and has good size.  Everything else is sub-par or just plain awful.  

Hockey expert over here. Let's listen to him and don't expect Jake to be a good NHL player because he watched him play 2 years worth of hockey games. 

• Upvote 1