The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

34 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

You give a monkey a pair of skates and a stick and eventually the monkey will make a good play but at least the monkey probably wouldn't of failed that miserably in the third period.   I don't give a damn about a couple good forechecks.  His tournament was awful, he probably shouldn't even of been on the team, let alone playing top 6 minutes.  

That's a piss-poor analogy. A monkey? Give me a break. You're saying a monkey would do better than Virtanen? Let alone in the 3rd period? 

Give him a break. He's been through some tough times. A bad tournament. Alright. That's fair to say. But don't use those stupid analogies please.

2 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Dude you need to read what I am saying. I didn't even say he played terrible, or mentioned his playing at all. 

I understand these guys are teenagers and not mature composed adults.

What pissed me off is him CONTINUALLY making the same horrendous mistakes in terms of costly penalties. 

If it was one mistake that cost the game that would be a different story and I would be with you chalking it up to emotion, inexperience and young age. 

He made these same mistakes ALL tournament long, and MULTIPLE times in an elimination game. I didn't see anyone else on the team doing this. 

You really didn't watch the whole tournament then did ya <_<

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I am just adoring how people are neglecting the obvious here.

Our goaltending was suspect

Our leader was a no show, shoulder or not it's an excuse (according to the people who refused to cut JV the same slack last year)

We had numerous players with 1 point or less

We had a coach that refused to adapt from a north american to a european game

we had a team full of individuals

we had a team full of people selected on what they DID not what they were doing

our entire team repeatedly took very bad penalties.

Our pp was dismal, our PK was even more so when you factor in how much practice they got

But in the end everyone is somehow blaming this loss on JV, pissing and moaning about the pick and completely forgetting 22 other players and a coaching staff couldn't get their collective crap together long enough to adapt to a skill game not a NA game.

The very fact people want to pin this all on JV when we let go a 2 count it 2 goal lead is beyond me.  Writing off his entire career because of it is pathetic.  The better team won today, TEAM get that; TEAM not individuals, TEAM.  You can say that Team canada was the better team today but they weren't.  They were the better group of single players, individuals.

9 penalties later and it is all JV's fault we lost the tournament, not the other 3-4 games at all and 22 other guys.  Just our Virtanen alone.

Adorable

So you're saying what exactly?^_^

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Team melmac would have mopped the floor with team Canada, all due to Jake Virtanen of course....he's worse than Hitler and Nickelback

Now I know you're using hyperbole.  No one could be worse than that band from SURREY.  I cant type their name;  it's far too vile.  Just thinking of them makes me want to...:sick:

Just like you say.  :rolleyes:JV is going to be just fine.  

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Now I know you're using hyperbole.  No one could be worse than that band from SURREY.  I cant type their name;  it's far too vile.  Just thinking of them makes me want to...:sick:

Just like you say.  :rolleyes:JV is going to be just fine.  

I don't give up on kids that easily.  19?

Let's revisit this when he's 25-26.  JVR took quite a few years to really pan out and most people would love JVR on this team.  Not a ton of difference between the two at that age for physical stats and shot.  Sometimes top 10 picks turn out to simply be good serviceable hockey players like Malhotra,  while top 3 picks turn out like Cam Barker;  2nd round picks turn in to Shea Weber and to a more late pick extreme Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Zetterberg.

The sad and angry posts about this kid as a 19 year old are astonishing really.  From day 1.  Until he's exhausted every single opportunity with this team in this league years down the road and doesn't top out as at least a top tier middle 6 player for us than I am not giving up on him.

If you can't get behind our prospects; at least have the decency to not analyze every single move they make looking for any fault to exploit or criticize like a creepy ex or over bearing mom.

We got time; this team isn't making any noise for the next few years.  Just let the kids play

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Than you know how ridiculous you sound blaming the whole thing on Virtanen alone no?

Nah. Not JUST Virtanen. He did have a factor though, whether you like it or not. 

Blackwood gave up a few pretty questionable goals.

The coach has plenty of prime opportunities to call a time out to settle the troops.

The referees were inconsistent both ways ruining the flow of the game. 

This is the only game I've been raging after because I believe we genuinely deserved to win based on our play. 

Feel free to look through this thread PRIOR to this game and you will see I have not made a negative comment about him up until this point. I was not happy drafting him, but have not made any judgement since he was drafted. 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Upvote 1

Virtanen's obviously not the only reason Canada lost but he was supposed to be a top-6 winger for them and couldn't get it done offensively. Their other forwards played reasonably well but I think defence and goaltending lost it for Canada, not Virtanen's inability to produce offence. Those were some bad penalties to take though that really hurt the team and he did more bad than good at the WJC, but certainly not the cause for the loss.

As for his individual play, pretty terrible. We can preach patience as much as we want but he down-right needed to be better at the WJC, especially as a former top-10 pick and 19 year old. Not good, but there's time.

Now, as for Benning wanting him to stay with the Canucks to control his lifestyle, I think that's the single stupidest thing we can do with his development. Sure, having Jake with the Canucks will be better for him OFF the ice, but much worse for him ON the ice. His confidence must be absolutely shot, you can't ignore the importance of confidence on a young player. The kid is getting 10 minutes a night banging and crashing around the ice, if that, when he needs to be developing as a scoring top-6 winger. I'd much rather him play 15-20 minutes a night with the elite Hitmen top liners and Sanheim, who are actually doing better than the Canucks this season. Get him back there, get him well above a point per game in the WHL and get his scoring touch back.

I believe he'd become a better scorer if he started from the bottom again at junior, then slowly, gradually works his way up against tougher defencemen and goalies in the AHL. That's how you learn these things, not by being thrown into the NHL to drown. And for those who say "scoring isn't everything", it's a damn big part of a #6 pick's game. We know he can hit and skate but he needs to complete his game back in junior, then with the Utica coaches before he gets a sniff at the NHL level because it just looks all far too overwhelming for him ON the ice.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

According to todays Botchford article in the Province, Benning is quoted as saying that they will be deciding by Jan 10 what to do with Jake.  So, he's coming back to the Canucks for a few days, then we'll see.  Here's the link.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/botchford+canucks+staying+course+with/11627537/story.html

I just saw on sports net or tsn that Benning said he is not going back to junior at all. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, AlphaHoneyBadger said:

I just saw on sports net or tsn that Benning said he is not going back to junior at all. 

Good.  Thank you for posting that.  I'm glad to hear he's staying, because I enjoy seeing his size, speed, and skill.  He hits like a Mac truck too.  I'm thinking he scores 10+ in the second half.  Then all the naysayers can kiss my furry Melmacian nose.  We don't kiss ass on my planet.