The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NTC Vs Increased Salary

So whats the better option for a franchise when signing a player, whether it be one of their own or a free agent.

If you offer a player an NTC you're likely to save anywhere from 500K to maybe 2M depending on variables. However as we've seen now a NTC can handicap the return you get if the player doesn't work out with your team.

Or would you rather pay the player the extra 2M to come to your team without a NTC no strings attatched. Keep in mind that this limits who else you can target because of the increased salary, and other teams may not be so willing to trade for a guy that makes 7M as opposed to 5

It will never happen, players union would never go for it...but just like they had to introduce the cap to protect moronic GM's from handing out absolutely ridiculous contracts *cough* Holik $9mil a year *cough*, I really wish they would implement a maximum allotment of NTC's that teams can hand out.

Something along the lines of 6 NTC's per team. For clarification, the Canucks before we dealt Luongo had 12 NTC's, some full, some limited, last year.

We should adopt a team policy with NTC's that they be limited . Either a player can submit a list of 10 teams that he wishes to be traded to or 10 teams that he can refuse. That atleast allows the team to have some flexibility.

NTC are franchise suicide they ruin the return of the asset. pay the player what he's worth (market value) at the time of his contract, trade to make space or trade the player in question.

this best of both worlds is just plain stupid and like louie kesler and even garrison diminishes the value by a great deal. two teams bidding on a guy or 29. NTCs have and will continue to cost this franchise far more than the rewards they have produced. case and point LA kings 1 ntc to a guy they considered buying out. huh shouldn't that tell GMs something about building a winner

how can you build when you can only get what a one or two other gms will give you, knowing they are your only options .and then to hand them out like candy to guys like hansen higgins hamhuis garrison ect.. wow, now that is just terrible managing

Glut of forwards now some thing will give especially if we sign a 2nd line center (stasny, richards,) and a elite winger

Sedin

Sedin

Burrows

Kassian

Bonino

Mattias

Dorsett

Kenins

Lain

Sestito

Higgins

Horvat

Fox

Jensen

Hansen

Richardson

Shinkaruk

Gaunce

Vey

21 forwards fighting for 13-14 spots if we sign 2 freeagents. Trades are coming woot woot good bye hansen and burrows and richardson time to go young

I would argue that Gillis was proven right about NTC being a good idea. Once the team starts losing, enough of those players will want out or be willing to waive that you are golden anyway.

You may say that the control that player has over a trade lowers their value. I would counter that the good value contract (due the the NTC) creates some of that value in the first place.

I would argue that Gillis was proven right about NTC being a good idea. Once the team starts losing, enough of those players will want out or be willing to waive that you are golden anyway.

You may say that the control that player has over a trade lowers their value. I would counter that the good value contract (due the the NTC) creates some of that value in the first place.

Before the scenario where a team can hold a player's cap space when they trade him I wold say NTC. That new policy changes a lot

Archived