The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

Only 6 times.

hmmmmm, on the Mcguire monster scale, that's not that good... unless... how long was the interview? less than 6 min? for him to be a genuine NHL prospect he needs to get 1 monster/min (though some detractors might say 2) . otherwise he's a bust.

Edited by avelanch

hmmmmm, on the Mcguire monster scale, that's not that good... unless... how long was the interview? less than 6 min? for him to be a genuine NHL prospect he needs to get 1 monster/min (though some detractors might say 2) . otherwise he's a bust.

The Desi-McGuire scale ;)

• 3 weeks later...

What's Demko studying? Maybe he'd want to stay in college for longer?

From an Article in Dec

"Demko fast-tracked his schooling to get to Boston College and is so fascinated by human nature that he’s studying psychology."

Good subject to be studying as a goalie, and a member of this the team in this media market.

From an Article in Dec

"Demko fast-tracked his schooling to get to Boston College and is so fascinated by human nature that he’s studying psychology."

Good subject to be studying as a goalie, and a member of this the team in this media market.

Also not a horrible skill for post hockey career. Coaching, sports psychology etc

I'm always surprised that players don't stay in college longer, and get an education to fall back on. It seems like that's the reason to go to college over the major junior route. I get that you can always go back, but if you were looking to turn pro right away why go to college?

I'm always surprised that players don't stay in college longer, and get an education to fall back on. It seems like that's the reason to go to college over the major junior route. I get that you can always go back, but if you were looking to turn pro right away why go to college?

I'm assuming it's because of the difficulty of balancing a hockey career and getting an education.

Overall, I agree. Stay in school and secure your future beyond the game and all that stuff....

However, if you're a higher pick (first or second rounder) and you have a very finite career ahead of you (average NHL career is approximately 5.5 years) you must feel some pressure to go pro at the earliest opportunity I think.

Most of the players we've had go the college route have done at least half the full college career, and I think most of them have finished their education after going pro. Does it matter if they do all 4 years at the school while playing for them or just that they finish their degree?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how to embed tweets especially on my phone, but 1130 is reporting that Demko just had surgery on both his hips and will be off of skates untill August.

We all knew it was coming, interesting to see how he performs next year

Have learned that #Canucks draft pick and Boston College goalie Thatcher Demko had surgery on both his hips last week in NY.

Demko should be on skates within 2 months, taking shots in August.

• Upvote 1

i'm surprised he didn't get it done last off season, to be honest. hopefully he has a quick recovery and get back to form before the season starts.

Probably have a slow start and middling season and CDC will lose it's collective cheese.

Its hard to manage to finish school while chasing down the pursuit of an NHL dream at the same time.

YOu can always go back to school and finish the degree at whatever age, but you can only play hockey once in a lifetime. Once you get old you lose that chance so why not live the dream while you can and then chase something a lil more practical later when you have loads of time to kill.

some forgo their last few years of University/college to go pro and live the dream as others might choose to finish off to maximize opportunities later down the road which I think is the smart way to do things

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports 15m15 minutes ago

Have learned that #Canucks draft pick and Boston College goalie Thatcher Demko had surgery on both his hips last week in NY.

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports 12m12 minutes ago

Demko should be on skates within 2 months, taking shots in August.

He played that well with bad hips? Best goalie ever with good hips?

He played that well with bad hips? Best goalie ever with good hips?

we've known since the draft that he's needed this surgery. and it's not that he had "bad" hips, but they are not as good as they can be.

Very true.

As per this story, the Jets drafted goalie Eric Comrie last year under very similar circumstances:

Hip procedures for goalies are increasingly common, relatively easy and successful a vast majority of time. Goalies are recovering more quickly every year, and some are adamant they have gained both flexibility and strength in the hips after full recovery.

It’s a point Eddie Lack kept making when he showed up at training camp in the fall, fully recovered from his own hip surgery.

Jonas Hiller has called the surgery a “non-issue.”

When it comes to the draft, that kind of knowledge can be a pretty significant advantage.

Eric Comrie had surgeries on each hip six days apart in January 2013. He was back on the ice in June. He then seemed to slide a bit in the 2013 NHL draft. Ranked No. 2, three goalies were drafted before the Winnipeg Jets took him with the 59th overall pick.

Comrie now looks like one of the steals of the draft. Comrie returned this season and put up a .925 save percentage.

Demko knows Comrie and his story well.

“He had the same thing and he recovered and clearly it worked out for him,” Demko said.

I'm really excited about this pick and I think we've found our next number one goalie. This guy is that good.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Botchford+hazard+Canucks+drafting+goalie+Thatcher+Demko/9985638/story.html