The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

Just now, Gstank29 said:

That idea is beyond rational.

A it could cost us a playoff spot

B it could severely hurt his development and confidence which is everything for a goalie

C it will upset the team AND our goalies

D it could cost mangement their jobs

There is literally no way you could rationalize that, it makes no sense. There aren't many teams in the league that have the track record that Vancouver has recently and that has a job waiting for him in 1-2 years

A LOL

B Exaggeration. If 10 games is going to destroy his confidence then he was never cut out for being a pro player to begin with.

C How will they know? The agreement will be between Demko and Benning that sometime during the year he will get a call up or in the case of injuries.

D Losing Demko to FA could also contribute to management losing their jobs.

It makes perfect sense if he plans on heading back for another year of college. This offseason we have the leverage of making this offer. That will not be the case next offseason when there will be no financial or contractual incentives to sign with the Canucks.

I do not want to take the risk of waiting till next offseason for him to sign. It's too tempting for these kids to come so close to FA and not seeing what's out there. 

7 minutes ago, Toews said:

It was a bad idea just admit it.

The financial incentive is the same for every team in the league if he hits August 15th. You can only offer so much money under the CBA but much like your idea, your response wasn't very well thoughtout.

Edited by Gstank29

7 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

It was a bad idea just admit it.

They financial incentive is the same for every team in the league if he hits August 15th. You can only offer so much money under the CBA but much like your idea, your response wasn't very well thoughtout.

Why? Because you said so?

Which is exactly what I said. This year the Canucks can offer Demko something that no other team can. An opportunity to burn a year of his ELC. Next year there will be no difference between what the Canucks offer and what another team offers. That means quoting my earlier post, "no financial or contractual incentives to sign with the Canucks".

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Who cares, we have a young future #1 goalie in Markstrom. If you wanna walk, then walk, we don't really need you anyway. 

Recover the 2nd and I'd be happy. 

There is no guarantee that Markstrom will be a #1.

How do you propose we recover the 2nd? There is no compensation if he signs with another team and any team trading for him right now will be cognizant of that fact.

I hate this fear mongering as it is seems silly to worry about something when he hasn't even made a decision yet but let's not pretend like it won't be a big blow if he actually does walk.

Just now, Toews said:

Why? Because you said so?

Which is exactly what I said. This year the Canucks can offer Demko something that no other team can. An opportunity to burn a year of his ELC. Next year there will be no difference between what the Canucks offer and what another team offers. That means quoting my earlier post, "no financial or contractual incentives to sign with the Canucks".

There is no guarantee that Markstrom will be a #1.

How do you propose we recover the 2nd? There is no compensation if he signs with another team and any team trading for him right now will be cognizant of that fact.

I hate this fear mongering as it is seems silly to worry about something when he hasn't even made a decision yet but let's not pretend like it won't be a big blow if he actually does walk.

College goalies need to be taken with a grain of salt. The vast majority of them go down in burning flames. 

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

College goalies need to be taken with a grain of salt. The vast majority of them go down in burning flames. 

If you removed the word "college" from your post, it would be just as accurate. In any case I agree, predicting the development of goaltending prospects is very difficult.

Regardless though Demko is a top 5 goaltending prospect IMO and has as good a chance as any prospect to become a future #1. 

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Harvey, come back to the light!  Step off that path to darkness, it won't end well...

Damn, someone hacked my account...

No worries, I'm back now.  Was someone on this thread actually agreeing with Desi?  Get this guy some help, now!!  :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Harvey Spector said:

Damn, someone hacked my account...

No worries, I'm back now.  Was someone on this thread actually agreeing with Desi?  Get this guy some help, now!!  :ph34r:

There is little difference between Wink and Desi, each of them is just as extreme just in the other direction.

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

If you removed the word "college" from your post, it would be just as accurate. In any case I agree, predicting the development of goaltending prospects is very difficult.

Regardless though Demko is a top 5 goaltending prospect IMO and has as good a chance as any prospect to become a future #1. 

They always have crazy inflated save % and a low GAA. Everyone is like OMG!!!! It's Hasek. 

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

They always have crazy inflated save % and a low GAA. Everyone is like OMG!!!! It's Hasek. 

Lol I can see that. Demko played on a very strong team as well. Still be was the best goaltender in the NCAA and that has to count for something...hopefully.

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

what is this in regard too..as Im not a twitter guy?

All Demko did was retweet posts made by some other NHL teams that announced the signings of some of his close friends such as the NJ Devils (for the signings of Stantini and Wood, his BC teammates). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

All Demko did was retweet posts made by some other NHL teams that announced the signings of some of his close friends such as the NJ Devils (for the signings of Stantini and Wood, his BC teammates). 

sounds like some Canuck fans were on him for that and he was defending it.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Damn we have some dumbass fans..if we are worried about Demko signing this sure isnt going to help. :picard:

We can take solace in the fact that social media is a cesspool and Demko will face such criticism with any market he signs in. People are idiots whether in Vancouver or elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Like Cory Schneider? The last goalie the Canucks drafted from Boston College?

Edited by Ghostsof1915

WHile I think its funny that some panic, thers a legitimate concern here.

If anyone here was in Demkos shoes, it would be a tough decision.  Just one more year of college...  Then he could be a UFA....  And choose where he wants to live.  

That being said, Vancouver is a very tempting spot and at the end of the day, I do think he signs here, but if he does in fact remain in college, I also think he'll be trade bait at the draft.

Its unfortunate, but its part of the CBA.  These college players are well within their rights, and its a nice perk for them.  Demko is a smart kid and a collaborator, so he wants to talk to friends, family, and other baby Canucks...  Not much of a shocker to be perfectly honest.

For Demko the decision is tricky because his opportunity with us has to begin next season. Management wants him to have a year in Utica, Miller's contract would expire thereafter and Demko would have the opportunity to earn a spot. If he goes the college route, his path with us would be a little unclear, as we would need to sign a third string for next year, and another NHL goalie for the year following (both of which would be filled by Demko if he signed). If this becomes the case, then there would be a logjam of goalies within our system, making it more difficult to see a clear cut path with the Canucks, following his degree completion. 

So, what I'm saying is: turn pro now... or risk having to battle for a spot in the future. 

35 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

For Demko the decision is tricky because his opportunity with us has to begin next season. Management wants him to have a year in Utica, Miller's contract would expire thereafter and Demko would have the opportunity to earn a spot. If he goes the college route, his path with us would be a little unclear, as we would need to sign a third string for next year, and another NHL goalie for the year following (both of which would be filled by Demko if he signed). If this becomes the case, then there would be a logjam of goalies within our system, making it more difficult to see a clear cut path with the Canucks, following his degree completion. 

So, what I'm saying is: turn pro now... or risk having to battle for a spot in the future. 

This is very true.... Which is why a lot of people think he will go the UFA route if he doesn't sign in the next few weeks.  It is fairly obvious that if he wants to play for the nukcks then he needs to sign this year, get one year of pro under Green and step into the backup roll in 2017-18 season.

one thing I haven't seen anyone mention that might have some weight is the expansion draft. 

If Demko signs with Vancouver and stays in the AHL he won't have to be protected if the expansion happens in 2017.... As long as he doesn't get more than 9 games(I believe) next year with the nucks.  

If he goes the UFA route then whichever team he goes to would have to protect him from the expansion team or take a chance he gets picked up.

Edited by TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy