The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

If the Canucks can somehow manage to sneak into the playoffs you gotta love our chances to be giant killers in the first round with Demko playing like this. Nobody is gonna want to face him in the playoffs. A goalie can get into an opposing team's heads and cause chaos.  Love it.

• Cheers 2

I did a look at my assessment for Vezina candidates today and Demko came out 8th. For context, when I did this at the 1/4 mark of the season, I didn't even consider Demko in my assessment, which shows how strong he's been since December. Since Boudreau took over, Demko has had an 11-4-1 record and a .936 save percentage.

For those curious, my top three were Markstrom, Jarry, and Shesterkin, in that order.

On 2/13/2022 at 12:20 PM, higgyfan said:

I often hear people say 'they only won because of the goalie'.  As if the win is undeserving.

In the case of the Nucks, the goalie is the best player on our team. So... if Demko wins a game because

of his extraordinary skills, how is it any different from other teams reporting their best player (Matthews, McD, Mackinnon, etc) won the game? 

It's a team game.  A win is a win, regardless who the starring player is.

I actually strongly agree with this. Few things irritate me more than people discrediting wins due to a strong goaltender. The most common one I hear is the discredit of our run to game 7 of the second round in 2020. Even though Demko carried us, we still earned it by winning enough games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I actually strongly agree with this. Few things irritate me than people discrediting wins due to a strong goaltender. The most common one I hear is the discredit of our run to game 7 of the second round in 2020. Even though Demko carried us, we still earned it by winning enough games.

Put me in this boat as well. I just went on a rant about this after the last halolk game. "We can't rely on a vezna goalie every game". Hell yeah we can. We took the time and assets to invest in a goalie. Other teams didn't. 

If that's the case the Bruins can't rely on Thomas to win a cup. 

Boom. Just like that we're the 2011 Stanley Cup champions. 

• Upvote 1

Demko starting to let in some average goals and let in more than usual since the Calgary drubbing. I do worry that Bruce is going to ride him hard because we don't have a good back-up option and maybe just not practice him, and hope this doesn't derail him completely.

Ideally I'd like to see us get rid of/press-box Halak and bring Spencer Martin up - I think the guys would trust him based on how well he played for us, because I really don't want to see Demko play every single of the final games, and putting Halak in net for those back-to-backs will end up with >5 goals against yet again. 

Demko's never played this many games before, we can't forget that he's still learning and I hope we don't exhaust him because the last few games haven't been great by any means.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1