The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

Rougher couple games from Demko lately. .839 in Minnesota and .833 tonight in Calgary. Halak's injury requiring Demko to play might've factored into it. Exhaustion could be coming into play with his heavy workload.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope Demko's injury is not serious. 

The season ending conference where he basically said they are still trying to figure out whether his injury can be heal on its own or needs surgery is a bit concerning. This team needs a healthy Demko to be successful. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 1:55 PM, c00kies said:

You could tell Demko wasn't himself near the end of the season.

I hope Martin or whichever backup we get can reduce his load for next year.

We are so lucky to have a top 10 goalie and Demko is only 26 years old..So many good years left and only 5 million X 4 years..

Imagine Oilers with Demko or how good Demko would look on a team like Colorado.. With Colorado he would have stats 2.20 GAA - SA% 922 win them a cup..

Oiler must go get a top 20 goalie..They will have to give up a good asset.. Husso or Billington,(Blues)  Ducks - Gibson 28

5 minutes ago, wildcam said:

We are so lucky to have a top 10 goalie and Demko is only 26 years old..So many good years left and only 5 million X 4 years..

Imagine Oilers with Demko or how good Demko would look on a team like Colorado.. With Colorado he would have stats 2.20 GAA - SA% 922 win them a cup..

Oiler must go get a top 20 goalie..They will have to give up a good asset.. Husso or Billington,(Blues)  Ducks - Gibson 28

Heard the Canucks' goalie coach saying he wants to see Demko play around 57 games during next season.  So our backup will be playing 25.  Can't have it where Demko is supposed to get the night off and the backup does a "Halak" and gets yanked forcing Demko to come in.  Plus, we need to have a good start to the year so we aren't forced to play Demko too much.  

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Heard the Canucks' goalie coach saying he wants to see Demko play around 57 games during next season.  So our backup will be playing 25.  Can't have it where Demko is supposed to get the night off and the backup does a "Halak" and gets yanked forcing Demko to come in.  Plus, we need to have a good start to the year so we aren't forced to play Demko too much.  

It depends on the schedule, but I think he should get every back-to-back off (only play 1 of the 2),

There are approximately 12-13 games a month, so he should play 8 or 9 out of the 12/13 games a month. 

However, I think he will probably start out heavier (to get into form), and then get more rest nearing the end of the season so he can be fresher for the playoffs.

On 6/9/2022 at 4:00 PM, awalk said:

Was just reading this article and am just so dang thankful that we have Demko 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/six-potential-value-goalies-for-maple-leafs-oilers-to-consider/

Canucks have had solid goaltending stretching back to the time Dave Nonis was the GM (when he acquired Luongo).  That's the one consistant positive thing (whether the goalie be a drafted prospect or a UFA) going thru multiple GM's now.  

15 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Canucks have had solid goaltending stretching back to the time Dave Nonis was the GM (when he acquired Luongo).  That's the one consistant positive thing (whether the goalie be a drafted prospect or a UFA) going thru multiple GM's now.  

Yep, I remember very well the Vancouver goaltending graveyard before the Luongo arrival changed everything. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, awalk said:

Yep, I remember very well the Vancouver goaltending graveyard before the Luongo arrival changed everything. 

Yeah it's amazing that Brian Burke's one weakness was his inability to get us a starting goalie.  Cloutier was close but he seemed to always fall apart in the post-season.  The single Cup win Burke has on his resume (as a GM).........the previous GM got that legit starting goalie.  

Nonis not only acquired Luongo via trade but was also the GM that drafted Schneider.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I know our Nucks missed the playoffs, so the season can't be considered a success... but in my humble opinion, this was genuinely one of the best seasons from a goaltender in our club's history.

Probably top 5, but would have looked and felt a bit different had he played behind a better, more structured team.

On 6/13/2022 at 10:28 AM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Nonis not only acquired Luongo via trade but was also the GM that drafted Schneider.

And then didn't trade Schneider for Brad Richards as well.