The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

2 hours ago, coryberg said:

Demko channeling his inner Kirk McLean this morning at practice.:towel:

Screenshot_20211220-164045_Chrome.jpg

Paying homage to one of the Canucks' greats...does everyone here get the feeling that Thatcher just simply gets it?  The kid is cerebral, athletic, articulate, humble, hard-working, mature, and pretty much any other superlative adjective you want to use for him.  Just what you want in your franchise goalie.

Been a Canucks fan since 1989 and I have to say, Demko is my favorite all-time Canuck.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 7:42 PM, bigbadcanucks said:

Paying homage to one of the Canucks' greats...does everyone here get the feeling that Thatcher just simply gets it?  The kid is cerebral, athletic, articulate, humble, hard-working, mature, and pretty much any other superlative adjective you want to use for him.  Just what you want in your franchise goalie.

Been a Canucks fan since 1989 and I have to say, Demko is my favorite all-time Canuck.

Luongo is still the greatest goaltender in Canucks history (though Demko is currently building his case), but Lou was definitely a bigger ego and far more emotional on and off the ice.

Demmer is just so levelheaded, well-spoken, etc. 
Like you said, an absolute ideal franchise goaltender to build around. 

• Cheers 2

22 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I met Demko summer prospects camp in Shawnigan Lake.  I went there to watch our new 5th oa pick in Juolevi!  I was stoked to meet him.  I got a chance to but Juolevi seemed timid an standoffish, so I just bobbed my head in respect and moved on. 

There were two other interactions with players that left a much more positive impression on me.  1) that's the year Stecher had signed as a fa... I watched him pass me 4-5 times.  He was super focused with a snarl on his face... Super determined.  I could see right there (even though he was so small) that he would be a NHL player for years to come.  2) After their practice, Boeser and Demko came out to sign autographs, I was just standing around when a young fan asked Demko for an autograph but didn't have a pen.  Thatcher looked my way, and I offered my pen... I'm feeling a little sheepish... Like a little kid, even though I'm twice these guys ages.  Anyway, Demko says thanks, takes my pen and signs the young fans hat.  He motions to offer my pen back, but asks if I would like an autograph.  Again I'm feeling silly... All I have is the paper with the skaters that would be on the ice that day.  I said sure.  Thatcher looked directly at me, smiled and said he appreciate the use of my pen.  I laughed and said... "You mean my high end 'bick' pen... Yah no problem!"  He laughed out loud and said here you go.  I said thanks man... And all of a sudden blurted out "I am really excited to see you in a Nucks jersey... You're going to be an very important part of this new core, you'll be elite I can just tell..." He looked at me, with a quiet, stoic confidence look, smiled and said I appreciate that, thank you.  

Long winded story I know... But after having some time to process those interactions with these young men.  Demko left the strongest impression on me.  I was so impressed by his energy... level, humble but confident, warm, inclusive.  At his age then (20 yrs old) I was just so impressed by his maturity and well rounded personality.  I later friended him on Twitter, dropping him a line of encouragement from time to time.  Received some likes from both his dad and mom.  Kid was raised really well for sure. 

He and Podz are my favorite players on this team... When all is said and done, I believe he'll go down as the greatest canucks goaltender in franchise history.  

I love first hand stories like yours, @Hogs & Podz.  Stories like yours is the best part of CDC, IMHO. If you've got more, I'd love read them.  Thanks for sharing.

Sharing = caring.  Happy New Years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Not all his fault for sure, but Demko is definitely struggling more against these strong teams. 67 saves on 79 shots in the last three games for a .848 save percentage. Hopefully he can get back to at least average to help us get a stronger chance at winning.

58 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not all his fault for sure, but Demko is definitely struggling more against these strong teams. 67 saves on 79 shots in the last three games for a .848 save percentage. Hopefully he can get back to at least average to help us get a stronger chance at winning.

He is, but our special teams certainly haven't helped, nor has our defense. Carolina turned the puck around seemingly at will earlier and had more shorthanded chances than I've seen any team have on the PK in ages. Their puck control and ability to have dangerous rush after rush seemingly out of nowhere was more than we could handle. 

We've been playing the cream of the league and we don't belong in that group, the gap was pretty evident today. He's got to be better, but numbers without context are just numbers. He needs to be better, but the team as a whole, despite their efforts, hasn't been great. Florida was the better team almost all game, and all Tampa had to do to beat us was flip the special teams switch despite our being in the mix 5v5. Carolina straight up outclassed us. 

He's a great tender playing behind a fringe playoff team, I think people forget that at times. We're not the sort of team that's going to win most nights if our goaltender is simply average. Our defense and forward depth isn't usually going to be enough to make up for that, particularly when our special teams struggle. 

Edited by Coconuts