The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

1 hour ago, Toews said:

4) Doug Wilson doesn't trade 1sts

SJS traded a 1st for Jones, they wont be moving a 1st for a 1 yr rental goalie in miller.

Unlikely he moves in the summer, during the season closer to deadline I see that as a possibility  if a west coast team is struggling to keep pucks out of their net

2 minutes ago, Yotes said:

SJS traded a 1st for Jones, they wont be moving a 1st for a 1 yr rental goalie in miller.

Unlikely he moves in the summer, during the season closer to deadline I see that as a possibility  if a west coast team is struggling to keep pucks out of their net

Hi Dallas Stars ::D

10 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Hi Dallas Stars ::D

ya but we would be taking back niemi with an extra year on his deal, which i would be okay with to do a split with markstrom or be a backup who could step in.

But Dallas would have to sweeten the deal since we would be taking on the extra year. Miller may go their as they are a good team also. But it isnt California

1 minute ago, Yotes said:

ya but we would be taking back niemi with an extra year on his deal, which i would be okay with to do a split with markstrom or be a backup who could step in.

But Dallas would have to sweeten the deal since we would be taking on the extra year. Miller may go their as they are a good team also. But it isnt California

Shorter flight from DAL to LA than from VAN I think and no customs....

And yes, with Niemi coming back, they'd have to pay...

original.jpg

10 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Loved this pick from the start. Even better that Calgary took Mason McDonald over Demko :lol:.

Hopefully they picked another Kidd and left another Brodeur behind :P

On 2016-03-10 at 10:42 AM, Alflives said:

The Donald wins the Presidency, and gets access to the EASY launch button and the world could end, but that would be during the season. :ph34r:

I'd put greater odds on Hitlery doing that, but agree that both of them are compelling reasons to tune out and watch the Canucks as much as possible in the mean time. 

7 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I'd put greater odds on Hitlery doing that, but agree that both of them are compelling reasons to tune out and watch the Canucks as much as possible in the mean time. 

Demko is a great young goalie, but I don't know if he can stop what those two are bringing.

• Upvote 1

On 2016-03-10 at 2:58 AM, McHortanen said:

I think he may surprise enough to play next season with us. The best approach would be to play him 2-3 years as an AHL starter, but Demko may force us to rush him. If he puts these stats up in his first AHL season there's no way he dont get a shot at the big club. Heck, we could be a Markstrom injury away from having Demko as a full time starter for us next year if Miller gets traded, which is a strong possibility. If SJ loses due to poor goaltending in the playoffs Miller will be a huge piece to offer.

Miller (50%)

4th

For 

1st

Riemer

All those years (I think it was 3) that Schneider was in Winnipeg, he did get short call-ups to the big club and played a few games.  Got hammered a few times and did well others but it clearly showed him what the next level was and how to prepare for it.  That kind of developmental plan for Demko would make lots of sense.  If he turns out to be another Patrick Roy and forces our hand early, so much the better.  But I can't see them moving Miller any sooner than next year's trade deadline, and even then the odds are that Benning just plays out the string with him.  Demko would have to be a total beast in Utica to make Miller redundant in JB's eyes.  I'd love for it to happen but won't be holding my breath.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

All those years (I think it was 3) that Schneider was in Winnipeg, he did get short call-ups to the big club and played a few games.  Got hammered a few times and did well others but it clearly showed him what the next level was and how to prepare for it.  That kind of developmental plan for Demko would make lots of sense.  If he turns out to be another Patrick Roy and forces our hand early, so much the better.  But I can't see them moving Miller any sooner than next year's trade deadline, and even then the odds are that Benning just plays out the string with him.  Demko would have to be a total beast in Utica to make Miller redundant in JB's eyes.  I'd love for it to happen but won't be holding my breath.

We could sign/trade for someone to backup Markstrom if Miller gets moved.

Signing Miller =/= Demko must be ready. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If we are going to have so many young players, who tend to make mental errors, we sure as hell better have a good and experienced goalie.  Having a CRAPPY and inexperienced goalie gets us the results of the Coilers, the Lames, the Laughs, and the Suckabers.  IMHAO, we might need to extend Miller.  We don't want our young guys to play in front of inexperienced CRAP.  

Now if Demko proves he's great and he's ready after a season in Utica, then we trade MARKSTROM, and extend Miller. IMHAO.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we are going to have so many young players, who tend to make mental errors, we sure as hell better have a good and experienced goalie.  Having a CRAPPY and inexperienced goalie gets us the results of the Coilers, the Lames, the Laughs, and the Suckabers.  IMHAO, we might need to extend Miller.  We don't want our young guys to play in front of inexperienced CRAP.  

Now if Demko proves he's great and he's ready after a season in Utica, then we trade MARKSTROM, and extend Miller. IMHAO.

The team by and large has played better in front of Markstrom. And no, you don't trade Markstrom over Miller. 

You're firing out some pretty cockeye posts this morning Alf...

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The team by and large has played better in front of Markstrom. And no, you don't trade Markstrom over Miller. 

You're firing out some pretty cockeye posts this morning Alf...

I didn't take my morning meds yet.  I'm hiding in my spaceship, but don't tell that to Mrs Alf.  I'm hiding, because my powers of invisibility only work after sunset.  :frantic:

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

I certainly agree but was specifically addressing McHortanen's hopes that Demko could force his way onto the big club next year.  By suggesting that it this is very unlikely, my point leads to yours.  Your suggestion about Niemi coming back in a deal with Dallas is one scenario, Reimer from San Jose another, and undoubtedly there are more.  I still think Benning rides it out with Miller until midnight of June 30, 2017 though.  He just likes the guy too much.