The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Ryan Miller to Vancouver Thread

He had a .913 even strength save percentage last season. Welllllllll below league average. Eddie Lack had a .921 even strength save percentage in his first season as a NHL player (league average), and got slammed with 19 straight starts. Not sure why Canucks would have an interested in Miller, Lack/Markstrom would likely produce similar or better numbers.

Lack would outplay him my christmas and this team would be in the midst of another goalie controversy. A big no thanx to Miller.

Miller had a .923 SV% and a 2.72 GAA with a team that finished with the worst record in the league. That's all you need to know.

I don't think it's fair to put the sole blame on him for the Blues loss to Chicago either. The blues were not good enough.

He had a .913 even strength save percentage last season. Welllllllll below league average. Eddie Lack had a .921 even strength save percentage in his first season as a NHL player (league average), and got slammed with 19 straight starts. Not sure why Canucks would have an interested in Miller, Lack/Markstrom would likely produce similar or better numbers.

Lack would outplay him my christmas and this team would be in the midst of another goalie controversy. A big no thanx to Miller.

He played on the Sabres for most of the year.... what do you expect? As far as I'm concerned that is a good SV% playing on the last place team in the NHL.

Ummmmmm, that's a humor post to lighten the mood of what will surely become a s#$t-show of a thread, right?

Ummmmmm

No

That is MY opinion.

That is a stated fact about the youth of goaltenders on marquee teams

And that is the truth about our current goaltending depth.

Looking at our Goals Against last year, that was not the issue as we were middle of the pack with Lack who supplanted Luongo and then played something like 19 straight games where our teams goals per game hovered around 1.14.

Goaltending is not our problem. Goal scoring is

This is stupid if true.

I had a feeling Aquaman would still have a huge influence and under no circumstances would he want to rebuild and risk losing more ticket revenue.

I'm new here and have been reading similar arguments throughout the site. That aquilini is 'meddling' lol.

Firstly, every team needs to go into the year with the attitude it is going to try and win a cup/championship, whichever league/level they are at. Why? Because if you don't you breed a culture of accepting losing. Now is that what we fans want? I think not.

Further, the fact that managment (see management not owner) is not giving up sends a message to this team, we don't give up, we don't want quitters, you don't give up. If you do, leave - ie Kesler.

Signing Miller is not a terrible idea depending on term. Lack is a terrific goalie but not ready, he needs another year to learn the game, improve, deal with the pressure etc.

Will Miller sign for 1-2 years? 1 probably not, 2, maybe. That gives us a chance regardless. Miller may not be the same goalie as we once new but he may still have some of it in him.

Our group is not as bad as last year suggested, if the Twins bounce back, which they will, as will Burr and Edler, we get an equivalent contribution from Bonino, and Jensen and Kassian take the next big steps, who knows what happens.

Add in more depth and size and you just never know. Chemistry is a weird thing, sometimes it just happens.

Would you have picked the Rangers in December (well out of the playoffs, rumblings of AV being a terribile hire and Torts the right one) to have made the finals? Nope, no one did.

I am not suggesting we will get there, what I am suggesting is you CANNOT have a defeatist attitude in life if you want to succeed, and I for one am glad the Canucks aren't just 'rolling over', especially at the start of their new era.

We don't need to breed losing as we start introducing younger players to our lineup, like Edmonton is on the cusp of.

Could drafting Demko make Markstrom expendable or is it still too early to determine that?

I don't think drafting Demko necessarily makes Markstrom expendable since Demko will be playing at Boston College next season.... but if we signed Miller it would definitely make Markstrom expendable.

Whatever they do they can not go with Lack + Markstrom next season, at the very least get a vet backup that can play 30+. I'm with a lot of people though would prefer Hiller because he's cheaper but maybe Miller has the shorter term so who knows.

I love the idea of getting Miller, big upgrade in net. i don't know why people think we are so far off.

we have 2 Elite caliber forwards with a decent supporting cast. a solid defensive core and with miller in net we would be a force to reckon with.

a few more pieces through UFA and we are contenders again. people are so eager to yell rebuild but do you know what that entails? sucking for a few years and landing good draft picks. i personally am not really interested in that route.

Whatever they do they can not go with Lack + Markstrom next season, at the very least get a vet backup that can play 30+. I'm with a lot of people though would prefer Hiller because he's cheaper but maybe Miller has the shorter term so who knows.

I said on another thread, Brodeur, he's the perfect bridge, we only need a year for Lack to prepare....Brodeur will only want a year and he's a proven winner who can help teach lack a great deal about the mental side.

He, Hasek, and Roy were 3 of the mentally toughest goalies to play the game in the modern era, who better to learn from?

I love the idea of getting Miller, big upgrade in net. i don't know why people think we are so far off.

we have 2 Elite caliber forwards with a decent supporting cast. a solid defensive core and with miller in net we would be a force to reckon with.

a few more pieces through UFA and we are contenders again. people are so eager to yell rebuild but do you know what that entails? sucking for a few years and landing good draft picks. i personally am not really interested in that route.

a rebuild would basically say we are giving up on the twins and the rest of our core and you don't give up on two elite all-star forwards when they can still turn it around and post good numbers with the right support behind them.

The twins are our best chance at a cup right now so as long as Benning can get them some help (he has been doing it so far) we might just be in the mix next season or we could completely fall flat but with a new coach and bringing in players who have done it for him in the past it could be enough to get our other vets going.

Having Miller could be a huge move or it could backfire wait and see i say if we get him.

Hey, if Stastny would sign here that is one place I would spend money.

Or in a trade for a PMD... (preferably right handed!). This is, in fact, our number one need short and long term!

Then a all star PF to play with the Twins, homage to their careers and an easy place to increase team productivity!

If there was money after that???

Miller, Statsny, Myers.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Bonino Statsny Higgins

Burrows Horvat Vey

Matthias Richardson Dorsett

Hamhuis Myers

Edler Sbisa

Corrado Bieksa

Miller

Lack

I don't see how that doesn't make us a playoff team, plus it allows us to bring along youth for the future. Getting all 3 is unlikely, but as you can see we have the cap space to make the moves that would put us back to being a competitive team.

Is there are a reason people hate Miller other than being a little over-rated? I know what happened in St. Louis, that wasn't good. I also realize he seems like a perfectionist like the 2010 version of Luongo and can be easily thrown off his game. But from what I've seen, he seems like a person that wants to win and would be open to splitting games with Lack. As long as we don't spend big $$$ or sign him long term, I don't see it as a big deal especially if Hiller signs elsewhere.

I'd take Hiller over Miller, I'm just sayin' Miller is not a bad alternative.

Archived