The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2014/2015 Canucks, Excess Cap Room, UFA's and Kesler Irony

CanucksCup2018

I'm pretty sure if we play the Ducks next post season we'll get swept and Kesler will have scored PPG against us. He'll spit on this team's lifeless corpse if we even make the playoffs. We're a long ways away, people.

The lowest Pacific Division team to make the playoffs just won the Cup. As long as the Canucks keep building towards beating the Cali teams they're building a Cup-contender at the same time. It's not going to take as long as people seem to think.

The lowest Pacific Division team to make the playoffs just won the Cup. As long as the Canucks keep building towards beating the Cali teams they're building a Cup-contender at the same time. It's not going to take as long as people seem to think.

I agree and the point of the thread (seems you got it), was Benning has made some smart moves that have really provided some significant flexibility/optionality.

Now, he still has to do something with it and still make good moves (either trades/rfa, or ufa), but I think people who get hockey know the team we saw last year was not what the team is capable of.

Almost every player had their worst year in about 6-7 years, clearly we had alot of issues in the room (Lou/Kesler etc), along with coaching issues etc.

Negativity took over and snowballed. A fresh start, players returning to even a semblance of their former selves means we're a playoff team.

Now that playoff team (no changes) would easily get knocked out in the first round, we can all see that.

BUT, and the big BUT, is now, given those brilliant moves by Benning to create flexibility are the wild card...

What does he do with it? If he continues to make smart/bold moves and can keep our youth (which is a must obviously), well then who know what can happen.

As I mentioned in another post, the simply additions of Miller/Erhoff/Iginla and steps forward by Kassian/Jensen/Tanev and Horvat could make us a team to deal with. We'd have leadership, experience, speed, youth, and skill. Then it comes down to a bit of luck, health, and getting hot...

If anyone can tell me a roster like the one below can't have a CHANCE at a cup, well I'd say they are smoking the good stuff! not saying its a favorite but potential if they get hot, of course!

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS

Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($4.750m)

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Zack Kassian ($1.551m)

Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)

Linden Vey ($0.900m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($3.500m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) /

Frank Corrado ($0.591m) /

GOALTENDERS

Ryan Miller ($4.400m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

BURIED

Jacob Markstrom ($0.275m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m15.00%)

BONUS OVERAGE

$0

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,932,444; BONUSES: $858,333

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,067,556

I agree and the point of the thread (seems you got it), was Benning has made some smart moves that have really provided some significant flexibility/optionality.

Now, he still has to do something with it and still make good moves (either trades/rfa, or ufa), but I think people who get hockey know the team we saw last year was not what the team is capable of.

Almost every player had their worst year in about 6-7 years, clearly we had alot of issues in the room (Lou/Kesler etc), along with coaching issues etc.

Negativity took over and snowballed. A fresh start, players returning to even a semblance of their former selves means we're a playoff team.

Now that playoff team (no changes) would easily get knocked out in the first round, we can all see that.

BUT, and the big BUT, is now, given those brilliant moves by Benning to create flexibility are the wild card...

What does he do with it? If he continues to make smart/bold moves and can keep our youth (which is a must obviously), well then who know what can happen.

As I mentioned in another post, the simply additions of Miller/Erhoff/Iginla and steps forward by Kassian/Jensen/Tanev and Horvat could make us a team to deal with. We'd have leadership, experience, speed, youth, and skill. Then it comes down to a bit of luck, health, and getting hot...

If anyone can tell me a roster like the one below can't have a CHANCE at a cup, well I'd say they are smoking the good stuff! not saying its a favorite but potential if they get hot, of course!

FORWARDS

Linden Vey ($0.900m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) /

GOALTENDERS

Ryan Miller ($4.400m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

BURIED

BONUS OVERAGE

$0

------

Why do people just act like Markstrom can be buried like a corpse... I doubt they send him down through waivers

Why do people just act like Markstrom can be buried like a corpse... I doubt they send him down through waivers

well if they sign a veteran goalie (which from Benning and Linden they are considering) they have to do something with him right? so he clears and plays in the AHL or is traded right? they aren't going to carry three goalies on the roster right, and he's not ready.

haters gonna hate, trolls gonna troll, even when logic is right in their face!

FORWARDS

Linden Vey ($0.900m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) /

GOALTENDERS

Ryan Miller ($4.400m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

BURIED

BONUS OVERAGE

$0

------

Yes, because we're definitely a cup contender and Iginla will surely want to come here.

You want irony.What about this team makes you think any free agents want to come here.Coach,president and GM having their first swing thru the league.An aging team that will be adding some rookies to the lineup this year.No second line.A first line on the down swing.No starting goalie.Slim chance of making the playoffs next year.3-4 years for a sustained chance of making the playoffs every year.What on Gods green earth makes any informed hockey fan on this site think our Vancouver Canucks are going to make a slash in free agency tomorrow.Seriously everyone.

You want irony.What about this team makes you think any free agents want to come here.Coach,president and GM having their first swing thru the league.An aging team that will be adding some rookies to the lineup this year.No second line.A first line on the down swing.No starting goalie.Slim chance of making the playoffs next year.3-4 years for a sustained chance of making the playoffs every year.What on Gods green earth makes any informed hockey fan on this site think our Vancouver Canucks are going to make a slash in free agency tomorrow.Seriously everyone.

You're forgetting that free agents often just go to where the money is. We certainly have a lot of cap space these days. Not saying that's going to land us awesome free agents, just saying it's not far fetched.

I really can't wait to see so many bandwagoners wanting back on next year.

I suggest someone make a list of all the trolly/basher/angry kids so we can refer to it later next year....

lol! who wants to start that thread!

pretty certain that top 6 would go something like this

Sedin Sedin Burrows/Iginla

Jensen Bonino Iginla/somebody

and it would be a stretch to think both ehrhoff and iginla are even thinking about signing here imo

FORWARDS

Linden Vey ($0.900m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) /

GOALTENDERS

Ryan Miller ($4.400m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

BURIED

BONUS OVERAGE

$0

------

Pretty good stuff to read, lineups & OP, etc... like your positive outlook(reading your Vincent Peale, right?), but I'm also tempted to believe you're working in sales. If we can sign some of these guys at numbers you've listed..Wow! Could be quite the turnaround.

Guess we'll have to see what the next few days/wks have in store...

clearing just under 18 million in cap space

Pretty good stuff to read, lineups & OP, etc... like your positive outlook(reading your Vincent Peale, right?), but I'm also tempted to believe you're working in sales. If we can sign some of these guys at numbers you've listed..Wow! Could be quite the turnaround.

Guess we'll have to see what the next few days/wks have in store...

well here's my thoughts on the signings

A. Erhoff has already made a boat load and given his numbers have been at best average AND he got bought out (a bit of a black mark) I don't see someone offering him stupid money and term again. Given he played here, had his best years here, and has made money, would he sign for 3-4 years at an average of 4 mil? I don't think that's an uncompetitive offer and given his relationships with current players may be willing, if he sees other moves coming.

B. Miller same issue but relationship with Benning. I also don't see many teams 'throwing money' at this guy. St Louis, who's making their run let him go, not a glowing endorsement, I see it as more of a buyer's market for his services and Hiller is still out there, he's as useful a player. We simply need someone who can take some pressure off Lack and split.

C. Iggy, yeah the hardest player to sign. BUT, can we convince him that other moves can put us in a position to compete, yes. BUT, he does want a cup, so yes it will be hard, really comes down to Linden and Benning selling all the moves we may be making, term (which he wants).

I'm glad someone else sees the potential that this group has. With a few ufa signings we have ourselves a very good team with plenty of depth. This is an example.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Jokinen Stastny Kassian

Higgins Matthias Bonino

Dorsett Richardson Vey

Depth

Hansen, Sestito, Jensen, Archibald, Lain

Edler Tanev

Bieksa Hamhuis

Stanton Sbisa

Depth

Corrado Weber

Miller/Hiller

Lack

Markstrom

Either Lack or Markstrom will have to be traded sadly and personally I would rather see Lack get traded as he would net us some real return and Markstrom has a ton of potential. (Incoming flame)

Depth

Ericsson

Cannata

Demko

Other options include going with lack and Markstrom while signing Ehrhoff, signing Moulson etc...

HELL NO to Jokinen. Stasny will end up with a deal WAY out of the Canucks desired price. Nick Bonino is not a checking type player and Linden Vey is as far from a 4th line type player as there is. He needs to be on a scoring line to have success, possibly one of the reasons he was dealt from LA who had no room in there top 6 for him.

well here's my thoughts on the signings

A. Erhoff has already made a boat load and given his numbers have been at best average AND he got bought out (a bit of a black mark) I don't see someone offering him stupid money and term again. Given he played here, had his best years here, and has made money, would he sign for 3-4 years at an average of 4 mil? I don't think that's an uncompetitive offer and given his relationships with current players may be willing, if he sees other moves coming.

B. Miller same issue but relationship with Benning. I also don't see many teams 'throwing money' at this guy. St Louis, who's making their run let him go, not a glowing endorsement, I see it as more of a buyer's market for his services and Hiller is still out there, he's as useful a player. We simply need someone who can take some pressure off Lack and split.

C. Iggy, yeah the hardest player to sign. BUT, can we convince him that other moves can put us in a position to compete, yes. BUT, he does want a cup, so yes it will be hard, really comes down to Linden and Benning selling all the moves we may be making, term (which he wants).

One man's junk is another man's treasure...love your positivity CanucksCup2018...your optimism oozes with your handle.

Archived