The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2014/2015 Canucks, Excess Cap Room, UFA's and Kesler Irony

CanucksCup2018

I don't care if you have 118 million dollars.If a UFA wants to go to a contender with a shot at a cup,canucks ain't it.Name one that will come here to just finish out his career.Penguins will go hard after Ehrhoff..Maybe oilers as well.Stasny will get paid by Colorado.Iggie will never play for a Flames rival.I see the Canucks having to settle for what ever is left that doesn't go early on free agency day.I do see maybe Brad Richards coming here for a second line center depending if he plays cheap..Might be interesting.

It's going to be hilarious to see Anaheim's sky high 5 on 5 PDO regress to the mean, and Kesler prove that 'beastmode' is well and truly dead as Anaheim regresses a bit next year. I'm going to LOVE watching Kass, Vey, and Jensen go globetrotters on his line.

I really can't wait to see so many bandwagoners wanting back on next year.

I suggest someone make a list of all the trolly/basher/angry kids so we can refer to it later next year....

lol! who wants to start that thread!

Yeah, we all know who they are. Many stay silent, lurking until they see the opportunity to jump in and join the pity party then leap back out again when exposed as simple-minded whiners.

It is weird how a little optimism can make people angry

Some get off on negativity and feeling sorry for themselves. Wallowing in a dark pool of self-pity and despair is what makes them feel good, especially when they can magnify it amongst others with the same dysfunctional mindset. Truth, rationality, or even reasonableness have no bearing whatsoever.

As for Kesler, undoubtedly Benning explained the plan to him, and in Kesler's estimation it was going to be four years to being a contender. At the rate things are going, the Canucks will be in the playoffs this year, and be competitive to win rounds in another one or two. At the very least, the new players will bring an atmosphere of hard work and compete every night. He may have projected Gillis upon the future, not the rate of change that has already taken place.

That top 6 winger acquisition and a decent PP is all thats keeping this roster from competing for 8th place. I think Vey and Horvat start over Richardson at Center, and i see Hansen stayin over Higgins though.

Its a decent lineup to start season, awaiting a few kids to get experience in minors to start.

IFORWARDS

Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) /???????????????

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Zack Kassian ($1.551m)

Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)

Linden Vey ($0.900m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($3.500m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) /

Frank Corrado ($0.591m) /

GOALTENDERS

Ryan Miller ($4.400m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS
David Booth ($0.000m)
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

BURIED
Jacob Markstrom ($0.275m)

I don't care if you have 118 million dollars.If a UFA wants to go to a contender with a shot at a cup,canucks ain't it.Name one that will come here to just finish out his career.Penguins will go hard after Ehrhoff..Maybe oilers as well.Stasny will get paid by Colorado.Iggie will never play for a Flames rival.I see the Canucks having to settle for what ever is left that doesn't go early on free agency day.I do see maybe Brad Richards coming here for a second line center depending if he plays cheap..Might be interesting.

Ya penguins would rather let Niskanen walk and sign Erhoff...think maybe they have no cap room? Lol

And then you say the oilers will go hard but at the same time a ufa will only go to a contender?

Brad Richards is a UFA won't he want to go to a contender?

Your whole argument contradicts itself....either learn to make a coherent, well thought out comment that is consistent in logic or are just attempting to troll?

Take care

That top 6 winger acquisition and a decent PP is all thats keeping this roster from competing for 8th place. I think Vey and Horvat start over Richardson at Center, and i see Hansen stayin over Higgins though.

Its a decent lineup to start season, awaiting a few kids to get experience in minors to start.

I hope you're not saying Richardson is expendable! He was/is one of our most valuable role players and I personally think one of the best 4th line centers in the league and a great value.

Excellent in the circle, competes hard every night, excellent checker who has good hands for a 3/4 liner, good skater, excellent on the PK. Give him 2 proper hard wingers and that can be a very tough line.

Horvat is not better than Richardson, nor Vey in the role he plays. Neither have NHL experience and neither would be as effective.

Horvat should be a 2c and allowed to play his 200ft game (offense and defense) with defensively capable wingers

Vey, well we still have to see what he brings but hopefully he can be a valuable part of the 3rd and 4th line for now.

Anaheim - $16 676 667 in space with 19 players

Vancouver - $17 750 556 in space with 18 players

Don't want to sound so negative all the time but we just can't compete with Anaheim. Sure, we have about $18 million in space and can add some quality players, but Anaheim has as much space as we do, and they can attract free agents much easier. We can add a couple guys, sit back and admire the roster, but once you take a look at Anaheim's roster, you realize why we are even talking about tanking.

Don't want to sound so negative all the time but we just can't compete with Anaheim. Sure, we have about $18 million in space and can add some quality players, but Anaheim has as much space as we do, and they can attract free agents much easier. We can add a couple guys, sit back and admire the roster, but once you take a look at Anaheim's roster, you realize why we are even talking about tanking.

Yes very fair point, end of the day it is a competitive environment but relationships matter as well...

Good point though, could see Anaheim definitely taking a run at Erhoff and Iggy...and its socal!

A very good retort vs the usual angry trolling! lol

Counter, this is what Benning is paid for, let's wait and see how it turns out, end of the day, I don't think anyone 'expects' us to be contenders next year.

My point is don't count us out until we see what the roster looks like come October, how the team comes together and how players rebound.

ie I don't write things off before I know what I am writing off!

Near as I can tell, there's only three teams with cap space that could be considered "contenders".

Iginla had a brief stint in Pittsburg, would he go back there?

Detroit, but are they really that much the better team than Van? Eliminate last season as a an exception due to obvious circumstances, and I don't think so.

Anaheim. But are they players for Iginla? I haven't heard one way or the other.

Maybe the question is, can Linden sell him on the idea of playing with the Sedins and making something good happen? Strikes me, that's a first line that has the potential to be dynamite, given Iginla's sniping ability.

I'm pretty sure if we play the Ducks next post season we'll get swept and Kesler will have scored PPG against us. He'll spit on this team's lifeless corpse if we even make the playoffs. We're a long ways away, people.

Wow, who pissed in your corn flakes

NO NO NO.....No over the hill has been is needed or wanted here.

No Iggy....no Ehrhoff...no Hiller or Miller...

What we want is the next one not the last one.

we're going to have a tough time being worse than

Buffalo - they have solidified worst position in the NHL already and its clear that is their strategy, only the lottery system can screw them out of McDavid and its no even training camp! lol

Florida - also tough for me to see them improve much next year, marginally maybe

Ottawa is going to be horrendous

Edmonton - will not make any significant jump unless they unload some of their youth and balance their lineup

Then there will be a few surprise crap teams

In order for us to be in the race next year we have to be even WORSE than this year and that would mean a season where every player plays less effectively? Pretty much impossible given every player pretty much had their worst season in close to a decade last year.

Better odds of trying to put together the right mix that can can potentially get hot and see where it goes

This team is a playoff team if the Sedins, Edler, Burr play their game next year and Kassian and Jensen take the next step.

We have a very solid defense with the right coaching and a good goalie...effort and systems will get us in, so we may as well have a group that MAY have a chance if they get hot vs being stuck in the middle - not getting number one and not having a group that can get hot and get on a run...

we're going to have a tough time being worse than

Buffalo - they have solidified worst position in the NHL already and its clear that is their strategy, only the lottery system can screw them out of McDavid and its no even training camp! lol

Florida - also tough for me to see them improve much next year, marginally maybe

Ottawa is going to be horrendous

Edmonton - will not make any significant jump unless they unload some of their youth and balance their lineup

Then there will be a few surprise crap teams

In order for us to be in the race next year we have to be even WORSE than this year and that would mean a season where every player plays less effectively? Pretty much impossible given every player pretty much had their worst season in close to a decade last year.

Better odds of trying to put together the right mix that can can potentially get hot and see where it goes

This team is a playoff team if the Sedins, Edler, Burr play their game next year and Kassian and Jensen take the next step.

We have a very solid defense with the right coaching and a good goalie...effort and systems will get us in, so we may as well have a group that MAY have a chance if they get hot vs being stuck in the middle - not getting number one and not having a group that can get hot and get on a run...

You can throw Calgary in there too

Do we really want to go down a spite road? The guy gave us 11 years of his career. Lets thank him for that and wish him the best.

Sorry I can't do that. Loyalty is a strong attribute of character. When you sign a contract to play for a team, you see that contract through, you don't for selfish reasons demand to be traded so that you can win a cup. You don't handcuff your team by limiting their chances of at least getting the money back they have invested in you. You don't lie to your fans and tell them that you did not ask your team to be traded. You don't make life difficult for your fellow players with selfish, immature antics.

What you do is be a man, see your responsibilities through and give your all to your team, the team that made you a millionaire, the team you are still under contract with.

I can't thank Kesler for letting his team and fans down. I would never wish him bad luck in regards to injury or health to him or his family but I hope like hell he never wins a Stanley Cup and I know for sure others feel the same way. Good riddance Kesler, I hope you have already left the fair city of Vancouver.

many of theses ufa want to win /contend for a cup , and even teams that made the playoffs have cap space , so if you are a ufa which team are u gonna sign for a team that made the playoffs or a team that's trending downwards ( even tho we made some moves to improve) I would say 75% would sign on a team that made the playoffs

many of theses ufa want to win /contend for a cup , and even teams that made the playoffs have cap space , so if you are a ufa which team are u gonna sign for a team that made the playoffs or a team that's trending downwards ( even tho we made some moves to improve) I would say 75% would sign on a team that made the playoffs

Farhan Lalji @FarhanLaljiTSN · 52m

I'm told the #canucks will be making a big push for Iginla tomorrow. Has good relationships with Linden & Benning.

Good point...but but but what about the curse of Bruce Boudreau lol

Archived