The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Burrows' Said No To Waiving NTC

I'm not sure what camp I fall in. I love Bur and would like it if he retired a Canuck but I'd also be open to moving him if it's better for the team in the long run.

That said, I don't think now's the time. Not only is he coming off a horrible, injury riddled season that surely has decreased his trade value but he also makes for good insurance to play with the twins in case no chemistry can be found with Vrbata and/or youth. And of course he brings secondary offense along with quality two-way play and is an excellent PK'er.

Which begs the question, if you're going to move him, when is the best time? I'm not sure there's a clear answer to that. Perhaps after we're sure Vrbata and/or Jensen etc have good chemistry with the twins?

If that's the case I'd think it's more likely he'd be moved towards the deadline than in the off season. If he's moved this year at all. If we're well in to a playoff position at that point, do you risk moving secondary scoring and one of your best 2-way/clutch players?

No clear answers...

look I love burrows but if we're not in a playoff spot by the deadline I wouldn't mind Benning trading him I can see Burr waiving his ntc to montreal and tampa bay

Montreal has no use for Burrows. Look at their line-up. Where do you imagine he fits?

by the time our young guy is ready Burrows' contract will be over. I dont see any problem with keeping him in the team.

quote]

It's not a "problem" at all. It's just that he has some value now and it makes sense to parlay that value into someone who will be in a position to contribute when the young guns are ready.

Does Burrows make us better right now? Sure, but what's the point of being "better" when the best you can hope for is to be a playoff bubble team?

Montreal has no use for Burrows. Look at their line-up. Where do you imagine he fits?

I think the poster is more so commenting on teams Burrows would even consider moving to, not which teams could necessarily "use him". I'd guess Ottawa would be one too.

Mediocrity? I'm sorry I couldn't be more proud of this team. We got back to back presidents trophies. Had one bad half season and then a terrible year under a terrible coach. We aren't far removed from purely dominating the league in the evidently more difficult conference.

This team hasn't been mediocre. I take a lot of pride in back to back presidents trophies and a fixed 2011 final. This team can and will compete.

Those PT's are history now.

I disagree with your assessment that we aren't far removed from being a dominant team. We'll see who's right at season's end.

Papayas, again my reply with quote thing isn't working, so this will have to do.

Do you honestly think that Linden would have exercised is right to stay here knowing that he wasn't wanted by either the coach or management and from what some people say, a few players too? Give your head a shake because your eyes must be stuck. He's a guy with huge values and common sense and was a captain for a reason. He wouldn't have stayed here knowing that he wasn't wanted or a part of the teams future, NTC or not........SO YOU THINK ABOUT IT!!!

As for not believing the rumors, that wasn't the only source I heard that rumor from and that he was on the block.........and like the saying goes, where's there's smoke, there's fire. Not to mention the change that this team is in the process of going through. You do the math.

And I'm pretty sure that you can read, a little bit anyways, and I've said on more than one occasion that it's totally Burrows right to not accept a trade, since it's in his contract. BUT, I also can't believe that a professional athlete with even an ounce of self respect would want to play for a team that doesn't want him or see them in their future plans.

And my response about New Jersey was in direct response to RUPERTKBD talking about the livability of a city. I was simply pointing out that not all of New Jersey is a dump and that many athletes CHOOSE to live there. So, speaking of crap, your reply to that part of my post, as well as pretty much the rest of it, was exactly that....... CRAP.........but maybe I gave you too much credit in regards to the reading thing......but then again, reading and comprehending are two different things.

Many parts of NJ are beautiful. The Garden state.

You want to talk business? Burrows' contract clearly says he has the right to deny any trade when he signed it. If the management wants to treat the whole situation like business, then Burrows can do the same and remain a canucks until his contract expires.

Burrows has a NTC but not a NMC. That means he could be waived and assigned to the minors.

On waivers, Burrows has no control of where he goes.

Canucks still have the hammer if they choose to use it.

If the rumors are true, and the Canucks are ready to move on from Burrows, Burrows is probably best to cooperate and work with the team in choosing a destination.

Alex Burrows: “I’m really excited for this season because it’s a fresh start for everyone and you want a team where everybody pushes each other to be better and compete for jobs. It’s going to be interesting. I want to show what I can do and log some good minutes and start having some good games. For me at this point of my career, it’s about winning games and getting to the playoffs. We’re in a tough division and a tough conference, but if we can stay healthy and have 20 guys buying into Willie’s game plan and get good goaltending, you can compete with the best teams in the West."

Mediocrity? I'm sorry I couldn't be more proud of this team. We got back to back presidents trophies. Had one bad half season and then a terrible year under a terrible coach. We aren't far removed from purely dominating the league in the evidently more difficult conference.

This team hasn't been mediocre. I take a lot of pride in back to back presidents trophies and a fixed 2011 final. This team can and will compete.

The coach had about as much to do with this team's decline as the Murphy bed in his office.

Back to back pres trophies are nice, and when you're sitting by a fire telling your grandchildren about the days before the Canucks won the cup, they will find it endearing that you were so proud of such a pointless award - no other sport makes such a stink about having the best overall record in their respective league.

The fact is, the Canucks have been remiss in their need to make smart roster moves since 2011. And now here we are.

While I agree that they should never stop trying to win, it's undeniable this team has some recovering to do.

The coach had about as much to do with this team's decline as the Murphy bed in his office.

Back to back pres trophies are nice, and when you're sitting by a fire telling your grandchildren about the days before the Canucks won the cup, they will find it endearing that you were so proud of such a pointless award - no other sport makes such a stink about having the best overall record in their respective league.

The fact is, the Canucks have been remiss in their need to make smart roster moves since 2011. And now here we are.

While I agree that they should never stop trying to win, it's undeniable this team has some recovering to do.

Actually, the vast majority of leagues in the world do just that. Pretty much everywhere other than North America, there is only the regular season, and whoever finishes with the best record is the champion. Even in North America, that used to be the case. For many years in MLB winning the pennant (i.e. finishing with the best record in your league) was considered the major prize. The World Series started as a gimmick exhibition, not as a way to determine the best team.

Alex Burrows: “I’m really excited for this season because it’s a fresh start for everyone and you want a team where everybody pushes each other to be better and compete for jobs. It’s going to be interesting. I want to show what I can do and log some good minutes and start having some good games. For me at this point of my career, it’s about winning games and getting to the playoffs. We’re in a tough division and a tough conference, but if we can stay healthy and have 20 guys buying into Willie’s game plan and get good goaltending, you can compete with the best teams in the West."

I think this statement more or less tells the story...

"If we stay healthy, if we get good goaltending, if everybody buys in"....

True contending teams just say, "We can compete with the best".

I think this statement more or less tells the story...

"If we stay healthy, if we get good goaltending, if everybody buys in"....

True contending teams just say, "We can compete with the best".

Was anybody under the delusion that we're almost assuredly making the finals?

I think the best that can be said is that we'll likely be competitive this year.

Competitive for what? A playoff spot? Maybe....

Competitive in an 82 game season most games. Competitive for a playoff spot. With luck maybe even win a round/be a tough out.

We'll likely be a PITA but certainly not favoured to win anything.

Competitive in an 82 game season most games. Competitive for a playoff spot. With luck maybe even win a round/be a tough out.

We'll likely be a PITA but certainly not favoured to win anything.

Which is why I'm an advocate of moving him, if the right deal comes along. I've been there and done that with being a playoff bubble team and consistently drafting in the middle of the pack.

Now, I'd rather build for the future.

Burrows has a NTC but not a NMC. That means he could be waived and assigned to the minors.

On waivers, Burrows has no control of where he goes.

Canucks still have the hammer if they choose to use it.

If the rumors are true, and the Canucks are ready to move on from Burrows, Burrows is probably best to cooperate and work with the team in choosing a destination.

jesus not again.

WE

WILL

NOT

WAIVE

BURROWS

That's a borderline retarded suggestion to even think about waiving him because you want him off the team. Ffs stop with this bullshit.

Alex Burrows: Im really excited for this season because its a fresh start for everyone and you want a team where everybody pushes each other to be better and compete for jobs. Its going to be interesting. I want to show what I can do and log some good minutes and start having some good games. For me at this point of my career, its about winning games and getting to the playoffs. Were in a tough division and a tough conference, but if we can stay healthy and have 20 guys buying into Willies game plan and get good goaltending, you can compete with the best teams in the West."

Love the quote. Ethan Hunt is ready for another mission impossible.

Burr can lead the team in goals this year. Hoping he beats hid career high of 35. Go 40 + Burr... Make kes look bad!

Love the quote. Ethan Hunt is ready for another mission impossible.

Burr can lead the team in goals this year. Hoping he beats hid career high of 35. Go 40 + Burr... Make kes look bad!

it is this type of unrealistic expectation that result in those bipolar criticism we see in vancouver. I would be happy if he can log in 20 goals and 45 points, which is totally not bad.

thinking he can go anywhere near 30-40 goals is just unreal and usually will result in disappointments which will lead to complains

Archived