Canucks Community

[Report] Burrows' Said No To Waiving NTC

jesus not again.

WE

WILL

NOT

WAIVE

BURROWS

That's a borderline retarded suggestion to even think about waiving him because you want him off the team. Ffs stop with this bull.

This I agree with. You don't just get rid of players who have value. Burrows does. If there isn't a deal that helps the team, you keep him.

This is one reason I absolutely hate not qualifying Schroeder.

it is this type of unrealistic expectation that result in those bipolar criticism we see in vancouver. I would be happy if he can log in 20 goals and 45 points, which is totally not bad.

thinking he can go anywhere near 30-40 goals is just unreal and usually will result in disappointments which will lead to complains

I'm willing to place a healthy wager that he gets over 45 points if he's healthy all year.

40 goals is obviously extremely ambitious but stranger things have happened.

I'm willing to place a healthy wager that he gets over 45 points if he's healthy all year.

40 goals is obviously extremely ambitious but stranger things have happened.

Burr and caibatta will lead the team with goals. who know's how many that will be though... 30ish would be nice.

Look Papayas, I was in Ontario and Quebec last month and I heard rumors on both the Montreal and Ottawa radio shows that Burrows was on the block because the Canucks were moving in another direction. You can choose to believe it or not, I really could give two bleeps whether you do or you don't. It's obvious that you have some sort of hard on for Burrows, and he has done lots for the team, but his time is up. My whole argument was based on Burrows having EVERY right to veto a trade but if management doesn't want you, then why would you want to stay when it can't be a good feeling knowing that you aren't part of the teams plans. He can still give them a list of teams that he'd be willing to go too just like Kesler. HE spends his off season in Quebec, so it's not like he's tied to the city.

As for your stupid Trevor Linden comment, Linden was never my favorite Canuck but I do have a great deal of respect for him. He's probably one of the most, if not the most beloved Canuck and athlete in the history of this city. So, if a guy like that could see the writing on the wall, then a guy like Burrows who isn't exactly a legend on the ice or in the community should certainly be able to do so.

Again, comprehension obviously isn't your strong suit, because I said that Burrows has every right to stay but my argument is, why would you want too when he's not in their future plans and he even admitted himself today in the paper that at this stage of his career it's about winning games and making the playoffs, both of which aren't likely to come in Vancouver during the remainder of his contract. Which is just another reason why you would think that he'd want to move elsewhere......if winning really was that important to him.

And yes, it's a well known fact that many players(in all sports) do choose to live in New Jersey, even those who don't actually play in New Jersey but who play in New York City..........and if you listen or watch any sports, you'd know this to be true.

Actually, the vast majority of leagues in the world do just that. Pretty much everywhere other than North America, there is only the regular season, and whoever finishes with the best record is the champion. Even in North America, that used to be the case. For many years in MLB winning the pennant (i.e. finishing with the best record in your league) was considered the major prize. The World Series started as a gimmick exhibition, not as a way to determine the best team.

Cool. Name one. Name one league who gives out a trophy for best regular season record. Also, name the trophy.

What's the name of the NBA trophy for best regular season record?

How about the MLB?

NFL?

MLS?

My bad. I realized you qualified your response by saying "everywhere but north america". Let me qualify my riposte.

Name one other North American major sport that honors it's best regular season team.

It can even be the NHL if you like, so you don't feel bad for being able to name one.

Love the quote. Ethan Hunt is ready for another mission impossible.

Burr can lead the team in goals this year. Hoping he beats hid career high of 35. Go 40 + Burr... Make kes look bad!

Can't see Burr scoring 30 plus goals this year. He'll have a bounce back year, with that being said, I'd say closer to 20 goals, maybe 25. But that'll probably be his ceiling. I'd say, keep him for now, and if he's having a good year, trade him to a contending team. He deserves to win a cup, and if he's having a good year, he'd fetch quite possibly a 1st round pick for the 2015 draft. We need to stock pile as many 2015 picks as we can. That will give us a tremendous amount of depth moving forward.

If by two thirds of the season, it's clear that we may not make it for the playoffs. I'd say, all bets are off, and Benning approaches some of our older core, and attempts to sell them off to other teams who are contending, and needing assets to help them with a long playoff push. We then stockpile the draft picks, and prospects, and we move on.

yes, but it is not a bright move for contract and asset management when the asset has the lowest value.

It all comes down to whether you think a player who always performed in the past, had already peak himself at 33 years old or not.

Some people like yourself or Rupert, who actually has a pretty good reason behind your arguments, is fine.

What a lot of people have problem with is the ones who actually think Burrows is done because of one injury plagued season, and want to dispose him like an used condom.

This is the key though. Burrows is still a gamer. He is still a scratch and claw type guy who knows he has a lot to prove after last season. I think he has a few good, productive years left in him. But the reality is that he will likely be pushed out by a young player here sooner rather than later. I think Benning knows this too. I know I would rather see him go now to help the team later than to go for minimal return after he gets pushed out of a spot.

A Burrows trade would be a hockey trade, not a cap dump or a just get rid of him for anything deal. Because he still has a lot of value to a cup favorite team especially. He is EXACTLY the kind of guy who can make a difference even when he is not scoring. And despite last season's woes his overall game was still pretty good.

I would like to see him win a Stanley Cup. But I highly doubt it is in his cards if he stays in Vancouver.

This is the key though. Burrows is still a gamer. He is still a scratch and claw type guy who knows he has a lot to prove after last season. I think he has a few good, productive years left in him. But the reality is that he will likely be pushed out by a young player here sooner rather than later. I think Benning knows this too. I know I would rather see him go now to help the team later than to go for minimal return after he gets pushed out of a spot.

A Burrows trade would be a hockey trade, not a cap dump or a just get rid of him for anything deal. Because he still has a lot of value to a cup favorite team especially. He is EXACTLY the kind of guy who can make a difference even when he is not scoring. And despite last season's woes his overall game was still pretty good.

I would like to see him win a Stanley Cup. But I highly doubt it is in his cards if he stays in Vancouver.

I think that's a really good take on Burrows.

Cool. Name one. Name one league who gives out a trophy for best regular season record. Also, name the trophy.

How about the MLB?

NFL?

MLS?

My bad. I realized you qualified your response by saying "everywhere but north america". Let me qualify my riposte.

Name one other North American major sport that honors it's best regular season team.

It can even be the NHL if you like, so you don't feel bad for being able to name one.

nhl. presidents trophy.

national and american league pennants.

How about the MLB?

NFL?

MLS?

He has a point, and even in North America some people see the regular season as the biggest prize.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/should-regular-season-trophy-be-the-true-championship-red-bulls-players-say-yes

Should regular season award be the true championship? Red Bulls players say yes

New York Red Bulls star Tim Cahill doesn’t understand why his team isn’t considered the best team of MLS last year.

His Red Bulls won the Supporters’ Shield, the award that goes to the team with the most points at the end of the regular season. For Cahill, that is the true test of which team deserves the recognition.

“I feel that in winning the Supporters’ Shield, we were the most consistent team throughout the whole year,” he said. “We won the hardest thing to win.”

In a conference room at Red Bull Arena, Cahill wore gray sweatpants and a black Red Bulls zip-up jacket while he spoke to a group of reporters in his thick Australian accent.

“With the MLS Cup, you can go through the whole season, just win five in a row, get yourself in the back door [and win the Cup]” he said. “When I joined the club, I told them the thing I wanted most was to win the Supporters’ Shield.”

New York had the best record on the season, but the team was upset in the Eastern Conference Semifinals at the hands of Houston Dynamo.

Though originally from Australia, Cahill spent most of his career playing in England, first with Millwall and then with Everton. In England, the team that wins the league is the team with the most points at the end of the season. There is no postseason to decide who wins the league.

“So I know that if I’m on Manchester United [and we] win the Premier League, there isn’t a raffle where the team that finished fifth, say Fulham, can come play in this round robin and take our trophy off us.”

Henry shares Cahill’s feelings about the Supporters’ Shield.

“The Supporter’s Shield is such a big thing for us,” said Henry. “Especially for the fans.”

While Cahill believes his team was the best in MLS last year, it should be pointed out that MLS doesn’t play a balanced schedule. In the Barclay’s Premier League, for example, every club plays every opponent twice, once home and once away. The schedule for MLS isn’t balanced, so teams could have tougher schedules than others.

Graham Zusi, the U.S. international who just won MLS Cup with Sporting Kansas City, surprisingly didn’t have a problem with what Cahill said about the importance of the Supporters’ Shield.

“I tend to agree with him,” Zusi said. “That’s something at Kansas City, we put a big emphasis on trying to be the best team over the course of a season. I know that the attention goes to the team that wins the MLS Cup, but at Kansas City we’ve been within a few points [of the Supporters' Shield] for the last few years. It shows consistency.”

For it to change, Cahill thinks fans need to learn to appreciate the regular-season trophy.

“It’s about an education for the fans,” he said. “There’s so much emphasis in the NBA and the NFL, that the [championship] is such a big event. It’s about an education, to show these fans that we won them the trophy over the course of a season.”

But then we're talking about Burrows...

How about the MLB?

NFL?

MLS?

NASCAR. Sprint Cup Championship.

How about the MLB?

NFL?

MLS?

In addition to leagues already pointed out to you: Nascar, MLB penants,

PGA - Fedex Cup

Arguably, the PGA isn't a team sport, but Nascar is, even though it sucks.

Burrows is still a very good player and will be during the duration of his contract.

He works hard and had an unbelievable amount of bad luck last season.

I want to see Burrows at 40 years old still playing on this team and providing leadership like Linden did for the Sedins.

Burrows is still a very good player and will be during the duration of his contract.

He works hard and had an unbelievable amount of bad luck last season.

I want to see Burrows at 40 years old still playing on this team and providing leadership like Linden did for the Sedins.

Good call Garth!

people loved when he signed his deal but I agree now is his time to leave.Burr has always been a sparkplug but takes bad bad penalties that he does make up for, or did in the past!I hope he reconsiders a trade and we can make a deal!

Archived