The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Burrows' Said No To Waiving NTC

I have to amend my earlier comment. The actual quote was "a D prospect and a high pick", whatever that means ;)

BTW, you and Grizz shouldn't bother arguing with apollo. He has very strong opinions, and very few of them are based in reality.

ADAM LARSSON AND A FIRST?!?!?!?!?!?!

Just kidding. And i wouldn't consider any of this "arguing," this is the whole point of the forum! To discuss hockey :), I love hearing other people's opinions on hockey, it's why i'm here!

Dude, how many times do we have to say it -- if a deal is there, trade him... trade ANYONE -- if the deal is right. You are doing nothing more than strawmanning now. Please address the argument we are actually making.

'dude how many times do i have to say it'

Burrows came off a terrible year clearly there won't be a deal that's right

This is all started by Botch who made it up, I guarantee it

Burrows was never asked to waive

You are insane to think burrows would land us Reinhart.

Return would be minimal compared to what burrows value to this team is. On and off the ice.

The point was, is there no deal that is sufficient to trade Burrows? We've tried to make it ridiculously lopsided but so far nobody has responded saying otherwise, so he's untouchable? He's priceless?

And how do you know what value would be returned? GMs aren't myopic, that they don't know what Burrows has done in the past, and of the injuries and kind of year he had. Suppose someone really likes him -- do you decline anything that would be of superior value to the TEAM? Are you a Canucks fan first, or a Burrows fan first? The rumour was a high pick and prospect D -- maybe you're just saying that's not enough?

Please substantiate your assertions.

You're talking to him as if he knows nothing and you know all the insider information.

You're both just guessing since we don't actually know anything. We're all guessing here. Hell, maybe the deal was to Chicago. Maybe there wasn't a deal in the first place. Maybe Burrows asked to be traded. Who knows, and guess what, we'll never know.

But, he is 100% correct when he says that no matter what player, yes, even Crosby, if the RIGHT package is there, you trade him. The RIGHT package. RIGHT. I'm talking if we traded him full value to a team and got assets back.. Not saying A package, but the RIGHT package.

The point was, is there no deal that is sufficient to trade Burrows? We've tried to make it ridiculously lopsided but so far nobody has responded saying otherwise, so he's untouchable? He's priceless?

And how do you know what value would be returned? GMs aren't myopic, that they don't know what Burrows has done in the past, and of the injuries and kind of year he had. Suppose someone really likes him -- do you decline anything that would be of superior value to the TEAM? Are you a Canucks fan first, or a Burrows fan first? The rumour was a high pick and prospect D -- maybe you're just saying that's not enough?

Burrows would not get us a good return. His value is most to us.

He has a high contract and is coming off a terrible year because of injuries. He wouldn't get us anything that would help improve the team. To suggest he would land a guy like Reinhart is crazy.

Burrows would not get us a good return. His value is most to us.

He has a high contract and is coming off a terrible year because of injuries. He wouldn't get us anything that would help improve the team. To suggest he would land a guy like Reinhart is crazy.

That's not his point.

We have no idea what the package TRULY was, so how can we argue about his value? You don't know what the trade was, so how can you say that it wouldn't have been a good return?

Even if we know the "rumored" return, that's all BS. Just look at the entire Shinkaruk+ to FLA. All made-up. Again, the point is that if the RIGHT package is there, we would probably trade him. Again, not just any package, but the RIGHT package.

I don't even know what's being argued anymore

As near as I can tell there are 4 camps:

There's a small facction who think Burrows should be dumped, based on last season. There's another small faction who say he shouldn't be moved, because his previous year has driven his value down and we won't get an equitable return.

A third faction loves him and wants him to remain a Canuck until he retires and the faction that I adhere to (as do Senpai and Grizz) says that if a deal comes along that will help the team, then we should make it.

As near as I can tell there are 4 camps:

There's a small facction who think Burrows should be dumped, based on last season. There's another small faction who say he shouldn't be moved, because his previous year has driven his value down and we won't get an equitable return.

A third faction loves him and wants him to remain a Canuck until he retires and the faction that I adhere to (as do Senpai and Grizz) says that if a deal comes along that will help the team, then we should make it.

Which is the way you should build a hockey team.

Or any sports franchise really...

You're behind him 100%, but not when it comes to possibly trading Burrows? Does that also happen to be the case where he doesn't know everything, and implicitly that you know better?

Wow, so if Benning wants to trade Burrows, it matters not what the return is, he would be incompetent. Really? If he trades Burrows straight up for Reinhart and he puts up 50 points with Buffalo, Benning will look like an idiot?

I'm afraid that "actual fans" are the ones that cheer for and advocate the betterment of the TEAM, not one single player with which some seem to have an inseparable emotional attachment.

Did I call him incompetent? Nope. (don't put words in my mouth)

So I won't read beyond that because people who have to change someone's wording usually aren't adequately addressing the point and are reaching elsewhere.

So I won't read beyond that because people who have to change someone's wording usually aren't adequately addressing it.

Pretty sure the "incompetent" bit was aimed at apollo, Deb.

Asn yes, he did say it...

So I won't read beyond that because people who have to change someone's wording usually aren't adequately addressing it.

Sorry deb, don't think he was calling YOU incompetent, but he was talking to apollo.

EDIT: What the guy above me said LOL

Pretty sure the "incompetent" bit was aimed at apollo, Deb.

Asn yes, he did say it...

OK, see that. And it's obviously overkill now, so I'll step away and let you guys make your point. For they ALL are valid points, none of which is right/wrong. It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

OK, see that. And it's obviously overkill now, so I'll step away and let you guys make your point. For they ALL are valid points, none of which is right/wrong. It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

Just about quitting time anyways...

I think I hear a cold beer calling... :)

Yes, this was the quote:

I've watched burr play at least 500 games more than benning has. If he wanted to trade burr it just shows he's incompetent and knows nothing about what he brings to the team.

So apology accepted ;)
haha

What you had said was:

So it's foolproof?

I see this happen here all the time...we need a saviour. Someone who will know/be it all. But be prepared for some disappointment...JB is human and doesn't KNOW everything. He knows hockey and will try his best but, with that (and again) these are individuals - human beings. So he doesn't program into his magic hockey CNC machine and make the perfect team.

If he makes trades, he's trying to do what's right - doesn't necessarily guarantee it will be. I'm behind him 100% but don't believe in the magic hockey fairy or simply building a dream team that has no risk of failure. Anyhow, time will tell.

And I asked you:

You're behind him 100%, but not when it comes to possibly trading Burrows? Does that also happen to be the case where he doesn't know everything, and implicitly that you know better?

The issue here is the implication that ANY trade for Burrows is a bad idea, regardless of the return. This really shouldn't even need to be discussed, but I've yet to see anyone on the other side deny it. But in short, so we all agree:

Is a trade, involving Burrows or otherwise, that improves the team, a good thing that should happen?

Yes, this was the quote:

So apology accepted ;)

haha

What you had said was:

And I asked you:

The issue here is the implication that ANY trade for Burrows is a bad idea, regardless of the return. This really shouldn't even need to be discussed, but I've yet to see anyone on the other side deny it. But in short, so we all agree:

Is a trade, involving Burrows or otherwise, that improves the team, a good thing that should happen?

Shhhh, let's just let this one die before things get outta hand :P

Back in 2003-04 the Av's had a forward who was 33 years old. Played 78 games and had 16 goals and 16 assists. This player was a premier forward. But injuries just ravaged the poor guy, he had knee problems, and scored the lowest number of points in his career and he was making $5.8 million dollars. The 04-05 season was cancelled, he had surgery on his knee and he spent the year recovering.

Then in 05-06 at age 35, from taking a year off and recovering he signs for a $1 million dollar contract with Anaheim and scored 40 goals and 90 points. And in 2007 he won the Stanley Cup.

Not every player is Teemu Selanne. But to write off a player from one bad season is folly.

I'm not in the mood to argue... Ima let u finish and all but burrows is going to score 25+ again this year and as usual be an amazing two way player and contribute on special teams.

Archived