The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler already working hard for the Ducks!

They will make the playoffs but IMO they haven't improved from last year.

Kesler + Heatley = Bonino + Perreault

Kesler is significantly better than Bonino. They really needed a shutdown center and they got one.

The video was awful

Guest Dasein

Forgot about those two guys. In that case they definitely got worse. They must really be expecting big things out of Smith-Pelly and Etem

How

Maroon - Getzlaf - Perry

Silfverberg - Kesler - Palmieri

Etem - Cogliano - Smith-Pelley

Belesky - Thompson - Rackell

Heatley

Expecting Etem and SP to be 3rd line wingers isn't a stretch.

And they can roll 4 solid lines now with the addition of Kesler and Thompson. Also, having Kesler take primary shutdown role frees up Getzlaf to produce more. Not to mention, Kesler can produce as much as Bonino did while being that shutdown guy Bonino never was for ANA.

Selanne's loss is tough, but with their plethora of young guns who are still developing and now have a chance to play a bigger role on the team, there's a good chance his production will be filled by one of them.

ANA is still a relatively strong team, however, the acquisition of kesler doesn't exactly supplement the loss of not only Bonino and Sbisa, but we have to remember they're losing Selanne, Koivu, Robidas and Hiller as well. Is Andersen ready to take the load? Will Kesler and Heatley return to their old selves? Lots of question marks as to whether or not they're serious "contenders" above chi and lak

They lost Selanne and Koivu as well.

Bonino + Koivu>>>Kesler

Selanne>>>Heatley

It's pretty much a wash IMO, but the Ducks didn't need to get that much better. They're already a top team in the West.

Forgot about those two guys. In that case they definitely got worse. They must really be expecting big things out of Smith-Pelly and Etem

I'd say that shows just how much the Ducks improved since they no longer need guys like Koivu and Perrault. Thompson replaces one of them, and Cogliano takes over the void at centre left by the other.

The young players will be better, and adding Kesler makes their forward group much better overall IMO.

How

Maroon - Getzlaf - Perry

Silfverberg - Kesler - Palmieri

Etem - Cogliano - Smith-Pelley

Belesky - Thompson - Rackell

Heatley

Expecting Etem and SP to be 3rd line wingers isn't a stretch.

And they can roll 4 solid lines now with the addition of Kesler and Thompson. Also, having Kesler take primary shutdown role frees up Getzlaf to produce more. Not to mention, Kesler can produce as much as Bonino did while being that shutdown guy Bonino never was for ANA.

Selanne's loss is tough, but with their plethora of young guns who are still developing and now have a chance to play a bigger role on the team, there's a good chance his production will be filled by one of them.

They had all of those guys last year. I don't see how Adding Kesler and and AHLer Heatley makes them better than what they had with Bonino, Perreault, Koivu and Selanne. Just seems like they lost depth.

Bottom line is I'd still pick LA to beat them in the playoffs

They had all of those guys last year. I don't see how Adding Kesler and and AHLer Heatley makes them better than what they had with Bonino, Perreault, Koivu and Selanne. Just seems like they lost depth

They still have a ton of depth. They don't need more depth or more scoring, they need an elite defensive shutdown center. They lost something they have an abundance of, and gained something they sorely needed, thats why they are better now.

Really underestimating Kesler. He wasn't brought in just to produce. Let's be real - the Ducks got a lot better with Kesler.

Koivu at his age is nowhere near what Kesler can bring and Bonino will never be as good defensively as Kesler. They lost Selanne but they still have Maroon, Silfverberg, Palmieri, Smith-Pelley, Rackell and Etem. Also, they added Nate Thompson who gives them really good depth down the middle (Getzlaf - Kesler - Cogliano - Thompson is as good as any in this league).

Looking at the talent Anaheim has on wing, scoring is clearly not the issue for them. What they needed was someone who can defend - someone they can throw out against the other team's top lines to shut them down so they can free up Getzlaf. That's Kesler - and he's proven that he can shut opponents down while producing decent secondary scoring.

It's not even close to a wash because you can't compare top-notch quality (Kesler) with mere quantity (Koivu + Bonino). As you say, they were already a top team in the West, but when you're that good, even the tiniest improvement could be the difference between being a top team in the West (ANA) and the SC champions (LA). If Kesler remains healthy, ANA has a much better chance than this year and could probably go all the way.

Kesler shutting down other teams top lines?

Maybe 3 years ago, not so much in the last few seasons.

He's not the Selke beast he used to be, and injuries will still be a concern. Yes they got stronger down the middle, but I don't think anyone can say losing Selanne isn't a big loss to the team, not only on the ice but off.

Yes, they may be better on paper, but I still see them struggling to get by the Kings or Hawks.

Kesler shutting down other teams top lines?

Maybe 3 years ago, not so much in the last few seasons.

He's not the Selke beast he used to be, and injuries will still be a concern. Yes they got stronger down the middle, but I don't think anyone can say losing Selanne isn't a big loss to the team, not only on the ice but off.

Yes, they may be better on paper, but I still see them struggling to get by the Kings or Hawks.

He wasn't in a shutdown role the last few seasons cause we weren't scoring and really needed help with that. No matter how good any team gets they will struggle vs the Hawks and Kings.

He wasn't in a shutdown role the last few seasons cause we weren't scoring and really needed help with that. No matter how good any team gets they will struggle vs the Hawks and Kings.

He scored 40 the season he won the Selke, so I'm not sure how he can't do both.

Bottom line is he's not the same player. He won't be shutting down Kopitar or Toews.

Ducks are not nearly as deep as most folks have said .. they are like San Jose, 'on a cusp' .. they are about to maybe 'drop' from being 'elite' this year .. which will force them to make changes, like we are trying .. they are in better shape prospect wise now, but I fear we will 'catch up' next draft, as we struggle to adapt to all the change.

Someone should start a poll on whether Kesler plays 50 games or has 50 points? .. that would create some serious 'speculation' ..

Oh yeah .. why not start another poll on whether Kesler is 'available' in the playoffs, IF he reaches either of the first two choices? .. :)

They had all of those guys last year. I don't see how Adding Kesler and and AHLer Heatley makes them better than what they had with Bonino, Perreault, Koivu and Selanne. Just seems like they lost depth.

Bottom line is I'd still pick LA to beat them in the playoffs

Anaheim can afford to lose those guys because rookies and younger players in the system have been pushing on the door to break onto the roster. That is how a successful team does it. You have fully capable young players to knock on the door and make you force yourself to part with players who would easily cost more because of the open market.

Anaheim may not be super strong, but how they are letting the youth continuously force the veterans to compete even harder for jobs is the best way. It makes sure that players don't become complacent....pretty much something that happened to us. Never had any good enough young players to push our vets and make them feel less complacent.'

When you have the luxury to let go of players because of younger players who are just as capable to replace their production/role, that is what depth is. Anaheim clearly seems to have it.

Archived