The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler already working hard for the Ducks!

Honestly, I'm not 100% sold on the Ducks winning the cup. They are an awesome team...But they still have their questions. They got 2 very young goalies, and their defense, lead by Fowler, can be suspect.

I wouldn't count the canucks out yet. They have enough pieces to be a 4 line team, with a decent defense and solid goaltending. If Jensen or Kassian or both step up to be top-six forwards, and Corrado makes progress to becoming a top-four defenemen, I'd say we can be a pretty competitive team.

Yes, but they have young guys, a fair few of them, who are up, walking, now jogging comfortably and looking for full stride.

We only have Kassian in that position to date. When our young guys join in we can probably say this?

Look at LA, the A standard. They really won the cup a few years ago because they were joined by Voynov, King and Nolan. This year, Toffoli, Jones, Muzzin and Pearson invaded the party.

Guest Dasein

Kesler shutting down other teams top lines?

Maybe 3 years ago, not so much in the last few seasons.

He's not the Selke beast he used to be, and injuries will still be a concern. Yes they got stronger down the middle, but I don't think anyone can say losing Selanne isn't a big loss to the team, not only on the ice but off.

Yes, they may be better on paper, but I still see them struggling to get by the Kings or Hawks.

Like I said, if Kesler stays healthy, he can still shut down the other team's best. He was on the mend the last 3 years, so we'll have to see.

Of course it'll be a struggle to get past the Kings or the Hawks, but it'll be a struggle for either team to get past Anaheim also. A series between two of those three teams will not be a walk in the park for anyone.

What Anaheim has done with the trade is basically put themselves in that echelon. Before it, they would not have had enough to beat either teams - now they have a chance - and that's why it's such a huge difference even if it only makes their team a little better. That's all I'm saying.

They had all of those guys last year. I don't see how Adding Kesler and and AHLer Heatley makes them better than what they had with Bonino, Perreault, Koivu and Selanne. Just seems like they lost depth.

Bottom line is I'd still pick LA to beat them in the playoffs

Yea but my point is that all those guys are young and will only get better. They are all one year older and that much better. Adding Kesler actually does improve them dramatically because Anaheim can finally give Getzlaf some easier minutes and have Kesler do a lot of the dirty work.

canucks are going to be the top team in the west anaheim aint gonna win with a rookie goaltender and andersen/gibson tandem that just aint good enough. for petes sake Calgary is better than Anaheim now. Anaheim falling Canucks rising plus we clearly have a number 1 goaltender now with Miller and he is going to be certainly racking up some shutouts and hopefully return to his Vezina form back in 2010

Problem is since winning the Selke and scoring 41G, Kesler seems like he started thinking he could be an offensive juggernaut. Hasn't been that top shutdown man in a few years imo. Still better than average, still a really good player, but not what he once was.

Maybe that fresh start will bring him back to form, or he could also try to do too much, try too hard and won't find any chemistry with anyone or worse get injured while trying to do too much.

not to forget the year kesler got 41 goals , burr got taken off the first line PP not because it wasnt working , but because kesler wasnt working at all on the second PP and burr was better at dishing the puck as kesler just wants to shoot... so he went out with the sedins to be the trigger man... also he score 33 of his 41 goals vs non playoff teams....he was getting hattys vs the likes of cbj edm and ott that year... but imo i dont think the ducks improved at all over last year probably got a little worse losing the leadership of selanne and possibly koivu... and losing bonino and perreault both 26 years old and getting better for kesler and heatley...

He must have gotten a good reference from Tim Hortons to get that job.

Don't forget Save on Foods.

Honestly, I'm not 100% sold on the Ducks winning the cup. They are an awesome team...But they still have their questions. They got 2 very young goalies, and their defense, lead by Fowler, can be suspect.

Does anyone think they can win the cup? I don't see why anyone would think they have a better shot than Chicago or LA. I'd even take St. Louis winning over them.

Don't forget Save on Foods.

Does anyone think they can win the cup? I don't see why anyone would think they have a better shot than Chicago or LA. I'd even take St. Louis winning over them.

ST Lou is a burgeoning / upcoming team.

Outstanding defensive team, including two serious shut down guys (Backes and Berglund) who was just waiting for the right mix for a dynamic offensive element to their team.

Well Tarasenko and Oshie were developing as snipers, Steen as well. Now they have added Stastny, just one notch down from an elite playmaking pivot. I think its enough!

They have size, unreal depth up front and on D, speed, a suffocating defensive style, toughness and goaltending. Well, some argue the goaltending is a ? But they won the Jennings two years ago. Its good. Having the ability to snipe and pick teams apart now is an upgrade. I think they can compete with LA and Chicago!

I hope Bieksa crunches him when they play.

Yup.

Pretty hard to see Kesler leave. Solid player, one of the Canucks best. But I couldn't agree more. I hope Bieksa gives him a run for his money.

People are forgetting about character here. For those who play team sports know that having that dressing room disturbance affects the entire team. Now they have two guys in Kesler and Heatley who are known to have terrible attitudes. Watch the culture of the team, no matter how good the players are, will fail miserably. Teams dont have as much fun when you have a bad dressing room presence. The Canucks were relieved when Kesler left...I bet you my townhouse that the Canucks will come flying out of the gate and will make the playoffs just on the fact that they can have fun again, and the negativity is gone. That and nobody has to worry so much about their wives anymore!!

Yup. And because Anaheim doesn't have to shelter their top scorers either, Kesler will be less overused and therefore more able to go into 'beastmode' when required.

People: Don't kid yourselves thinking Kesler is done or something. He's got a few good years left. Anaheim is poised to do major playoff damage now.

It's the Sedins who look done. And they're less sheltered now than ever. That ain't good, considering they're now injury-prone.

For the first time I will agree with you TML.

I think people are still cheesed by the fact he asked for a trade, and that we didn't get as much as what people would have anticipated although I believe it was a good deal. That way they justify the trade by dummying down Kesler and make him sound less good than he really is, which is pure denial by people.

Anaheim is a much better team at the end of the day with Kesler than without Kesler.

Wish him well in Anaheim, curious how Boudreau will react when Kes puts on his blinders and refuses to use his wingers with the patented wrist shot into the d-mens shin pads. The reffs are not going to cut him any slack with his patented head snap or tumble weed action either.

Archived