The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] So, lets talk about trading Lack

They wouldn'tHorvat, Lack 2015 1rstKane(no, not suggesting this, but that's what they'll be looking for in a trade with Lack in it)

I agree, Chevy said the price would be high. The problem with so many on here is they want to acquire star power with out giving up star power/potential star power. Like that ever happens in real life.

The only way any kind of Lack trade can happen is if we can get a solid back up goalie in return. A back up that is only there to be a back up and no more. We do have two young goaltenders who are touted to be #1 material. As long as Miller is left alone to do his thing between the pipes, I believe all would be well.

Other than this scenario, I say we stand pat and let things unfold first. Find out where the holes are and fill them next offseason. A lot of fans would say trade deadline, but I hate deadline deals as they rarely pan out and are often a paniced situation.

I believe Benning has done a good job with the healing process so far. I think we are a lot better than we were last year.

I'm not saying Miller won't turn out, but what if he doesn't? Then it's "oh great, hopefully Markstrom does okay".

Having both Miller and Lack gives us two goalies that have the ability to steal games. To me, that's worth more than any package we can get back for any trade involving lack, unless it's an absolutely can't miss hockey deal. Though Lack has a resume nowhere close to Miller's, he's been able to prove that he can steal games when he's not worn out.

Does Lack have one or two years on his contract? I'd keep him if he has 2 or more as a wicked back up. Which at this point he is. He had trouble closing out games.

Does Lack have one or two years on his contract? I'd keep him if he has 2 or more as a wicked back up. Which at this point he is. He had trouble closing out games.

Lack has 2 years left on his contract, he's a UFA after the 2015-16 season.

Really I would probably make the decision more on what is coming back, who give the better return and what RL has to say after working with them.

If the goal is really to make the playoffs at all costs I would keep Lack as he is the better goalie at this point.

If Melanson thinks Markstrom has not been ruined in Florida and will turn it around he probably has the higher ceiling and is younger.

Markstrom is selling low at this point and Lack is selling relatively high.

If you can get a lot more for one than the other though that really would be what decides it for me.

Lack's 26, he'll be 29 by the end of Miller's contract. He'll be the full starter and Demko will probably just be finishing his schooling (I think Benning said he's staying at his college). Then Demko will be in the AHL for a bit, while Lack reaches his 30s. Demko comes in as Lack's backup and then becomes the goalie of the future.

Lack's staying.

Wasn't the best season in the franchise history when we had Luongo and Schneider, who went on to win the Jennings trophy?

I think similar results are possible with Miller and Lack pushing each other.

As to the topic. I think we keep 3 goalies out of camp and possibly try to sneak Markstrom through waivers part way into the season.

Either that or we wait and try to trade him. I think his value goes up part way through he season when teams feel like they're already

out of the playoff hunt.

• 6 months later...

Archived