The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Girls don't always play nice

Neversummer

I found this in the comments of the video, the owner describes what happened:

It took place at the Girls 16u World Selects Invitational in Budapest, Hungary this past weekend. This was a round robin game between West Coast Selects and Spartak (from Moscow, Russia) that WCS ended up winning 2-1. The play happened with about three minutes left when the American player from WCS went down low and came out of the corner to take a shot that the goalie saved. When she started skating away, the defenseman two-hand slashed her to the lower back which is why she's on one knee at the start of the video. As she was getting up, that's when the video starts. The Russian player was thrown out of the tournament and had done the same thing to a Swedish player last year, but I'm not sure where the video is. The player that got hit did not play the rest of that game but returned for the remaining four games of the tournament. West Coast Selects went on to beat Spartak again 4-2 in the semifinal and beat Sweden 2-1 in a shootout to win the championship for the third year in a row.

I found this in the comments of the video, the owner describes what happened:

It took place at the Girls 16u World Selects Invitational in Budapest, Hungary this past weekend. This was a round robin game between West Coast Selects and Spartak (from Moscow, Russia) that WCS ended up winning 2-1. The play happened with about three minutes left when the American player from WCS went down low and came out of the corner to take a shot that the goalie saved. When she started skating away, the defenseman two-hand slashed her to the lower back which is why she's on one knee at the start of the video. As she was getting up, that's when the video starts. The Russian player was thrown out of the tournament and had done the same thing to a Swedish player last year, but I'm not sure where the video is. The player that got hit did not play the rest of that game but returned for the remaining four games of the tournament. West Coast Selects went on to beat Spartak again 4-2 in the semifinal and beat Sweden 2-1 in a shootout to win the championship for the third year in a row.

life time ban ?

Dirty play. Suspended from the tournament. Since this is a repeat offender they should consider reviewing her being allowed to attend international tournaments/events. Things like this give hockey a bad name. It shouldn't matter what the age or gender of the player is. Let the punishment be harsh now in hopes she will change her style while she is young and easy to teach.

Archived