The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you an Introvert or an Extrovert?

-AJ-

Introvert or Extrovert?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why does this bother you? And I don't mean that in a negative way, just curious since I've never had anyone bring up this subject in conversation before.

I guess I'd be in the middle, I'm not really sure. I can get energy from being around people, or just relaxing alone. Depends what I feel like doing at the time.

The main reason it bugs me is because it seems to promote the idea that introverts are always socially awkward and can't be vocal or personable. People get the impression that shy = introvert, which is not the case. Yes, introverts do tend to be more shy, but introverts are not necessarily shy. I, for example, can be quite vocal and I like being in leadership positions.

When I play hockey, for example, I am a vocal sort of leader, rather than a strong silent type (a la Naslund), despite my high level of introversion.

I feel my battery draining every passing second I interact with someone, I'd much rather be alone. That being said I'm usually a good public speaker and I can easily hold the crowd's attention with one story or another at a party. I'm not shy at all about approaching others because I know well at this point what my odds are. Still, I'm extremely introverted because I need to take breaks sitting alone in the bathroom to gather my energy to deal with humans in between socializing.

I guess it's strange because introverts generally lack social confidence.

Last did the Myers Briggs test 5 years ago and got INFJ then, did it again today and got INFJ

See this is what people need to see more of. People like you who are extreme introverts, yet can be great speakers and leaders without being socially awkward at all.

Sometimes I like being alone, but most of the time I'd rather be interacting with people. So I'd say I'm in between an Ambivert and an Extrovert. I view myself as outgoing, and I can tell stories to a large group of my friends, but when it comes to presenting a presentation I'm always nervous and terrible.

An introvert, always have been (can remember those tendencies even as a child). But I mask it fairly well and people would likely think the opposite. For my entire life, my happy/safe place has been alone and I am uncomfortable in group settings. People scoff at that, as I appear to be confident and outgoing...really, I can't wait to scramble away on my own. Some people feel lonely when they're alone - I feel at peace.

To expand a little bit on my Myers-Briggs "ENFJ" (like any of you really care).

I have now taken the Myers-Briggers on 4 separate occassions. Once when I was 19, then again for work when I was 23, again for work when I was 28, and finally a month ago at 32. Each time I came up as an ENFJ. However, over the years, the "E" went from a mid/high Extrovert to nearly on the border between Extrovert and Introvert.

When I get home, the last thing I want to do is be around more people. And when I'm around my immediate family, I just want the gathering to end so I can get out and get home. I really crave my alone time in the evenings.

However, during the day and at work, I absolutely thrive off of people. There's something about daytime where I feed off of other people and just can't spend enough time with them. So definitely more a mixture of both as the years have gone on, but still more an extrovert than an introvert.

An Extrovert wouldn't be wasting time on these boards.

So obviously I'm an introvert. but i like to analyze/judge people based on their personalities. If i see someone with the same views and mindset, then I can let my guard down a bit and i guess be more outspoken, while if i see some person i think is a idiot, or a smart ass then, i rather be on quiet mode, as it'll take too much work to find common ground. Example; I'm a pretty chill person, so it's a complete pain to deal with a loud obnoxious person.

not true

we post on here occasionally

mostly when we're procrastinating though

I'm a total introvert. In fact, I greatly prefer living alone. If given the choice, I would spend 95% of my time alone. I'll be friendly when I'm out if I need to be but would really rather be left alone. If I've been out all day at work or school or whatever, I absolutely cannot wait to get home and be alone. Having to interact with all but a select few people is not only exhausting, it's not particularly enjoyable.

Since everybody's doing these things...Found one of those tests, got the result ISTP (though the S is only 1% more than the N, which makes sense because I do think I'm imaginative and have strong instincts).

Looked up what an ISTP is like on Wikipedia, describes me to a T basically: leap before I look, despise wasting things, detached humour, get engrossed in things easily, trust experience and logic. One thing that stood out to me was "ISTPs may sometimes seem to act without regard for procedures, directions, protocol, or even their own safety. But while their approach may seem haphazard, it is in fact based on a broad store of knowledge developed over time through action and keen observation."

Don't trust other people easily, but I have exceptional trust in my abilities. That's why I love cliff jumping and Muay Thai. It may make your heart flutter to be flying 60 feet above a creek or about to get in a fight and your instincts scream against it, but if you've accomplished a technique before and all you have to do is quickly revisit simulation, training, experience, what-have-you in your head to fluidly and safely achieve it again. I like the idea of your conscious being able to master your fear. I'm not uncomfortable trusting my gut though.

I think I would be a great astronaut if I wasn't so stupid and underqualified and prone to grabbing ass (which I think is especially frowned upon in outer space).

I call this the fear/excitement rush, I totally understand what you are talking about.

People have called me crazy dave for years because i like to take risks , like when i am hitting a 50 +Ft gap on my on my DH MTB , fear of the consquences of what may happen if things go wrong try to overide the belief you have in yourself and your abilities , to have the strength of will and total belief in yourself to overcome those fear impulse's and achieve what you set out to do is what gets the dopamiene flowing.

extrovert here.

you guys might enjoy this. it's the DOPE bird test. pretty interesting and helpful for dealing with people in a work setting. you figure out which of 4 birds you are most like: Owl, Peacock, Dove or Eagle. have i posted this before? can't remember. anyway, it might surprise you as to what you find yourself to be. there's more info on what each bird's weaknesses and needs are and how to deal/communicate with them but i won't post it due to copyright issues.

Me: Eagle (35%), Owl (30%), Dove (25%), Peacock (10%)

Explanations of the 4 birds:

http://examinedexistence.com/the-dope-4-personality-test-which-bird-are-you/ 1) Dove

The peaceful and friendly Doves are persons of diplomacy and tact. Overall, they are people-oriented, sympathetic, supportive, and team players. They have good listening skills, pleasant to work with and can be relied upon. They usually find professions as teachers, mentors and social workers. When there are conflicts, they are more likely to avoid confrontation, change, and assertiveness. They will often seek affirmation in what they do. In relating with Doves, be warm and sympathetic. Remember that they are naturally relaxed and slow-paced. Earning their trust might take a while, so be patient.

2) Owl

The wise and analytical Owls are the perfectionist, methodical, determined, well-organized and systematic lot. Their bywords are precision and logic. They provide balance in the workplace because of their perseverance, diligence and penchant for structure. Decision-making can take a tedious and meticulous process, and they can be bullheaded and unbending if logic dictates so. They are also wont to be critical and fault-finding, especially on other people’s ideas. While they are at home with details, they shun risks; so be objective as you present your ideas with concrete facts not personal feelings or opinions. They usually thrive in the field of engineering or accountancy. In relating with Owls, be painstakingly detailed and well-organized as you would support their preoccupation with systematized workplace.

3) Peacock

The showy and cheerful Peacocks embody happiness and optimism. They love to talk, and they prefer the fast chase and spontaneity. Because they are glib talkers filled with enthusiasm, they work well in sales and marketing of ideas. While they are social and fashionable fowls, they are oftentimes inattentive, impatient and manipulative. They are not keen on time management and are inattentive to details. Every so often, they seek recognition in what they do. In relating with Peacocks, try to avoid protracted arguments; instead, focus on rallying behind their ideas and visions to win them over.

4) Eagle

The bold and authoritative Eagles are typically dominant and decisive persons. They are typically thought of as Type-A people. As leaders, they are dynamic, natural achievers and decisive. They are output-oriented who prefer the workplace to be well-structured and fully functional. Because of these traits, they are often on the top of the ladder as CEOs or military officers. Negatively, they can be impatient, manipulative, domineering, compelling and insensitive to other people’s needs. In relating with the Eagle, be sure to argue with facts, not opinions; and, if possible, be supportive of his goals and objectives. Deal in a businesslike and formal manner.

The Bottom Line

The DOPE is a new school of thought that introduces a concept quite opposite the golden rule. It says that you are not the same as the other person, and that other person has a different idea of how he or she wants to be treated. “Treating others as you would like others to treat you,” might not work so well after all. The new rule says that it is best to treat others according to their personalities which dictate how they wish to be treated. If you had been wondering why there are people you meld so well and others you collide every so often, try assessing your different personalities. You may find that you had been needlessly fighting with the wrong bird, when you could have pecked the fowl on the tuft.

extrovert here.

you guys might enjoy this. it's the DOPE bird test. pretty interesting and helpful for dealing with people in a work setting. you figure out which of 4 birds you are most like: Owl, Peacock, Dove or Eagle. have i posted this before? can't remember. anyway, it might surprise you as to what you find yourself to be. there's more info on what each bird's weaknesses and needs are and how to deal/communicate with them but i won't post it due to copyright issues.

http://examinedexistence.com/the-dope-4-personality-test-which-bird-are-you/ 1) Dove

The peaceful and friendly Doves are persons of diplomacy and tact. Overall, they are people-oriented, sympathetic, supportive, and team players. They have good listening skills, pleasant to work with and can be relied upon. They usually find professions as teachers, mentors and social workers. When there are conflicts, they are more likely to avoid confrontation, change, and assertiveness. They will often seek affirmation in what they do. In relating with Doves, be warm and sympathetic. Remember that they are naturally relaxed and slow-paced. Earning their trust might take a while, so be patient.

2) Owl

The wise and analytical Owls are the perfectionist, methodical, determined, well-organized and systematic lot. Their bywords are precision and logic. They provide balance in the workplace because of their perseverance, diligence and penchant for structure. Decision-making can take a tedious and meticulous process, and they can be bullheaded and unbending if logic dictates so. They are also wont to be critical and fault-finding, especially on other people’s ideas. While they are at home with details, they shun risks; so be objective as you present your ideas with concrete facts not personal feelings or opinions. They usually thrive in the field of engineering or accountancy. In relating with Owls, be painstakingly detailed and well-organized as you would support their preoccupation with systematized workplace.

3) Peacock

The showy and cheerful Peacocks embody happiness and optimism. They love to talk, and they prefer the fast chase and spontaneity. Because they are glib talkers filled with enthusiasm, they work well in sales and marketing of ideas. While they are social and fashionable fowls, they are oftentimes inattentive, impatient and manipulative. They are not keen on time management and are inattentive to details. Every so often, they seek recognition in what they do. In relating with Peacocks, try to avoid protracted arguments; instead, focus on rallying behind their ideas and visions to win them over.

4) Eagle

The bold and authoritative Eagles are typically dominant and decisive persons. They are typically thought of as Type-A people. As leaders, they are dynamic, natural achievers and decisive. They are output-oriented who prefer the workplace to be well-structured and fully functional. Because of these traits, they are often on the top of the ladder as CEOs or military officers. Negatively, they can be impatient, manipulative, domineering, compelling and insensitive to other people’s needs. In relating with the Eagle, be sure to argue with facts, not opinions; and, if possible, be supportive of his goals and objectives. Deal in a businesslike and formal manner.

The Bottom Line

The DOPE is a new school of thought that introduces a concept quite opposite the golden rule. It says that you are not the same as the other person, and that other person has a different idea of how he or she wants to be treated. “Treating others as you would like others to treat you,” might not work so well after all. The new rule says that it is best to treat others according to their personalities which dictate how they wish to be treated. If you had been wondering why there are people you meld so well and others you collide every so often, try assessing your different personalities. You may find that you had been needlessly fighting with the wrong bird, when you could have pecked the fowl on the tuft.

I got:

Dove (45%)

• Owl (30%)
  • Eagle (15%)
  • Peacock (10%)

Not particularly surprising, given the descriptions. Cool little test though.

extrovert here.

2) Owl

3) Peacock

4) Eagle

The Bottom Line

Interesting. I got:

Owl 60%

Eagle 30%

Peacock 10%

Dove 0%

Archived