The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comets Tryout: Stefan Legein

Lui's Knob

Stefan Legein was in Sweden when he found out a 20-year-old had ended his life after getting kicked off a hockey team. Legein did not know Terry Trafford, did not know all the circumstances surrounding his death. But upon reading his story, the 25-year-old Legein could not help but think of what he went through when he was Trafford’s age.

“What happened in Saginaw is a tragedy,” Legein wrote on Twitter on Wednesday morning. “We need to educate kids on the fact that life doesn’t end with a game and there’s so much more … this is a subject very close to my heart … and I hope we can put a stop to disastrous situations like this … rest in peace.”

Legein was about the same age as Trafford when his hockey career veered off its natural course. At the time, he was a top NHL prospect with the Columbus Blue Jackets who had just helped Canada win a gold medal at the world junior hockey championships. The future appeared to be laid out in front of him. All he had to do was continue on the same path many others have travelled.

But Legein couldn’t do it. Something was bubbling underneath the surface, something that he kept hidden from his coaches, his friends and even his family. And so, without warning, he quit. And for a while, it was as though his world was coming to an end.

“I was scared I wasn’t going to live up to what everyone said, wasn’t going to be good enough,” Legein said in a phone interview from Sweden, where he is playing for Vasteras IK in the second division. “I was at a point where I couldn’t take it anymore. I was consumed by negative feelings. There were dark days. I wasn’t going to let hockey hurt me anymore.”

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/03/12/terry-traffords-death-a-grim-reminder-for-former-prospect-stefan-legein/

Legein had some much bigger problems to deal with than hockey when he was at a critical age in his development that stunted his growth (he quit altogether for almost a full year after junior). Hopefully he can impress and earn a contract with Utica.

I will always remember him from the world Juniors where he interviewed John Tavares interview acting like Geno Reda it's priceless... Now just let me find it.....

Going through a couple of the related videos, and Marchand even calls him a character. Seems like a fun guy to have in the dressing room and there may be some untapped potential.

Doesn't seem like there's anything inherently wrong with him hockey-wise. Makes me wonder if the team would be willing to hire a psychologist to work with him, since if he can overcome his barriers of depression we might be able to see the guy he was going to become yet. If he's only as old as J.T. and Giroux he can still be a solid if not impressive player when he hits his prime.

From what I can gather, Stefan Legein has (had) all the tools to be a talented, tough, agitating forward. But he was also a kid who at 19 didn't love the game anymore, and decided he needed time away from it.

Mad respect for Legein for having the courage to take care of himself and get his head and heart right.

I find it's an upside-down world when a kid who shows maturity by making tough decisions is labelled as something negative (speaking in general terms)...mad respect for Benning and Linden for giving Legein a chance, even if it's at the AHL level, when most of the hockey fraternity probably views Legein as a kid with a troubled past.

I hope Legein makes it to the show.

Side note...on the surface, Legein's story reminds me of Victor Oreskovich's story.

Archived