The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Richard Panik-TB, Eric O'Dell-Win

I don't know about the moving to #30 after claiming thing. I've seen it tossed around on these boards but never really substantiated. I was always under the impression that waiver claim order was strictly based on standings, but I can't say for certain. Seems like something elvis15 might be able to answer.

Paging Elvis .... Elvis to the Panik thread, please.

But that's a good point about holding back and waiting for a promising Dman to pop up while we still sit at #6.

Just so happens I've answered that any other time I've seen it, so good call out. You do not move to the top of the pile for the next set of waivers if you have a player claimed from you, nor do you move to the bottom of the pile if you make a successful waiver claim.

Waiver priority is based on standings during the season after November 1st. Before November 1st and through the offseason, it is based on the previous year's standings.

Exactly, the only time that changes is if a player claimed from you on waivers is put on waivers again in the same season. Then you'd get first rights to re-claim that player. The other scenario is if a player claimed from you on waivers is included in a trade in the same season, then the player would have to be offered to you and any other team that put in a claim but was beat out by the team that did get him.

I'll be happy if we can take advantage of our waiver position and pick up a quality depth defenseman.

But if not, we can't afford to pass on free talented players like this. Our prospect pool is better, but it still needs more talent. Not too many chances at getting players with the upside of Panik.

As a Bowie fan, I was hoping he'd go to the Red Wings - just for the headlines.

Although we wouldn't drop in the waiver standings by taking him, we would take up another roster spot and gain another contract (50 maximum). I don't think Panik would be much of an improvement on anyone else in our top-9 (he only scored 13 points in 50 games last year in Tampa), and isn't really suited in a 4th-line role.

Not a huge loss but I don't believe we'll bring up Jensen or Shink full time till next year anyways so a waiver pick up at this time fits in good with our 4th line or bottom pairing depth we have on the current roster,if the waiver player doesn't pan out release him.

Archived