The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Three coaches now have given Kassian short looks at top-six minutes, what gives?

TheRussianRocket.

Did you watch the 3rd line last night, it's quite obvious Kassian drives that line and most people saw the difference in it with Kassian out including me and Benning.

Agreed on that...Kassian drives that 3rd line..without him last night, they looked very mediocre..I have really liked Kassians game lately,he's not coasting and he's realizing how to use his size to his advantage...

The refs seem to be putting their focus not on Kassian these days,but Dorsett...It's almost a given,every game that there's going to be a weak call going to Dorsett.

I totally agree and said so a few posts back.

Kassian's problem is he doesn't seem to want to grow up. He is at a stage in the "game" now where the compete level is off the scale and yet that mic'd up video shows me he still doesn't get it.

The reason the other players he speaks to are virtually "blanking" him is because they are totally in the zone and in sport when you are in the zone you tune out garbage which isn't relevant.

Casein needs to do that. Get his mind totally in the game and in the moment and get rid of the wise cracks. Seriously, Bieksa is the last guy on earth you need to say "no friends on the ice" to. What the hell is he thinking?

If Kassian thinks Jim Benning will wait forever for the message to get through I think he is in for a surprise. Benning is building a cup team and I don't think he will tolerate Kass's attitude much longer.

We need to see less chirping, less staring and more concentration on the task he is being given to carry out.

Don't get me wrong I like Kass and sometimes some of his play is sublime but that only makes me ask why is he not playing that way all the time. It's lack of concentration.

What? It's called having a personality, different players have different ones. From the videos I've seen Kassian seems to get along fine with the guys on the team. Guys (other than Kassian) joke around on the ice all the time. Maybe some of the things he said, he said because he knew he was mic'ed up?

How does this video prove that Kass has a crappy attitude?

Your slant is bad enough to read, but your fabrication of facts is just trying way too hard to make a bogus case that bears no resemblance to reality.

Two assists on the season says hello.That's the reality you get to chew on for a while.

I mean,he's a beast,the difference maker,drives the third line,the misunderstood player we are awaiting to become THE PLAYER-where would the team be without him?

Give me a break.

And his linemates stats? Mathias 3 pts and Richardson 6? I would say Kassian's biggest strength is his ability to hold onto the puck in the offensive zone, using his body to protect it, while other players get into position for a pass. The problem is, no one on his line is a finisher.

Two assists on the season says hello.That's the reality you get to chew on for a while.

I mean,he's a beast,the difference maker,drives the third line,the misunderstood player we are awaiting to become THE PLAYER-where would the team be without him?

Give me a break.

I can see why you wouldn't want to own your bullshat and opt for sidetracking and changing the subject instead. You're giving yourself a break.

Congratulations nucknit - you posted the correct amount of assists without giving in to your temptation to doctor reality.

Very creative stuff to follow as well.

Two assists must mean that Zack lacks vision and doesn't pass the puck well, right? That sounds like an apt addition to the pathetic storyline you sad haters try so hard to tell yourselves.

Give me a break.

That's your inflection not his.

Just because many people don't have the bias and hatred you do for a player doesn't mean they think the player is the second coming of Gretzky.

The fact is he's looked good this season. Not great or christ like but he's looked good. He's had flashes of being great and flashes of being piss poor but last night the third line looked a little lost without him there. That doesn't mean he drives the line it means that line works with him on it. It's a step in the right direction. I know this is hard to accept because Kassian is something Gillis did so you naturally have to piss on it as if you're trying to put out a brush fire but it's starting to get a little bit ridiculous.

And his linemates stats? Mathias 3 pts and Richardson 6? I would say Kassian's biggest strength is his ability to hold onto the puck in the offensive zone, using his body to protect it, while other players get into position for a pass. The problem is, no one on his line is a finisher.

I agree with the sentiment here but I think the thing is Kass isn't a finisher right now either. That's ok though because the third line isn't supposed to be a points juggernaut. That line has done very well at playing hockey; which is much more important than just scoring flashy goals.

Kass is doing what he should be doing right now. The talent above him is to good for him to usurp at the moment. It's nice to have a more traditional third line. Seems like it's been a few years since we've had one.

That's your inflection not his.

Just because many people don't have the bias and hatred you do for a player doesn't mean they think the player is the second coming of Gretzky.

The fact is he's looked good this season. Not great or christ like but he's looked good. He's had flashes of being great and flashes of being piss poor but last night the third line looked a little lost without him there. That doesn't mean he drives the line it means that line works with him on it. It's a step in the right direction. I know this is hard to accept because Kassian is something Gillis did so you naturally have to piss on it as if you're trying to put out a brush fire but it's starting to get a little bit ridiculous.

I think you have got a good read on it but you have to admit there are (sorry old news) a lot of guys that think that he is the second coming of Gretzky... Well Bert anyway ;). All we know now is what he is now and that his improvement is slow but showing some signs of life.

I think you have got a good read on it but you have to admit there are (sorry old news) a lot of guys that think that he is the second coming of Gretzky... Well Bert anyway ;). All we know now is what he is now and that his improvement is slow but showing some signs of life.

I think a lot of people feel the need to over compensate in their defense of him because of the ridiculous arguments (I'm not really that sorry Nuck Nit) that get made against the guy. I try to stay as balanced as I can but god damn if I don't wanna break a board rule every now and then. ;)

I also get my argument goes both ways. Some people probably do feel the need to trash him because they feel someone is hyping him a bit.

Neither makes much sense to me but I think the first one is far more prevalent.

I think a lot of people feel the need to over compensate in their defense of him because of the ridiculous arguments (I'm not really that sorry Nuck Nit) that get made against the guy. I try to stay as balanced as I can but god damn if I don't wanna break a board rule every now and then. ;)

I also get my argument goes both ways. Some people probably do feel the need to trash him because they feel someone is hyping him a bit.

Neither makes much sense to me but I think the first one is far more prevalent.

I suspect when he first got here a lot of fans were hoping he would be a major force and game changer. As he hasn't had that kind of impact, I suspect some are throwing him under the bus as not living up to their hype and others are cinging to the hope that it still might happen. Reality is usually somewhere in the middle (except on the Internet).

I suspect when he first got here a lot of fans were hoping he would be a major force and game changer. As he hasn't had that kind of impact, I suspect some are throwing him under the bus as not living up to their hype and others are cinging to the hope that it still might happen. Reality is usually somewhere in the middle (except on the Internet).

What he was traded for was a big impact to some people. I get it because I was a guy who thought CoHo was going to be great and potentially both players could be. I would suspect though both players will float around the second and third lines most of their careers; and I'm fine with that. The Bertuzzi comparisons always make me cringe a little.

What he was traded for was a big impact to some people. I get it because I was a guy who thought CoHo was going to be great and potentially both players could be. I would suspect though both players will float around the second and third lines most of their careers; and I'm fine with that. The Bertuzzi comparisons always make me cringe a little.

I agree that was the genesis of it. i just think some people haven't adjusted their expectation of him as a player, or the development timelines to reality. I always cringe over player comparisons. The Bertuzzi one is particularly bad as i think people have a lot of selective memory around his impact: he was a very frustrating underperformer longer than he was an impact player.

I agree with the sentiment here but I think the thing is Kass isn't a finisher right now either. That's ok though because the third line isn't supposed to be a points juggernaut. That line has done very well at playing hockey; which is much more important than just scoring flashy goals.

Kass is doing what he should be doing right now. The talent above him is to good for him to usurp at the moment. It's nice to have a more traditional third line. Seems like it's been a few years since we've had one.

I would agree, but he has tools to be a great set-up guy. I was just defending someone's post that because of his points total he should sit, the whole third line hasn't been getting points.

Baggins got the old "I took you off ignore to give you another chance but now I'm putting you back" routine.

Tomdavie/pinhead used to pull that same routine all the time.

Could it be?

Could well be his former life. Oh no! I've been put on ignore by the mighty nit!

Man for someone who likes Kassian you sure bash him a hell of a lot. Why on earth would you come out swinging and then say at the end "Don't get me wrong I like Kass" . Everyone is entitled to and should express their reasonable opinion. Personally I think he has earned his spot on this team and as long as he keeps his physical play up will stay with the team. If we get to the playoffs we are going to need some power up front and his youth and strength just might provide that.

It's because I am a fan of Kassian that I care about his development. When you like a player but you see his shortcomings it makes no sense to ignore them. Especially if they are nothing to do with his skills but his mental attitude.

There is no doubting Kassian's quality if there was I wouldn't want him in the team. However Benning is not likely to wait forever for him to sort his "head" out.

As you say, I am entitled to my opinion.

Many people have been saying the same thing about Kassian for 3-4 years now and whereas he was only 19 when he arrived, he is now almost 24 and he does not appear to be letting the core players maturity rub off on him.

This will hurt HIS career in the end, nobody elses, it will mean the difference between his being a 2nd liner and a 3/4th down the road and he needs to be taken aside and given a serious talk. I don't think that day is far away.

Don't forget we could have some pretty gifted players emerging on this team in a couple of years and this will only hurt Kassian's prospects if he can't grow up.

• 2 weeks later...

...I fricken hope Willie gets the hint. Kass on the PP twice and they score both times...hopefully he finally puts him on the 3rd line sometime soon too....

Pretty sure it is Willie sending the messages and a certain someone that is supposed to be deciphering the hints.

Zack Kassian is a CHILD in a MAN'S BODY. He is the exactly what a "Man-child" is.

His maturity level needs to be questioned. It's ok to have fun but you gotta have a switch.

He needs to learn from Bieksa how he can joke with the media and guys in the room and then when he is on the ice he is mean mugging everyone.

He's the classic all the tools but no toolbox type of player. He is still a project right now but you have to wonder if the light will ever fully turn on for him.

Plus if ever does reach his ceiling will that only be for 3-4 years of consistent play from 27 to 31 say.

Archived