The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Three coaches now have given Kassian short looks at top-six minutes, what gives?

TheRussianRocket.

I'm more concerned about his complete lack of aggression. When was his last fight or even shoving match? I think Mike Peca was right when he said buffalo gave up on him because he refused to get involved and refused to believe that his primary value was his size and grit. I always remember the rhyme... Came in as a crusher, thought he was a rusher, ended up an usher! Yes he's still young and bigger guys take a little longer, but the time has come.

To me points are less important then effort and game play shift to shift. If Jensen is out there playing hard, getting great shots and chances but not getting a goal is that not as good as kass looking lost and disinterested but getting a goal? I wanna see ball busting effort from the kid the pressure is on time to show your stuff, and again if he plays 10 fantastic games in a row but goes pointless I'd pick that over a few points but a lack luster effort. Just me?

I suspect this opinion stems from your own bias towards him.

I suspect this opinion stems from your own bias towards him.

no kidding. I don't think I've ever seen such a bloated expectation put on a player just to serve a selfish purpose. Doesn't like Kass so expects him to be a superstar out of the gate so that he cxan bash him when he isn't. Kass is right about where he should be.

To stawns and baggins. I think both of you are right. The unrealistic expectations are the issue with Kassian. He is held to an unfair standard in terms of where people think he should be. I don't think he has been as bad or as "lazy and disinterested" as many suggest. I think he is just trying to figure things out still. He is still a young guy who has not played a ton of NHL games yet and has bounced around a lot in terms of where he has fit in the lineup. He may never turn out to be what many want but I still think the goal at this point is to have him keep moving forward as a player. I think he is doing so.

Can we please not bring advanced stats to reason with things. It ruined the NBA and it's going to ruin the NHL. All those excessive stats won't make too much sense in the NHL. It's such a team game that I guarantee it'll change depending on where a player plays. Play with better line mates you'll have better advanced stats. Eye test is and always will be the best way to judge. Only stats that you should be looking at are goals and assists. Them, from that, how they got those ie who they played with, in what situations. Stop this "corsi" bs.

Can we please not bring advanced stats to reason with things. It ruined the NBA and it's going to ruin the NHL. All those excessive stats won't make too much sense in the NHL. It's such a team game that I guarantee it'll change depending on where a player plays. Play with better line mates you'll have better advanced stats. Eye test is and always will be the best way to judge. Only stats that you should be looking at are goals and assists. Them, from that, how they got those ie who they played with, in what situations. Stop this "corsi" bs.

Ken Hitchcock stubbornly shared the same view as you, and he learned to love the stats

Ken Hitchcock stubbornly shared the same view as you, and he learned to love the stats

Advanced stats have a place in the analysis of players but honestly they are like anything else: when taken in isolation they do not provide a clear cut and definitive view of any player. They must be used to add to the existing evaluation of a player from many different angles to be effective.

Advanced stats have a place in the analysis of players but honestly they are like anything else: when taken in isolation they do not provide a clear cut and definitive view of any player. They must be used to add to the existing evaluation of a player from many different angles to be effective.

Agreed. Advances stats need to be taken with a grain of salt. Hockey has so many intangibles that affect the outcome of a game. Using these stats to compare a shift, sure, but using them to solely compare which players are better, not a chance. In what world would anyone believe that Crosby is outside the top 100 in this league? Fenwick and Corsi both say he is. If GM relied only these stats you’d see players like Henrik Sedin getting traded for Marco Scandella.

Here’s a fun fact on how Corsi got it’s name

http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-the-real-story-of-how-corsi-got-its-name-1.100011

“I was going to call (the new metric) the “Regier” number. But it didn’t sound good; it didn’t seem right. Then I was going to call it the “Ruff” number (after then Sabres’ coach Lindy Ruff), but that obviously sounded bad. So I went to the Buffalo Sabre website and looked at a picture of a guy on their website, and Jim Corsi kind of fit the bill. So I called it a “Corsi number” and then I pretended it was (Corsi) I heard on the radio talking about it – that’s what I told people. That’s basically (how Corsi got named).”

Wait a minute. Was Ferrari actually saying Corsi became Corsi because he liked the look of Jim Corsi’s picture, especially his moustache, on the Sabre website and the sound of his surname?

This team won't succeed without Zak on the top line. The twins will be checked into the ground as they have always been played in the playoffs. The second line has been very in effective. Bonino should be on the 4th line instead.

Umm yeah there is a good chance this team won't succeed with him on the top line either...

Stats aren't horrible, but shouldn't be the end all be all. Puttin players in the right places to succeed using those stats are great. Is a player better on the right or left? Strong face off side? Strong D side? You can use advanced stats to determine those some times. But at the end of the day you can alter those by playing them elsewhere.

Kassian has got to show he can bring it every game. When I was at the game on Saturday, I totally forgot he was playing at times. Then every once in 6 shifts you see him flying out there.

Consistency is Kassians biggest flaw. If he can fix that, I'm sure any coach would have no problem sticking him on the top six

The only thing that Kassian needs to do consistently at this point is throw the body, then I wouldn't regret the trade.

This is the basics of it, how he needs to get going is to not be concerned about scoring as much as staying involved in the shift. You see him finding the weak areas and playing the perimeter looking to create chances off of someone else's work. He needs to be the worker, the banger, and the net crasher. It's a lot of work being a power forward, is he willing to do it? If he is the scoring will come.

This is the basics of it, how he needs to get going is to not be concerned about scoring as much as staying involved in the shift. You see him finding the weak areas and playing the perimeter looking to create chances off of someone else's work. He needs to be the worker, the banger, and the net crasher. It's a lot of work being a power forward, is he willing to do it? If he is the scoring will come.

I'd love to see him line up with Horvat when he comes back, you have to imagine how good he would be with better line-mates. His work ethic, two-way game and effective use of size would hopefully rub off on Zack, and they're both offensively skilled enough to feed off each other's passes. If someone like Jensen (or Matthias when he rebounds) could play as the L.W. then we'd have a big, young, talented 3rd line and stacked forward group overall.

Kassian has got to show he can bring it every game. When I was at the game on Saturday, I totally forgot he was playing at times. Then every once in 6 shifts you see him flying out there.

Consistency is Kassians biggest flaw. If he can fix that, I'm sure any coach would have no problem sticking him on the top six

Once some of our prospects start to show, Kassian will have to buck up as JB does not strike me as someone who will wait forever for someone who seems to be taking the piss most nights.

He is surrounded by dedicated pros who go out there to make a difference and yet he can look as lost now as he did 2 seasons ago. There is a lot of "puppy love" for this guy but he is fast approaching the point where he has to take more responsibility and demonstrate his intention to stay "active" in every shift.

I am starting to seriously question his "engine" now, due to his constant floating during so many shifts.

Tonight should be a perfect opportunity for him to go out there and vandalise the Canes at every opportunity. I will watch with interest.

He has the talent and the physique but has he the temperament to function in the NHL?

Once some of our prospects start to show, Kassian will have to buck up as JB does not strike me as someone who will wait forever for someone who seems to be taking the piss most nights.

He is surrounded by dedicated pros who go out there to make a difference and yet he can look as lost now as he did 2 seasons ago. There is a lot of "puppy love" for this guy but he is fast approaching the point where he has to take more responsibility and demonstrate his intention to stay "active" in every shift.

I am starting to seriously question his "engine" now, due to his constant floating during so many shifts.

Tonight should be a perfect opportunity for him to go out there and vandalise the Canes at every opportunity. I will watch with interest.

He has the talent and the physique but has he the temperament to function in the NHL?

I'm kind of thinking the same thing, once rookies start passing him in the depth chart he put more effort in.

I agree with the idea,,I think the strongest thing he can learn is to throw clean bodychecks, he's fast enough,fk the goals they'll come. but a nice clean consistent physical pressure can change a games momentum. The refs and other teams are intimidated by him they're all watching for him every shift. If he hits clean there's nothing they can do about it. So many scoring chances come off a good hit.As long as he keeps it simple..

Archived