The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Talking about Coffee

AriGold

I buy coffee from various places, but mostly from a small independent coffee shop, Demitasse, that roast beans in house and make their own blends. I don't have a coffee grinder so I get them to grind it there.

Tofino Coffee Company also has good in house roast beans too. Whenever my nephew visits from there, I get him to score me a pound. I ask the workers at Demitasse to grind the Tofino stuff and they're always willing to do it.

I've still got my old school Braun drip coffee maker that I purchased in '95. Works beautifully and makes great coffee.

I drink coffee mostly with powdered whitener, no sugar. Sometimes black, sometimes with cream or milk, but never too sweet. An 1/8 of a teaspoon is plenty. I used to drink sweet coffee, but now i can't stand it.

McDonalds coffee has set the bar very high, not the other way around. Previously outside the home coffee in canada was 75% consumed at Tim Hortons and 5% McDonalds, Recent studies show McDonalds took 8% from Tim Hortons since the launch of McCafe and Tim Hortons is now 67% and McDonalds 13% of the Canadian market.

McDonalds has a 100% arabica bean and the process used on their coffee is miticulous for consistency and flavour.

Burning their coffee negates that, no? In all seriousness, McDonald's has really improved their coffee lately...when it's good, it's a decent cup of coffee, but often I get a cup of coffee that tastes just plain burnt. Maybe I need to go to try another location?

Burning their coffee negates that, no? In all seriousness, McDonald's has really improved their coffee lately...when it's good, it's a decent cup of coffee, but often I get a cup of coffee that tastes just plain burnt. Maybe I need to go to try another location?

I rarely get Mcdonalds coffee except when i'm travelling, and half the time its decent, but the other half it just tastes like cigarettes and burnt toast. horrid.

What this equates to is Franchise store to a corporate store quite typically. Franchise stores don't follow the exact same standards as a corporate store. Believe it or not that is 100% true. I have always found you will get worse food/beverages from a franchise store vs a corporate store. I only know the difference because my buddy is a ops manager who runs 9 corporate stores in the Langley area.

Thanks you guys, honestly. I do appreciate the feedback.

This is my grinder....a little primitive, but it was given to me and it works perfectly fine, so.

Braun-coffee-grinder.jpg

Yeah see, the things with those spinning blade grinders is that you get a highly inconsistent grind. You'll get an ultra fine powder (grit in your coffee) and big chunks (require longer brewing time to extract flavour that also leads to acid/bitterness) and everything in between.

A burr grinder conversely, will grind everything to a very even granule at whatever size you choose (and the machine allows). Coarser for say french press, medium coarse for drip and finer for Aeropress/espresso.

I find it's especially key for why the Aeropress coffee tastes SO good. The main reasons Aeropress coffee is so good is that the water temperature is lower than "normal" and the brew time is very short. What that does (when using a near espresso level fine grind) is allow you to get the most flavour/oils from the beans as possible with very little of the acid/bitterness associated with higher temps and longer brewing times in other methods. All rich, creamy coffee flavour, very little bitterness.

A spinning blade grinder will simply not work there. And even with say a drip brewer you're still getting more acid than you want because of the different sizes in your ground coffee.

i have a bunn coffee maker right now that has a heated reservoir of water that keeps it at the lower perfect temp for the coffee too, and it also does a quick brew so we get really good flavour when combined with our burr grinder, but we will be going with a k-cup in the future because we always make too much except when we have company. and its less work to just pop in a cup.

oh and burr grinders do give you a much more uniform grind, but it still does have some inconsistency, you're breaking beans apart, they will never be completely uniform, there will always be some smaller pieces and some dust, but at least you won't have giant chunks bigger than your max size setting.

i have a bunn coffee maker right now that has a heated reservoir of water that keeps it at the lower perfect temp for the coffee too, and it also does a quick brew so we get really good flavour when combined with our burr grinder, but we will be going with a k-cup in the future because we always make too much except when we have company. and its less work to just pop in a cup.

oh and burr grinders do give you a much more uniform grind, but it still does have some inconsistency, you're breaking beans apart, they will never be completely uniform, there will always be some smaller pieces and some dust, but at least you won't have giant chunks bigger than your max size setting.

I'm going to keep pushing Nespresso on everyone until KCups users are all converted. ;)

Fair enough, I guess I oversimplified there but you should have a reduction of extremes and overall a much more uniform grind.

Which should lend itself to richer, less acidic coffee when brewed accordingly.

What's temp and brew time of the Bunn out of curiousity?

McDonald's coffee tends to taste very different to me in the US than it does in Canada. I'm not sure if there's something to that, or if I'm just imagining it.

Generally speaking I just buy a cup of coffee at whatever place is closest to me at the time, if it's priced reasonably. I'm really not picky.

Love drinking coffee in general., but I haven't acquired a taste for anything in particular. I don't like what comes out of those Keurig machines though. That's one thing I can say that just doesn't taste right to me.

McDonald's coffee tends to taste very different to me in the US than it does in Canada. I'm not sure if there's something to that, or if I'm just imagining it.

Generally speaking I just buy a cup of coffee at whatever place is closest to me at the time, if it's priced reasonably. I'm really not picky.

Love drinking coffee in general., but I haven't acquired a taste for anything in particular. I don't like what comes out of those Keurig machines though. That's one thing I can say that just doesn't taste right to me.

McDonalds coffee in the USA is roasted and distributed by Kraft.

McDonalds coffee in Canada is roasted and distributed by Mother Parkers.

pretty much agree. i love coffee, i even drink bad stuff without complaining. and when i am out of beans, i usually just try something new each time and drink it all without complaining. don't have a go-to kind

that said, sometimes i make a really good cup and i think to myself, wow, this tastes amazing, and far better than the cup i had yesterday.

if i could somehow figure out the science behind it, i'd go through the trouble. coffee is good, but good coffee is amaaaaazing

pretty much agree. i love coffee, i even drink bad stuff without complaining. and when i am out of beans, i usually just try something new each time and drink it all without complaining. don't have a go-to kind

that said, sometimes i make a really good cup and i think to myself, wow, this tastes amazing, and far better than the cup i had yesterday.

if i could somehow figure out the science behind it, i'd go through the trouble. coffee is good, but good coffee is amaaaaazing

How to make the perfect pourover:

Blade grinders do not give a consistent enough grind to have great results on an ongoing basis. If you want the perfect cup every time it starts with a burr grinder. And yes, avalanch is right, burr grinders do still offer some inconsistency, but blade grinders by comparison are horrific. What's the one thing that you will never see even in a plug coffee shop? Right, a blade grinder.

If you are wondering what Chemex is it is just the name of the coffee maker and filter. I use the Hario V60 and I really like it.

This is the only way to adjust for the bad crops Brazil was delivering. A price increase per bag would scare away some consumers so they thought it was best to lower the amount of coffee and not adjust the pricing.

Brazil went from 6/7 days of rain to 1/7 days this past year which had dried out all the crops therefor making them un-usable. Brazil is roughly 60% of the world coffee and they are estimates they will lose 40% of their crops this year which is creating a influx in pricing. It could top out at a very high price this year and the commodity could end up double by years end making coffee that much more expensive.

Lucky for me I don't drink a lot of Brazilian coffee. Unlucky for me is that Latin America overall having a bogus year means fewer beans for big purchasers who may look elsewhere as well and drive up the prices. I really like some of the beans coming from Africa, where they have been having a "not as bad as expected" last couple of years.

This is a long article so I won't post it all here, but it is a pretty good read that corroborates much of what you said.

http://www.investing.com/analysis/coffee-prices-soar-as-drought-ravages-crops-230067

Coffee Prices Soar As Drought Ravages Crops

As the world's most prolific Coffee grower, Brazil is an integral component of the commodities market. Approximately 35% of global coffee production and an estimated 50% of the world’s Arabica coffee bean crop comes from Brazil. Some commodities brokers have even likened Brazil's dominance in the coffee market to Saudi Arabia's dominance in the oil market. Unfortunately, coffee is one of those crops that are heavily dependent on weather phenomena and climate change. 2014 has been particularly harsh on the coffee crops in Brazil, owing to a severe and protracted drought which has left many crops destroyed.

Archived