The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Athletes be Perceived as Role Models?

Spotted Zebra

kids have more than one role model.... their parents are not their be all end all source for their moral compass. parents need to step in when athletes and celebrities and other role models mess up, and explain what happened, why what they did is not appropriate, etc, but saying that athletes should not be role models because parents should be is one hell of a shortsighted and unrealistic view.

ding ding ding. avelanche gets it right.

there is no set 'role mdoel' position. parents cannot be role models for the duration of a child's life, lol. that's ideologically bizarre and totally ignorant of development. the best thing a parent can do is teach a child how to be media literate from a young age. not try to eclipse all other influence to be THE Role Model

ding ding ding. avelanche gets it right.

there is no set 'role mdoel' position. parents cannot be role models for the duration of a child's life, lol. that's ideologically bizarre and totally ignorant of development. the best thing a parent can do is teach a child how to be media literate from a young age. not try to eclipse all other influence to be THE Role Model

There are so many ways a person can fill the "role model" position given how vague the term is

Since it's a placeholder for ethics and values, I think it's reasonable to expect parents to instill the seeds of what they feel is correct to their children.

You're correct in that it is an oddly stagnant view to have that parents should be role models, period, because it does overlook the many different aspects a person can serve as an aspiration to anyone. Parents should fill the fundamental role of instilling the correct outlook as an anchor and let the child go from there.

Celebrities can be role models for superficial things such as style, fitness and looks without overtaking a person's moral compass with their own. As mentioned before, it takes media literacy and perspective

Of course they should be.. like anyone who has reached the pinnacle of their craft they possess many positive traits to be admired. "Role model" doesn't limit itself to morality.

I like the Greek heroes as a comparison. While amazing in particular situations, almost all were inherently flawed. Appreciate the bravery and tenacity of Achilles, the strength of Hercules and the intelligence of Odysseus. Just don't model your entire life around them.

kids have more than one role model.... their parents are not their be all end all source for their moral compass. parents need to step in when athletes and celebrities and other role models mess up, and explain what happened, why what they did is not appropriate, etc, but saying that athletes should not be role models because parents should be is one hell of a shortsighted and unrealistic view.

So saying parents are more fit to be role models sounds short sighted and unrealistic eh? Sounds like the awesome parenting one expects from people today. As in.. it sucks.

So saying parents are more fit to be role models sounds short sighted and unrealistic eh? Sounds like the awesome parenting one expects from people today. As in.. it sucks.

parents are the default role model for all kids until proven otherwise, that's just how it naturally works, but they are not the only one a kid will have, and it is not realistic to believe that's all that the kids will attach to. you clearly are talking from an idealistic point of view that has no basis in reality.

parents are the default role model for all kids until proven otherwise, that's just how it naturally works, but they are not the only one a kid will have, and it is not realistic to believe that's all that the kids will attach to. you clearly are talking from an idealistic point of view that has no basis in reality.

They're supposed to be, but they aren't -- and that's the problem. Although, this other stuff about having only one role model I presume is aimed at someone else. It's not something I've been saying or even suggesting. I'll let you take that up with whoever is.

They're supposed to be, but they aren't -- and that's the problem. Although, this other stuff about having only one role model I presume is aimed at someone else. It's not something I've been saying or even suggesting. I'll let you take that up with whoever is.

No, they are, until they are replaced or proven (in the kids eyes) to not be worthy of being their role model. the argument at hand is whether a professional athlete should act like a role model, and the answer is 100% yes they should, because they are, whether they like it or not.

No, they are, until they are replaced or proven (in the kids eyes) to not be worthy of being their role model. the argument at hand is whether a professional athlete should act like a role model, and the answer is 100% yes they should, because they are, whether they like it or not.

No. Athletes in particular are placed in the position to be a role model outside their respective sport because parents lazily hand-off their position of role model to anything on television. The athlete's function in their sport to society is entertainment, their job isn't to guide yours or anyone else's kids. Children that don't have their faces in TV all the time, and thus not raised by it, aren't going to be guided by said entertainers on the tube. That's a rather simple fact. Society gives them responsibility they don't deserve by putting them up on this pedestal that extends beyond the sport they play. Then they turn around and complain wondering why entertainers get paid millions. People are good at making me feel much smarter than I am. Simple logic seems exceedingly tough as people divert their life responsibilities to technology/entertainment and gubment. Athletes are not role models any more than Bugs Bunny, but of course, given parents of the last several generations expect even cartoons to be educational, it shows you the course our increasingly stupid and non-thinking society is headed.

No. Athletes in particular are placed in the position to be a role model outside their respective sport because parents lazily hand-off their position of role model to anything on television. The athlete's function in their sport to society is entertainment, their job isn't to guide yours or anyone else's kids. Children that don't have their faces in TV all the time, and thus not raised by it, aren't going to be guided by said entertainers on the tube. That's a rather simple fact. Society gives them responsibility they don't deserve by putting them up on this pedestal that extends beyond the sport they play. Then they turn around and complain wondering why entertainers get paid millions. People are good at making me feel much smarter than I am. Simple logic seems exceedingly tough as people divert their life responsibilities to technology/entertainment and gubment. Athletes are not role models any more than Bugs Bunny, but of course, given parents of the last several generations expect even cartoons to be educational, it shows you the course our increasingly stupid and non-thinking society is headed.

So if one of a kid 's role models (you conceded at one point they can have more than one, even though your argument doesn't support that) is a sports figure, you are saying the parent is no longer a role model for that kid and the parents decided to hand off their position of role model to anything on television?

agree with everything up until here. that's getting a little preachy, isn't it? an adult can act however they want to act, but i do think if they choose to live in the limelight, their words and actions deserve more scrutiny, and that's where parents and educators should come in

So if one of a kid 's role models (you conceded at one point they can have more than one, even though your argument doesn't support that) is a sports figure, you are saying the parent is no longer a role model for that kid and the parents decided to hand off their position of role model to anything on television?

Parents are the primary role models of a child, far and away... unless they hand that responsibility off, which they often do. So when people say athletes are role models "whether they want to be or not", they're thrusting athletes into this position. It's not the athlete's fault others assign them this responsibility. The poster above you gets mad at Quick swearing, as if Quick is supposed to be teaching a child what to say or not to say. I mean, really? I better let my kids watch Wolf of Wall Street then complain that Leonardo DiCaprio or Jonah Hill aren't being great role models for my kid.

If you can't see what's wrong with this, I dunno what to say. And I probably shouldn't say anything more. Society is hopeless.

Athletes are role models for many kids, whether they want to be or not.

This is why I don't like hearing guys like Quick drop f-bombs in their cup winning speech in front of thousands of fans.

Agreed.. People like to idolize or have role models who are above them in status.

For the most part I would say athletes should be the least idolized unless you're in sport striving to be like them or something...

Archived