The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ray Ferraro Rips Into Tortorella [Audio]

Giant Inflatable Beaver

Is ripping Tortorella supposed to make us feel good or something....?

If he is such a cancer that everyone on here seems to think he is, he wouldn't be the established NHL coach who has worked in the league for 10+ years we hired.

Torts may have been part of the problem, but we had a bad season last year, stop trying to scapegoating Torts - - I still don't understand, does it make people feel good about themselves? lol.

I disagree and think he was a horrible choice for Canucks' coach. I thought it at the time of the hiring, thought it when the club was winning in the first parts of last season, and obviously thought it as the team collapsed in the latter part of the season.

He overused players until they were hurt and mentally and physically exhausted, instituted a system that didn't match the personnel (block a lot of shots, dump and chase rather than try to keep possession), didn't communicate with his players, didn't communicate with the farm team coach, made it so Canucks simply couldn't keep Luongo by insulting him by not playing him in the outdoor game, embarrassed the team, league and himself running after an opposing coach ... it was horrendous. (imo the Calgary fiasco was actually the least of the issues.)

Some of that (for example, overuse) may be explained as feeling the pressure to be a President's Cup contender with a roster that wasn't good enough to do that.

Some of it (dump, block shots and other methods) may be explained as trying to use methods he'd won with before (though using them with the lineup he had seems questionable at best.)

Some of it-the lack of communication-is simply unexplainable.

Nice to see Torts finally getting what he deserves. I was mad when I found out he'd be our coach last year. I felt he was the worst coach in the league and knew he would fail in Vancouver. He belongs in the ECHL at best. The turnaround the Canucks are having this year hopefully means he never lands another job in the NHL.

Hilarious. When he was hired, a lot of question marks were on him about him being the right fit, but nobody thought that he was incapable, due to his Stanley Cup win in TB, especially with the same assistant coach that he had.

Funny how you come out with this post now. Hindsight is 20/20 and you're acting like you knew what would happen. Nobody did.

1.Again, this time last year nobody had a big problem with him.

2.Sure, Torts is Torts, and a scapegoat is a scapegoat....

3.....but also note that it took awhile before Benning/Linden even pulled the trigger on canning Torts.

1.Laughter erupts.

2.Rolling laughter continues.

3.May 1st. Laughter again erupts with celebratory cheering from Canucks fans flag-waving.

Is ripping Tortorella supposed to make us feel good or something....?

If he is such a cancer that everyone on here seems to think he is, he wouldn't be the established NHL coach who has worked in the league for 10+ years we hired.

Torts may have been part of the problem, but we had a bad season last year, stop trying to scapegoating Torts - - I still don't understand, does it make people feel good about themselves? lol.

Not ripping him personally, but as a coach yes. Not saying Torts was 100% of last year's problems, but he was definitely a major contributor. MG and ownership share some of the blame as well for that season. But to say Torts is a good coach because he won a Stanley Cup 10 years ago is just being blind. Who knows, maybe he will see success with another team, though I doubt it. It's pretty clear that he was only in Vancouver for a paycheque, he knew management was in shambles and he put in the least amount of effort he possibly could.

All that said, you have to look on the positive too, he helped us get a high draft pick! You could say he's also partially responsible for the management overhaul, although I believe that was coming anyways.

Interesting note, Feraro had some real +/- shockers in his career.

Interesting note: Ferraro played for some terrible teams in his career. Most notably the expansion Thrashers.

Ferraro's worst +/- was 1999-2000, but his -33 wasn't the worst on the team. The team had a combined -558!

So yeah...doesn't really tell you much about Ferraro as a player, does it?

Interesting note: Ferraro played for some terrible teams in his career. Most notably the expansion Thrashers.

Ferraro's worst +/- was 1999-2000, but his -33 wasn't the worst on the team. The team had a combined -558!

So yeah...doesn't really tell you much about Ferraro as a player, does it?

Something about +/- on bad teams is that often the teams' better players have a poor +/-. They get lots of ice time and if the players around them aren't up to the quality of the opposition, they find themselves on the ice for a lot of goals against.

The +/- data don't make any allowances for quality of opposition, quality of linemates, time on ice, zone starts etc.

Ferraro on bad teams was probably facing better opposition than he would have if on a stronger team (with better teammates to face the best opponents' players), playing more and had weaker teammates. It wouldn't be surprising for him to have some poor +/- years.

(The NHL didn't start keeping toi until Ferraro was in his mid-30's so it's hard to tell how much time he put in on the ice for some of those bad teams. In 2000-01 at the age of 36 Ferraro played for the Atlanta Thrashers, was 1st among Thrashers forwards in total toi and 2nd in average toi while leading the team in scoring and tied for 4th worst in +/- among the teams' forwards at -11. The team at even strength scored 148 goals and allowed 191.)

Yay! You're the best, nuck nit!

Still doesn't change what actually happened last season.

Seems a certain somebody missed large portions of an entire season.

Tyhee and Oldnews make legitimate points of reference to last season.

Did not communicate and/or communicate well with players.

In fact ,it is reported and known he mentally and physically belittled his veterans at times.

Had a long-time running feud with Hartley in which Torts took center stage.Well documented disgrace.

Refused to practise with his team. Limited dialogue with players and GM.

Coaching techniques stale,ineffective and limited

I could go on but Torts is not worth my time.

Seems a certain somebody missed large portions of an entire season.

Tyhee and Oldnews make legitimate points of reference to last season.

Did not communicate and/or communicate well with players.

In fact ,it is reported and known he mentally and physically belittled his veterans at times.

Had a long-time running feud with Hartley in which Torts took center stage.Well documented disgrace.

Refused to practise with his team. Limited dialogue with players and GM.

Coaching techniques stale,ineffective and limited

I could go on but Torts is not worth my time.

Blah

Blah

Blah

Frack me, thanks for the typo correction. Whew.

At the time nobody was concerned about how the record was obtained. ie. On the backs of one stacked, overplayed line. And everyone was cheering loudly when the Sedins were re-signed for 4 more ppg years. Well, I was concerned, but hardly anyone else was.

Basically, it's CDC. Even the geniuses here were glad-handing each other after a huge win over the Bruins in mid-december. Going into advanced stats blabbering and how brilliant Torts was at coaching that game. Nevermind the B's were banged-up and flu-ridden. That was pretty much the peak of Torts-mania. And not being onboard at the time would seem silly.

Now we're in the same boat this season, different coach and different regime. Will it turn out differently this season? We will see.

But I think it's time to realize that no, it wasn't all Torts. And bashing the guy now when he's long gone is pointless. Me so hungy for a CDC epiphany in this regard.

Your generalizations are very annoying. I was against the Torts hiring from day one. In support of the team, I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. But the Calgary debacle sealed it for me, and I wanted him gone then and there. And I was concerned, despite the record, and I was worried about over-playing the top line. So please ease off the "nobody was worried" crap. I thought the writing was on the wall and I'm sure some others felt the same, even if they weren't vocal about it.

Your generalizations are very annoying. I was against the Torts hiring from day one. In support of the team, I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. But the Calgary debacle sealed it for me, and I wanted him gone then and there. And I was concerned, despite the record, and I was worried about over-playing the top line. So please ease off the "nobody was worried" crap. I thought the writing was on the wall and I'm sure some others felt the same, even if they weren't vocal about it.

I'm sorry that I didn't recall your specific reaction, however, the general feeling around here at this time to the end of December last season was that everything was hunky-dory with regards to Torts. He had majority support here at the time, even among a lot of those who were against his hiring. Anyone saying otherwise right now is likely using hindsight, of course. The Calgary debacle was into the start of the decline due to injuries. In fact it was all about Calgary appearing to take advantage of Henrik's condition at the time.

I wasn't on this forum then, just started posting. I went on rants to every Canucks fan I knew the day I found out he was going to be our coach. He has a cup because the NHL gift wrapped Tampa a Stanley Cup. I hate the Flames, but they won that series in game 6 (Gelinas dis-allowed goal) He wants every player to play like they are a 3rd/4th liner. Alienates his best players and plays the hell out of plugs, like he did with Sestito and Booth last year. Look at his track record. Teams best players have their worst seasons under this goof (Gaborik, Nash,Richards, Sedins, Burrows, Edler) He hates Europeans and loves American players. Mark my words, Nobody will ever give him a chance again at this level. If they do it won't work!

Injuries and lack of depth are the main reason why the team collapsed, but Torts did all he could to win with the lineup he had. Dale Weise wasn't going to change much. He's Dale Weise. And the Luongo trade was years in the making.

Torts = Scapegoat.

Torts is the scapegoat..?..That is clearly delusional..

Archived