Shoots: L
Height: 6’2.25
Weight: 174
GP: 68
Goals: 5
Assists: 19
Pts/Gm: 0.35
PIM: 69

Player Analysis: Tate Olson is a large and toolsy blueliner for the Prince George Cougars…features a fairly decent skating stride overall…doesn’t seem to be an overly powerful skater but does possess quite good speed in open nice…skates quite well backwards which helps him cover a lot of ground against the rush…footwork in tight space will need to be improved during his development before playing at the next level…balance will be an area that needs to be strengthened as he gets heavier and stronger…can handle making plays on the outlet in a consistent fashion…isn’t a very flashy player when it comes to his puck moving game but makes the plays which are expected of him…owns a very good shot with his one-timer being a noted strength for this level…could stand to shoot the puck more rather than over-thinking here and there…his hands overall don’t always seem to be consistently “on” but they’re definitely above-average for a player of his size and age…is an extremely tall, long and skinny player…that excellent reach really helps him on the defensive side of the puck…does tend to rely too much on that reach at times…has been guilty in a bit of reaching and flailing defensively during my viewings…would be better suited to stand up tall, square up and play some good old fashioned chest to chest defence at times rather than attempting to play the puck…physical play is a noted strength and will get better with more weight and strength…plays a fairly aggressive and in-your-face style of defence that projects well to the next level given his frame and reach…could stand to pick his spots better regarding when exactly to be physical, though…have noticed some bizarre decisions at times both with and without the puck, leading me to question his overall hockey sense…that perceived weakness in decision making would be the one major thing keeping him lower on my list than where others might have him rated…is an every-situation type of player at this level, seeing time on both the powerplay and penalty kill in many of my viewings…was usually a bottom 4 type of defender this year, playing quite regularly alongside Joe Carvalho with the Cougars…his lack of offence down the stretch was a bit of concern for me as he had 17 points in his first 36 games but only 7 in his next 32…was a 2nd round pick, 24th overall, by the Prince George Cougars at the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft…overall I see a bucket full of tools in his game but still do wonder at times about how well he processes the game…without that concern, there is no doubt he has the skillset and frame to be a top-90 type of selection…I think he projects as a solid two-way defender at the NHL level, given that he develops almost perfectly…while I rate him only as a borderline draftable player in 2015, I wouldn’t be shocked if some teams had him rated a round or two higher with him possibly going as high as the 4th round come draft day…

Archived