The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Some eye opening numbers that show exactly where this team is.

Ronalds.Kenins41

If I recall, the 'underlying numbers' for LA were quite good last season. Not quite as good this season as they lost Voynov and didn't replace him. I don't think they're going to win the cup. Tough to repeat.

Chicago's are good this year. Slightly better than last year. They've been good for years.

Minnesota's are good this year as well. Not sure why they're underperforming so much. Will probably fire Yeo and make some trades.

New York's are worse. Doubt they go to the finals again this season.

Pittsburgh's are better. But Crosby isn't doing well by his standards.

TB's are better. They're pretty much a contender now.

As for us, we're around the same. I think what's different is that we've been healthier so far, and that reflects in the standings.

While I view this team as mediocre, there are a few details coming to pass that change my overall outlook on the team.

#1. The play of Ryan Miller. After listening to goaltending annalists explain the process of changing your game and how long it takes for the thinking to remove itself and the natural reaction to occur, (bout half a season), Millers performance has really come along over this period. He's been a top 5 goalie over the last 6 weeks. He's playing with great confidence and the team is feeding off of it.

#2. With the absence of Hamhuis, the duo of Tanev and Edler have really impressed me with how theyve handled big minutes vs the best opposition. They are proving to me to be a highly capable #1 pairing, which means Hammer can settle in as a 2nd paining D man. Now if he had a PMD/PPQB partner on that 2nd pair, our combo of D and G could really separate us from teams like Dallas, Minni, Col, and even SJ whom all have more opposing top end offenses that can be nullified with sound D and G, and allow our forward depth to take advantage of some matchup opportunities, especially late in games when we may have the fresher of the forward groups.

Here are real eye opening numbers- wins and losses are the most important numbers,

especially on the road!

Number of road wins all of last season = 16 in 82 games

Number of road wins so far this season = 15 in 44 games

We now have 55 points in 44 games which translates to a 103 point season

JUST WIN BABY!!!

Philidelphia was number two - 2nd round exit

Chicago was number three - 2nd round exit

Detroit was number four - 2nd round exit

St Louis was number five - didn't make the playoffs

Buffalo was tied number six - 1st round exit

Btw, according to NHL.com we were tied for 6th in 5 on 5 goals. Why does this matter again?

This is a good find. But it does matter because clearly, we score enough 5on5 goals, but aren't keeping it out of our net 5on5. Defense is lacking should just be the conclusion.

I don't understand the dismissal of PP goals. They are part of the game and can make all the difference. An even team 5/5 with a good PK will win games if they score on the PP.

Remember not long ago?...all the rumbling about our PP being awful and that was the reason for a lack of success? So now it means little to have it rolling....unimportant and inadequate (that's not what was being said at the time).

Oh boy, people have short memories and just move on to the next thing without realizing it's a difficult thing to be a top team in pro sports. "Just do it".

Philidelphia was number two - 2nd round exit

Chicago was number three - 2nd round exit

Detroit was number four - 2nd round exit

St Louis was number five - didn't make the playoffs

Buffalo was tied number six - 1st round exit

Btw, according to NHL.com we were tied for 6th in 5 on 5 goals. Why does this matter again?

you have to check the other stats too. I am not saying it tells the whole story I am just saying that what it's telling; our 5 on 5 play is average/ barely even in terms of goal scoring.

Remember not long ago?...all the rumbling about our PP being awful and that was the reason for a lack of success? So now it means little to have it rolling....unimportant and inadequate (that's not what was being said at the time).

Oh boy, people have short memories and just move on to the next thing without realizing it's a difficult thing to be a top team in pro sports. "Just do it".

I think that was before we realized that the PP would no longer be given to us / good teams learn to shut down PPs in the playoffs. 5on5 is clearly much more important in today's game.

LA's got 4 more (5 on 5) than us, concerned about them?

Anaheim: 3

And they've both played 2 games more than the Canucks.

Numbers only tell part of a story and here's the lovely thing about hockey.....none of it matters beyond wins/points. Even in the playoffs...you can score 9 goals 5 on 5 but if the other team scores 10 goals, it's irrelevant how they came to be. No one cares. So if you're getting goals somehow, something's working.

Not sure the point of this, but the numbers need to be taken in context is my main point here. Don't extract some and determine the team's worth on them.

We're analyzing things in segments but it's the big picture that counts. You can extract all kinds of numbers and make points about them, but points are the numbers that count.

Who won the cup last year?: LA / How did they fare overall in 5-5 scoring/goals: they were ranked 27th. Goals for overall: 26th. So many things factor in. With that, they were the toughest team to score against. So defense, goaltending....let's look beyond just "scoring" to what contributes to wins. And yes, special teams play a role in that...don't be so quick to discount them. I don't know that we rely on them but we certainly should be thankful when they're working....we all know what happens when they're not!

I need coffee to help with my eye opening before I can digest this further.

I want to clarify one thing. I am not saying any of this to take away from what the team has done this season. Lets be honest here Linden and Benning have done a great job and no one expected this team to be sitting here where they are. They even managed to hold top spot in the league for a day which was impressive. The sedins are close to being point per game players. All of our lines are contributing well with the exception of the second but it's understandable to me cause they were being used as a shutdown earlier.

That being said we have a tough schedule coming up in February and if we don't improve our 5 on 5 play we will not draw penalties. We already are 26th in league in power play opportunities and it has nothing to do with the league hating us or refs being against us. It has to do with the fact our 5 on 5 play is not good enough to draw penalties.

There will always be exceptions LA being one of them. And when there are we have to look at the likelyhood of us being able to emulate what they are doing. And right now our defense is still learning, we are inconsistent but are improving as the season goes on. I see them getting there in a few years with Tanev and Edler which I think is a very good pairing for the future even after the Sedins retire.

But my point is we are not LA, and most likely aren't going to become like them with what Linden said his vision for this team is so 5 on 5 play does matter because we need it to be good to draw penalties so have a higher chance of scoring. I am not saying we rely on special teams 100% of the time but they do help us the majority of the time especially our PK.

Stats never tell the whole story, but they tell little stories that show where things are at. In this case, our 5 on 5 play.

I think that was before we realized that the PP would no longer be given to us / good teams learn to shut down PPs in the playoffs. 5on5 is clearly much more important in today's game.

Run the numbers from the offensive output % from the D on Stanley Cup winning teams over the last few years vs. the offensive output % from the Canucks D over the last few years.

Tie that in to our tenth place PP% numbers league wide.

Run the numbers from the offensive output % from the D on Stanley Cup winning teams over the last few years vs. the offensive output % from the Canucks D over the last few years.

Tie that in to our tenth place PP% numbers league wide.

I am sorry I don't know such a percentage on any of the websites given. Mind telling me your website that you do all of that with?

Stats never tell the whole story, but they tell little stories that show where things are at. In this case, our 5 on 5 play.

So we're about equal to the other team minus 4 goals. Every 10+ games we give up an extra goal. WHOOPDIDOO!!! lol

EDIT: Let's also not forget the games were we'd lose by 4 or 5 goals. For a while there, when we lost we lost big. That fact alone skews those numbers bigtime.

I am sorry I don't know such a percentage on any of the websites given.

Mind telling me your website that you do all of that with?

No website offers that service so I do the research myself.

The Canucks have to get more offense from their back end to legitimately compete.

A PMD has to be obtained through trade and Benning has to figure out a way to exchange assets he presently has without destroying the present strength and chemistry of the team.

Archived