The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Coach Willie...or Won't He?

Warhippy

i dont like that kass is being benched when hansen higgins sbisa vey bonino biesksa sedin get free reign to do whatever no consequences tortorella of all people had kassian get 27 points last yr soo obviously willie isnt trying to get modt out of our only big physical forward which boggles my mind put him on a line with daniel and bonino get him to sit his fat ass in front of net and get garbage goals on pp he has potential to be a john leclaire just as habs wasted his talents he ripped it up in phili

Established veterans will always get more slack than young unestablished players. And despite his games played Kassian still hasn't established himself. Don't mistake not producing with playing badly. The two don't always go hand in hand. Higgins, Hansen and Bonino are all solid two way players producing or not. Kassian hasn't proven himself to be an any way player. Vey has played better than Kassian throughout the year and he's a rookie. Kassian has talent, he just seems to have an immature attitude and temperament that leads to stupid plays. If he ever manages to wrap his head around playing different roles he could be an effective player on any line. As is he's a wild card on any line. Coaches to tend to love wild cards.

The second unit started 3 of the 6 power plays last game. I would honestly prefer to have a line of Horvat, Matthias (stand in front) and Bonino. It’s not just the PP unit. It’s that line in general. Can you honestly say our second line is effective as of late. Not as being strong defensively but as providing “second”ary scoring. No they haven’t. So why not give more ice time to the players who have been producing. Vet got 15 minutes, Higgins got 16 minutes last game with a total of maybe one quality scoring chance. If Horvat can get 3 points in his last 3 games averaging 11 minutes, does it not seem fair to see what he can do with a bit more ice time. Horvat has the same amount of point in the last three games as Vey and Higgins have since the last 12 games. WD’s got to do something to motivate them. Perhaps seeing a rookie pass them on the depth chart would kick start them.

In your eyes, if Richardson was to be back in the game tomorrow. Who sits?

Last night they did get some starts. Wow one game! I'm talking the season as a whole. The vast majority of the season they've been starting in their own end with 30 to 40 seconds left. It's not much time to be effective. Horvat had 4 points in two games earlier in the season. Then nothing for quite a while. Last night Horvat also had no shots, no hits, and no blocked shots. Kennins had four shots and three hits. Maybe you're suggesting moving the wrong guy up.

Imo Higgins shouldn't be on the second line and definitely not on the pp. Excellent third line player, poor mans 2nd line player. I'd try Mattias, Bonino, Burrows on the 2nd pp unit. Possibly Vey on the point with Hamhuis.

If Richardson is back tomorrow Kenins is back to the farm and Kassian continues to watch the games.

Minor League Willie is completely in over his head. He might get better but right now it looks like he should have either stayed in the AHL or retired. He has made a lot of bonehead decisions and still can't seem to count to 5 with all the too many men calls.

Last night he played the weakest, smallest possible lineup against the biggest, meanest team in the NHL right now. Vancouver is lucky all of their players are alive today. Poor little Dorsett got worked in a fight because he gave up 50 pounds and about 2 feet to Peluso. No Kassian or Sestito so Dorsett was forced to gamble with his life because Desjardins doesn't want any toughness on this team.

They got the win despite Minor League Willie's ineptitude at this level. Imagine a playoff series like that. They will run out of living, breathing bodies to even play 4 games, let alone win the series.

Last night they did get some starts. Wow one game! I'm talking the season as a whole. The vast majority of the season they've been starting in their own end with 30 to 40 seconds left. It's not much time to be effective. Horvat had 4 points in two games earlier in the season. Then nothing for quite a while. Last night Horvat also had no shots, no hits, and no blocked shots. Kennins had four shots and three hits. Maybe you're suggesting moving the wrong guy up.

Imo Higgins shouldn't be on the second line and definitely not on the pp. Excellent third line player, poor mans 2nd line player. I'd try Mattias, Bonino, Burrows on the 2nd pp unit. Possibly Vey on the point with Hamhuis.

If Richardson is back tomorrow Kenins is back to the farm and Kassian continues to watch the games.

I'd feel bad for Kenny if he was sent back after three good games but that's prob the way it would work, who else would get scratched?

I'd feel bad for Kenny if he was sent back after three good games but that's prob the way it would work, who else would get scratched?

When a player returns from injury somebody has to come off the roster. That's no longer a matter of scratched, it's a matter of waiver eligible.

Benning said on 1040 that he and Willie talk every day. If Kass is sitting, Benning knows why and likely supports it. There could be all kinds of reasons we will never know. I think the announcers last night were likely right that Kass is capable of playing an effective 3rd or 4th line role but when put in that position, he wants to play like a tops 6 forward. He is confused, which could be understandable but if WD - who is known to be a communicator- feels Kass has been given the message and he's either ignoring it or just doesn't get it, sitting hi would appear to be the right thing to do.

AS for the rest of the team's treatment...it appears WD does give some players more slack than others but that can be attributed to a lack of options in some cases, the learning curve/potential or that the player is trying to do what is asked but still learning. So many factors for WD to consider.

Completely agree with this.

Smart move take out the player who's got 2 goals in his first 3 games, just so Vey can do what exactly. Score? The obvious answer is to sit Vey, Richardson goes back to 3rd line center, Bonino back to 2nd line and Horvat remains on forth. Kenins so far has shown that he can be an effective forth line player. More effective than what Vey could be. And Vey at this point is not knocking any other player out of their current spot. Although I could see him bumping Hansen back to 4th just so that Vey can remain in the top 6.

Point is right now Vey does not deserve top 6, he’s not helping this team out in that role. Maybe someday he will, but the fact of the matter is there are other players that our helping this team out with less leeway. Ie. Horvat.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Bonino Vbrata

Matthias Richardson Hansen

Kenins Horvat Dorsett

If Richardson was back tomorrow, I don’t see any spot that Vey would overtake. To be honest if Vey is going to be moved to wing I’d rather have Jensen call up as a RW over Vey.

Minor League Willie is completely in over his head. He might get better but right now it looks like he should have either stayed in the AHL or retired. He has made a lot of bonehead decisions and still can't seem to count to 5 with all the too many men calls.

Last night he played the weakest, smallest possible lineup against the biggest, meanest team in the NHL right now. Vancouver is lucky all of their players are alive today. Poor little Dorsett got worked in a fight because he gave up 50 pounds and about 2 feet to Peluso. No Kassian or Sestito so Dorsett was forced to gamble with his life because Desjardins doesn't want any toughness on this team.

They got the win despite Minor League Willie's ineptitude at this level. Imagine a playoff series like that. They will run out of living, breathing bodies to even play 4 games, let alone win the series.

Minor League Willie? Poor little Dorsett? Gave up about 2 feet? Gamble with his life? Ineptitude? Run out of living, breathing bodies?

I knew there wasn't a reason why I didn't bother to read your posts, now I'm reminded of it.

OP, I know you used other examples than just Vey of potential favoritism by WD but the reality is: if Richardson was healthy Vey would probably be parked in the presser right beside Kassian. I think an argument could be made for playing Matthias at center with Kassian against heavy teams like Winnipeg and LA but we won the game so no need to second guess it really.

Minor League Willie? Poor little Dorsett? Gave up about 2 feet? Gamble with his life? Ineptitude? Run out of living, breathing bodies?

I knew there wasn't a reason why I didn't bother to read your posts, now I'm reminded of it.

Be honest. The reason is the posts are too long.

OP, I know you used other examples than just Vey of potential favoritism by WD but the reality is: if Richardson was healthy Vey would probably be parked in the presser right beside Kassian. I think an argument could be made for playing Matthias at center with Kassian against heavy teams like Winnipeg and LA but we won the game so no need to second guess it really.

Brilliant post ! Matthias at center even for a look see with kass and higgins would be fast as hell with the element of two huge bodies in Matthias and kass. The speed form the other 2 would force kass to get into the open areas and float around the front of the net bangin and crashing pucks home.

WD is rolling what he thinks will do the best given what he sees in practice on a daily basis. The players have a large say in what the lines are. By their play in practice and obviously WD takes note of the last game and how it was played by each and every player. So coupled with those 2 factors, injuries and cap issues we have the revolving door we see currently.

I see this happening on every single NHL team this year. I have never in my life seen this much line juggling on every team. This is the new NHL . Competition and talent is at an all time high.

I wonder how LA fans feel about Williams playing on the 3rd and 4th lines the last few weeks ?

Clever title name lol. I wouldn't go as far and saying he's lit the forums on fire with his recent decisions. He's a coach that knows how to get the most of out his team and his players. Having us the uninformed but supportive fans critize him isnt going to do anything. He knows what it takes to win and hes giving each player the type of treatment or privillage they need to be successful.

I just hope this doesnt become a topic that grows into something serious. I would feel embarassed to be a canucks fan if we had reporters talking about us as a fan base doing this non sense. Lets just chill. see what happens and maybe a little tough love is whats needed for some players.

Every coach in every sport is accused of playing favourites.

In reality it's the fans that play favourites, coaches just want to win games.

giphy.gif

Be honest. The reason is the posts are too long.

UtJlnX2.jpg

Have you seen some of my posts? I tend to write them twice as long as yours.

tumblr_m7cjunZOrA1rziwwco1_400.gif

Smart move take out the player who's got 2 goals in his first 3 games, just so Vey can do what exactly.

It's better than losing Vey, or Kassian to waivers. Kenins can be recalled from Utica, a player claimed off waivers is gone for nothing. Which is smarter?

It's better than losing Vey, or Kassian to waivers. Kenins can be recalled from Utica, a player claimed off waivers is gone for nothing. Which is smarter?

They'll make the smart asset move and it won't be a reflection on Kenins' play. He'll be told so he understands that, and we may see more impetus to make a trade to free up a spot so we can call Kenins back up.

Have you seen some of my posts? I tend to write them twice as long as yours.

I don't read your posts. That's mainly because I've never seen any of your posts before this page but partly because you hurt my feelings. I put my blood, sweat, and tears into my messages and you don't even take the time to enjoy them. That's cold ... ice cold.

Archived