The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Coach Willie...or Won't He?

Warhippy

It’s the coaches job to get the most out of his players. Over the last month he hasn’t been doing that. Burrows, Hansen, Higgins, Dorsett, Vey, All will only 3 points since Jan. Bonino with only 4 points, Kassian with one.

What he’s doing we’ve seen over and over. Zero adjustments to the line up. When things start to go south instead of changing things up we see the same old with hopes that we get a different result. Well it’s now February and canucks record in the month of January was an unimpressive .500 hockey.

AV at the start of his stint in Vancouver was very successful at juggling things up after players went cold. He gave other players more opportunity and these players starting to run with their new roles. Burrows, Kesler and even Hansen all were benefiters of this. Heck even Kassian was a benefiter of getting to play on a line with the Sedins. Perhaps the 21 year old at the time just couldn’t handle all the pressure of being on the first line of a team that won back to back presidents trophies.

I really don’t care how hard the player works, if the skill set is not up to par with the work ethic we still get the same results in the wins loss column. It gets really tired of watching some players work their tail off and still come up short, Anyone else tired of watching Higgins bust in over the blue line and take a wrister right into the crest of the goalie. It’s boring hockey. If we’re going to lose I want to see skill, some excitement, even if that means we are going to experience some player lapses or costly mistakes. It would make way more entertaining hockey then what we’ve been seeing the last 10 games. Zero emotion, zero real scoring chances, guys seem like they are just coming to work and doing their job, no one is really having any fun out there. A bunch of lunch box players and the one player that seems to still enjoy coming to the rink is getting blacklisted by the coach and run out of town because he doesn't fit that type of mold.

I have no problem with Higgins play. He eats up minutes against the oppositions top lines so that rookies like Horvat have a chance.

What people don't seem to understand about Higgins, Hansen, Burrows etc, is that even when they're not scoring, they do have other functions on the team. Why is our PK near top of the league? Because of them.

Kassian has 6 points and is -8 in 26 games. The fact that people are calling out WD for benching him is ridiculous.

Oh, and irregardless is not a real word!

I don't think I could possibly refute this point of view vigorously enough to do the truth justice.

I think WillieD has had the exact same affect on this team that Tortorella had over this roster in the first half of last season. Off to a quick start, high in the standings, and then epic collapse.

If two coaches can do the same thing in the same period of time with relatively the same roster (except WillieD has an advantage because he has a more stable goaltending situation, and a bona fide sniper in the T6 with Vrbata), and the same results continue... then it's not coaching that's the issue.

I believe that this team is incredibly fractured, and it starts and ends with the Sedins. They have grown accustomed to the way things are, always rationalizing, always apologizing, always saying this and that need to be better.

I think WillieD is a good enough coach, I think the problem is the core of this team. Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa, and Hamhuis. I think that at the very least until the Sedins are gone, I don't think we will see much different from this team regardless of who the coach or GM are.

Don't tell me you just compared Willie to Torts. Lol. Using similar records to compare and contrast the two doesn't make sense lol. Look at the team atmosphere last year compared to this year and the relationship with the coaches and management. Some things you can't measure.

What people don't seem to understand about Higgins, Hansen, Burrows etc, is that even when they're not scoring, they do have other functions on the team. Why is our PK near top of the league? Because of them.

Kassian has 6 points and is -8 in 26 games. The fact that people are calling out WD for benching him is ridiculous.

Oh, and irregardless is not a real word!

Doesn't matter if you have the best PK in the league unless your team is scoring your never going to win games. Between those three we have 9.5 million (14%) tied up in our cap. They didn't get their raises due to being strong defensively, they got those raises based on producing. Richardson, Dorsett, Matthias even Horvat all make less and are just as effective PKers. Ryan Johnson was one of canucks best PKers and he made peanuts.

Again if being strong on the PK and defensively is what were counting on from them. good let the play PK but take them off all the offesive zone starts as well. If there not getting it done at both ends of the ice it's time to give someone else a chance.

Doesn't matter if you have the best PK in the league unless your team is scoring your never going to win games. Between those three we have 9.5 million (14%) tied up in our cap. They didn't get their raises due to being strong defensively, they got those raises based on producing. Richardson, Dorsett, Matthias even Horvat all make less and are just as effective PKers. Ryan Johnson was one of canucks best PKers and he made peanuts.

My point was at least they actually do something, anything when they're on the ice. What does Kassian do to deserve ice time over them?

I have no problem with Higgins play. He eats up minutes against the oppositions top lines so that rookies like Horvat have a chance.

He eats up offensive zone starts so that rookie like horvat get stuck on the 4th. Why is WD not doing anything to address our second line scoring woes? I'm ready to give Horvat a chance. It's not like it can get any worse we're already not scoring.

Higgins and Hansen? Really? Bonino has been worse than both for longer. At least Higgy and Hansen are great PKers and not sure if you noticed our PK is in the upper part of the league.

The most used forwards on our PK are Brad Richardson and Nick Bonino, with 1:58 SH TOI and 1:53 respectively.

Higgins is 3rd, with 1:37. Hansen 5th with 1:12.

My point was at least they actually do something, anything when they're on the ice. What does Kassian do to deserve ice time over them?

Who cares about Kassian. I'd rather see Horvat and Matthias bumped up to 2nd unit PP and be giving opportunity playing over 15 min per game. Heck even bring Jensen up for fresh take. Again it's not like that second line can be any worse 3 goals in the month of Jan. I'm just tired of seeing the same thing put on the ice and getting the same results.

I think willie knows what he is doing. Look at Detroit, they don't have a very physical team and they are one of the top teams in the league. If Kassian wants to play he can't be running his mouth to the media

Why do you think Detroit pushed so hard to be moved to the Eastern Conference?

The Detroit model does not work in the West at all as the Canucks are clearly showing. Our travel schedule alone makes having old players a bad idea. That is to say nothing for the fact that the best teams in the West are big, fast, physical, and skilled. Detroit would get eaten alive in this west now.

Pretty sure WD knows more about how to coach a hockey team than all the arm chair coaches on CDC combined.

This may be a bit harsh but:

Sit down, shut up and let the grown ups do their jobs you obnoxious bunch of chicken littles.

From what I have read in the Kassian's interview, and Willie's interview about the consistency in his play. When Zack said that "I don't even know what the hell is going on". To me, I think he does not understand what the coach wants from him and the coach said he knows. I think Zack is not a bright guy and it is plain to see because he is a visual guy as he is an artist as he likes to draw from one of his profile feature somewhere.

So what I am suggesting is that the coach has to find a way to get through him by holding a one on one video session of his recent games (last 4 games) with Willie and go through all details on what he did right and wrong. The best approach in the session is to let Zack making comments about his play on the ice during the video session on what he is thinking so that Willie learn a thing or two from Zack's mentally and to understand him better. Willie could ask him if he is doing the right thing on a specific play and what assignment he missed. To find out what Zack is thinking and to correct his thinking through the video by pointing out if he said he is doing right and the coach thinks differently then Willie needs to point this out shift by shift.

This is like a mirror and I think it should help him to see in a different light. I think he cannot see himself that he is not being consistency when he think he did the job done and the coach sees differently. Willie needs to show Zack on a few play where it hurts the team and why he could not trust him and make him understand that why the coach benches him because of the trust issue.

I don't think the coach has tried this approach to Zack yet. Drawing X and O on the board does not help Zack and the best way is the video session where the poetry in motion is there. Once Zack get it, he can be a light out for the team, gaining the trust between both individual. He is a skilled player and he just needs some guidance. Just my two cents.

I fully agree with this. How is it that Kass doesn't know what he's doing right or wrong?? There is a clear lack of communication here, and the rules are not the same for all players..

It looks to me after 1/2 a season that there is something with core guys and pet players getting different treatment than others...

How is it that Kass isn't allowed to make a mistake, every move is under the microscope, yet other players sub par performances get a pass??

The coaching staff here seems to be controlled by the core, and perhaps are a little too green at the NHL level to treat vets the same as everyone else when it comes to ice time, production, etc...

Just my 2 cents worth...

Pretty sure WD knows more about how to coach a hockey team than all the arm chair coaches on CDC combined.

This may be a bit harsh but:

Sit down, shut up and let the grown ups do their jobs you obnoxious bunch of chicken littles.

You don’t have to be a professional painter to tell if the people you hired are doing a crappy job

Trust Willie. This is not yet his team or JB's team, more to the point.

This place was full of "no expectations this year."

By Christmas suddenly people expected a long run in the playoffs and by February the team is garbage and Willie is a 3rd rate coach. Typical CDC, they act cool but then their collective nerve goes into meltdown.

"You don’t have to be a professional painter to tell if the people you hired are doing a crappy job"

And if you are really smart you do your research, find a good painter to begin with and relax. That's what JB and TL did.

Archived