The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dale Weise rips apart Canucks/Torts in interview

DonaldBrashear

Never liked Weise. Still don't. He's just blowing hot air well after the fact. We all already know Torts is a jerk.

Do some research on how many other players have said similar things , or hinted at it. Lu included. Maybe ask yourself why players would be so choked they are willing to say this in public. Says more about just how much of a putz torts was , not the players imo. Dale is not the first one

We are supposed to feel sorry for that jerk? Torts is a professional #%*%#%*. He got fired here for the same reason he got fired in New York. Every person and every player around him hated him. He obviously didn't get the message. Why anyone would want to make everyone around them missurable is beyond me. Especially when u have lost employment over your players hating you in the past.

Dale didn't rip the nucks , he ripped a horrible coach that deserved to get fired , and have everyone know why. I don't feel sorry for pricks. I've never seen anyone more dedicated to being one in my life then tortorella aside from mike keenan. If he was going to learn , he would have learned after New York.

The guy got lucky in Tampa. Other than that , he sucks as a coach. Maybe he should go for a law degree. At least he could actually keep his job being who he is.

I never said Tort's isn't a jerk or a prick. I'm saying its not right to kick a guy when he's already down. Torts is obviously never going to coach in the league ever again, and despite that its his own fault, he's lost the ability to do what he loves. Why pile on? Off the ice, the guy doesn't seem like a horrible human. Very involved in charities, helps hurt dogs, etc..

Wow. Yet more proof of just how TERRIBLE Torts was as a coach. I knew Weise was treated badly, but didn't realize how badly. Now I'm doubly glad he's doing so well in Montreal!

But, I do agree with the person who said it wasn't true that no one knew Weise here. Some of us did know and even like him!

I never said Tort's isn't a jerk or a prick. I'm saying its not right to kick a guy when he's already down. Torts is obviously never going to coach in the league ever again, and despite that its his own fault, he's lost the ability to do what he loves. Why pile on? Off the ice, the guy doesn't seem like a horrible human. Very involved in charities, helps hurt dogs, etc..

Sure it is. It's called accountability. He probably won't coach again because he has been held accountable for the things he did , and the way he treated his players. Why should the truth not come out ? He is getting exactly what he earned , an even worse rep then he already had. That's like saying a victim of assault shouldn't talk about it because the assailant got caught and is "down and out."

It's not like he had a couple bad days and yelled at a guy or two. He has made a career of this. When u make a career out of being an egocentric dink, people are going to give expamples of why they are angry. He deserves every single thing that comes out in the media. I hope more guys tell their side of the story too

I found this to be amusing as well. There's been a lot of bipolarism here as of late. 'White noise' as Benning/Linden put it.

I don't understand it.

kassian being confused turns into a 55 page thread about how terrible he is full of what should have been bannable conjecture made up by people who have NO clue about him or his personal life, going so far as to accuse him of having an addiction issue because his hands shook after a hard shift and a fight.

Weise rips the city club and ex coach and people applaud it.

I don't understand it...

Your first post was fine, and in some ways spot-on, but now you are just altering/exaggerating the facts to fit your opinion. There is no need for this, you were doing fine.

No sadly it isn't man.

A player in our jersey makes some statements people jump on him. An ex player makes some more damaging statements and people are defending him.

It makes little to no sense how people cannot just get behind the team and the players on it but will defend a guy who was a mere 4th liner after making statements about how us fans wouldn't have even known him and how we weren't as hockey mad.

Where is the consistency....where is the support?

I don't understand it.

kassian being confused turns into a 55 page thread about how terrible he is full of what should have been bannable conjecture made up by people who have NO clue about him or his personal life, going so far as to accuse him of having an addiction issue because his hands shook after a hard shift and a fight.

Weise rips the city club and ex coach and people applaud it.

I don't understand it...

Probably because you don't seem to understand what Weise said. He 'ripped' only one of those three things, and his opinion on the other one was pretty much in line with what almost every fan of the team thinks of Torts.

UHm with all due respect Torts took the Rangers the year before to the ECF he also paced us the year prior pioint for point for the presidents trophy he hasa cup jack adams award etc etc etc...

Seriously people. piss and moan about the kind of PERSON Torts was. But the fact that AV is successful with another team, Torts was successful with multiple teams and that WD is having the same problems AV and Torts did with this team doesn't mean he was a bad coach. he had an uncoachable team...

Doesn't mean he was a bad coach. just not a people person.

I am far from defending Torts, but to say HE was the main issue with this team is laughable at best. While his coaching may not have meshed with this country club core we have, neither did Av or so far WD either.

After 3 coaches the issue was never the coach. But the core.

While Torts may not have and may never be a players coach or a people person, his resume speaks for itself. Calling him a terrible coach after 1 single season in Van with this roster is a joke

AV won the division with the year before and the presidents trophy the year before that with the same team Torts missed the playoffs with. WD's Canucks have been struggling recently but they are still looking to make the playoffs. Torts was the main problem, how can you not see that?

Torts definitely was the worst coach in franchise history. And we've had Keenan.

For the honour of worst Canucks coach in franchise history there's some pretty stiff competition in Bill LaForge, whose career NHL head coaching record was 4 wins, 14 losses, 2 ties in 20 games with the Canucks in 1984-85, a pts % of .250. He was getting the least out of a bad team. Harry Neale was gm, fired him and took over the rest of the season himself, Neale having a .408 pts % (21-32-7) the rest of the way.

LaForge was generally a Jr coach, his only other pro head coaching gigs, according to hockeydb, being:

1992-92, AHL Bismarck Bulls where he lasted 35 games with a record of 7-27-0-1

1996-97, CHL (Central League, not the Jr. designation CHL has now) Nashville Nighthawks, where he coached 11 games with a record of 2 wins, 9 losses.

Probably because you don't seem to understand what Weise said. He 'ripped' only one of those three things, and his opinion on the other one was pretty much in line with what almost every fan of the team thinks of Torts.

The problem though is that the coach was a club decision. It reflects on the club. Stating we wouldn't recognize him is a joke we even know what the water boys look like.

We're as hockey mad as Montreal easily.

Backhanded attacks well after the fact are crazy. And my sticking point is we have a young kid doing what he can to impress coach and city and he gets attacked for it. We have an ex player saying far worse and he's getting lauded as a near hero for it.

It doesn't jive well with me how those same people who attacked this young kid are defending this other guy for the same stuff.

That's my sticking point.

The only thing crazier is how people are actually stating Torts was/is a horrible coach when they're LITERALLY basing it off of what they saw in vancouver and completely forgetting how he helped turn the Rangers around paced us for presidents cup two years running jack adams multiple successful years on mediocre tampa team.

I don't understand this fan base like at all

AV won the division with the year before and the presidents trophy the year before that with the same team Torts missed the playoffs with. WD's Canucks have been struggling recently but they are still looking to make the playoffs. Torts was the main problem, how can you not see that?

Um, the presidents trophy team and the Torts team was quite a bit different.

Wesie played for Torts in New York so some of Tort's assessment might have come from there.

Weise played with the Packman last night getting a G + A, doesn't sound like a 4th line to me. Kid had speed to burn, played physical and would drop the gloves at times. I appreciate his comment about Tort's wanting him to fight more, sound familiar? Canuck fans want the same out of Kassian and he seems to think he can play the game otherwise. Weise definitely had stretches where he could have been a 3rd liner, especially on the Canucks. His biggest issue was scoring goals and that can change quickly with different line mates and coaching.

Glad he is doing well. He is right up there with K-Conn as one that got away.

Av won the weakest division in the league on the back of the hottest team in the bloody league. He then went on to fail miserably in the playoffs and the second the divisions were re-aligned in a lockout shortened season struggled with an aging core that most likely wouldn't have made the playoffs in a full season. Immediately went on to rock the SCF with the Rangers.

Torts went to the ECF came here and was a league leader until the new year when this core yet again fell apart on him. He tried to get them to do new things they wouldn't couldn't and we ended up drafting 6th.

WD is now having the same issues AV had in his last season here and Torts did in the last half of last season. This means 3 coaches overall had the same issue..Torts was the problem?

Let's ignore the failing core entirely the last 3 seasons and pin it on a coach that only had 1 single season in which to affect any kind of change.

To blame Torts alone is tragic really. To call his resume into question is pathetic. And to actually make me sit here and defend him is actually angering me as I don't like him as a coach. It doesn't mean he doesn't have a successful record it means I dont like him as a coach.

Honestly. Is Torts also the reason our 2nd line hasn't scored really since November? That Higgins can't buy a point. That our 2nd PP unit is the joke of the league?

Again, Torts was part of the overall issue but by and large far from the actual problem with this team as a whole and take off for making me actually defend him

Wesie played for Torts in New York so some of Tort's assessment might have come from there.

Weise played with the Packman last night getting a G + A, doesn't sound like a 4th line to me. Kid had speed to burn, played physical and would drop the gloves at times. I appreciate his comment about Tort's wanting him to fight more, sound familiar? Canuck fans want the same out of Kassian and he seems to think he can play the game otherwise. Weise definitely had stretches where he could have been a 3rd liner, especially on the Canucks. His biggest issue was scoring goals and that can change quickly with different line mates and coaching.

Glad he is doing well. He is right up there with K-Conn as one that got away.

I could care less about Kassian or Weise having to fight the odd time or not. Rather than have a hired goon to take care of all physical/intimidation elements of play, I'd rather have the pushback come from an entire team standpoint, but we're not getting there anytime soon if we continue loading the team with players with virtually no pushback. But this problem is certainly bigger than Weise or Kassian.

What's interesting though with Kassian is that his first major highlight with us was knocking out Ben Eager. He did that on his own, not with team direction. So wtf kind of high horse are we pretending he's on now anyway? I don't believe that crap for one second. Excuses, excuses, excuses. Let us pray the rebuild eliminates those excuses.

For the honour of worst Canucks coach in franchise history there's some pretty stiff competition in Bill LaForge, whose career NHL head coaching record was 4 wins, 14 losses, 2 ties in 20 games with the Canucks in 1984-85, a pts % of .250. He was getting the least out of a bad team. Harry Neale was gm, fired him and took over the rest of the season himself, Neale having a .408 pts % (21-32-7) the rest of the way.

What players did they have again to work with. A lot worse then torts had that's for sure. No Debate, Torts is the worst we ever had. Trying to make offensive players in the sedins to defensive players and trying to make kesler a offensive player goes against common sense. If Jensen and Burrows don't catch fire at the end of last season the sedins would have had less then 40 points last season (which is a considerable drop from the season before when they didn't play any eastern teams and still were close to point per game players).

Archived