The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Big Bang? New physics model shows universe might have existed forever

key2thecup

This new theory doesn't disprove the Big Bang theory though. All indications still point to their being one, and a history of the universe 'as we know it.'

But what it does do is put forth the notion that a singularity wasn't required to have the Big Bang, and that the universe existed forever, (before the Big Bang, as a kind of quantum potential).

I think the Big Crash theory is put into peril though.

Yeah, I thought the "make up your mind" thing was a bit strange.

At one point it was believed that the sun revolved around the earth, but then Copernicus came along. Wouldn't have been a great idea to "make up our minds" before that, methinks.

Then say something next time! ;)^_^

Very interesting. If this is true, I think it disproves the God hypothesis even more. If the universe always existed then why would there be a creator? Granted, the Big Bang Theory doesn't need a God, but it's easier to argue that God created the Big Bang.

God is a creation of people on earth

Depends. Do you think it's a good idea to continually try to educate oneself, or are you comfortable with what you know for the rest of your life?

i guess the question should have been worded differently. something like, "is there a reason why i, or any other science layperson should care about guesswork?" but in response to your superlative, reading information is not education, and unless the layperson has a losing pony in this race (i.e. they are religious, or they argue with religious people), i do not see the value in it. so i am asking, is there value in it that i am missing? or is it just a matter of personal interest?

God has always existed, but according to the Bible, the universe hasn't, hence, the first three words of the Bible.

Correct.

And if we suppose that God is outside the bounds of this universe and that He is omnipotent, then we can also suppose that He can create a rock that is a billion years old on day 1 - or appear to exist for ever.

Archived