The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Islanders

-Vintage Canuck-

I've been one of the Sedins biggest critics the past 3-4 months but man are they showing up right now.

All these injuries, the team is still winning. Shows what a tight group we have this year. Love the energy of the rookies (and Dorsett).

Great to be a Canuck fan when you see the team put in this kind of effort with so many injuries.

Got a whole lot of respect for the Canucks. They've got Edler, Tanev, Bieksa, Bonino, Burrows, Richardson all out... then Miller and Sbisa this game.... yet they keep gutting out victories! They're doing it with a team effort, with the experience of the 'old guys'... the Sedins, Vrbata, Higgins ... the raw energy of the young guns... Horvat, Kenins, Dorsett... the solid, simple game of the young D... and most importantly, stellar goaltending from both Miller and Lack. I can't wait for the playoffs when we get back some of the injured starters!

You forgot "A wily old coach" who the players seem to want to play for.

Ok u got me there. But if u look at that stretch of games the 2 we lost we would think would have been the 2 we should of won

Were they not second night games though. This young team doesn't seem to cope well with 2nd night games, probably because they are expending so much energy.

On MacMillan.

Maybe we will get a surprise with what he can give us. He is a high energy, fast skating player and we will need these in the run in.

Remember that is only his 3rd game in a new team and all of them on the road. He's a BC boy and no doubt will want to do his very best here. JB has not been too far off the mark so far and I trust his judgement and Willie's ability to get the best out of players.

Lucky Nucks...they got away with one there...Islanders with no puck luck...Losing Miller and Sibsia...

take the two points and be happy with it...lets hope their luck holds up.....cause they are gonna need it!!

Kinda makes up for the ones we let slip then, like the Sens, Leafs and Habs games maybe

So lets check our injury list now.

3 top 4 D-men

2 top 6 forwards

1 third line center

1 starting goalie

1 Depth defenseman

Based on our original lineup:

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Higgins xxxxx xxxxx

Matthias xxxxx Kassian

Dorsett Horvat Hansen

xxxxx xxxxx

Hamhuis xxxxx

Sbisa Stanton

xxxxx

Lack

Holy hell...It's quite remarkable that they're finding a way to win games right now. Credit to Benning, Green, and Willie for what they have done with this group. But most of all, credit to the young guys for stepping up in a huge way when we need them. Without the support of these depth players, this season would turn into a nightmare real quick.

Most of all, credit to the twins. They have stepped up their game big time.

Big difference from last year, when they were the ones who were hurt and needed others to step up for them.

The freight train was out full force. Single handedly won my weekly pool with his 7 hits last night. Barely scraped by.

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Been Luuuuu'ing him all year and it's multiplying.

Keep it up sbisa. Thank you kesler... This guy actually can make hits without getting out of possession.

So stoked on this team. Proud. GO CANUCKS GO

I think that is very possible actually. The reality is that when Burrows, Bonino, and Richardson come back (assuming they do before the end of the season as I am not sure of their time frames for recovery) the forward ranks are pretty crowded. It might be tough for McMillan to get in full time even if Higgins is traded.

Kenins has shown that he is a great fit on the 4th line LW. If Kassian can keep up his play and stick with the Sedins it would free up Burrows to slide down to a Burrows-Bonino-Vrbata second line that just might be able to provide a bit more secondary scoring. That replaces Higgins on the 2nd line.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Bonino-Vrbata

Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett

Kenins-Horvat-Vey/McMillan

I would actually prefer to see this and Higgins and Richardson traded:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Bonino-Vrbata

Dorsett-Matthias-Vey

Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

McMillan

That or move Kassian to the 2nd line. If he plays the way he has been then him on either the first or second line will be interesting. Some nice flexibility for WD to have. He can really mix the top 2 lines up with Kassian playing a much more simple game:

Sedins Kass

Burr Bonino Vrbata

Sedins Burr

Kassian Bonino Vrbata

Sedins Vrbata

Burr Bonino Kassian

I like the possibilities.

Just keep praying that the kid keeps it simple. Man his game is effective playing North south.

Biega and Kenins are excellent call ups and Clendening was a great pick up.

I think the guys who have really stepped up their games are Weber and Stanton.

Both of these guys are bubble players when the entire lineup is available, but both have filled in admirably with a significantly increased role.

Stanton especially has been impressive, considering he's been paired with the inexperienced Biega.

I think the guys who have really stepped up their games are Weber and Stanton.

Both of these guys are bubble players when the entire lineup is available, but both have filled in admirably with a significantly increased role.

Stanton especially has been impressive, considering he's been paired with the inexperienced Biega.

I would add sbisa to that list.

I would add sbisa to that list.

To me the improvement in Sbisa's game since about New Years has been pretty remarkable. Through the first two or three months I was among his biggest critics, I just couldn't stand the mental gaffes. Even now we still see this sometimes (yesterday, can't remember when in the game, when he had the puck in front of our net and couldn't decide what to do with it and turned it over) but the other things he's bringing along with the reduction in mental mistakes has been great. Not to mention, I love the physical element he can bring with his big body. Great as it is to see guys like Dorsett hit and play with the energy they do, it's nice to have a big body on the blue line doing it too.

Kenins and Horvat have sparked the team and we on fire now boy.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Kenins and Horvat are huge for this team in that they are the x factors that give this team that little extra boost they need to turn what would be close 1 goal losses, into potential 1 goal wins. They add so much spark whenever they do anything, and you can tell by the way the crowd gets up at home. Those two can't even look at the puck without fans cheering them on.

To me the improvement in Sbisa's game since about New Years has been pretty remarkable. Through the first two or three months I was among his biggest critics, I just couldn't stand the mental gaffes. Even now we still see this sometimes (yesterday, can't remember when in the game, when he had the puck in front of our net and couldn't decide what to do with it and turned it over) but the other things he's bringing along with the reduction in mental mistakes has been great. Not to mention, I love the physical element he can bring with his big body. Great as it is to see guys like Dorsett hit and play with the energy they do, it's nice to have a big body on the blue line doing it too.

I agree. I really think sbisa along with stanton and weber stepping up into big roles has actually been a bigger reason for this storm being weathered than hamhuis has been.

I agree. I really think sbisa along with stanton and weber stepping up into big roles has actually been a bigger reason for this storm being weathered than hamhuis has been.

While I'm not as sold on Weber I agree with the rest. Stanton also provides that tough, physical presence from the back end. Generally he does a good job of playing a simple game and staying within himself too.

Regarding Hamhuis I still think he deserves a large portion of the credit. After all, he's the only remaining vet on the blue line (sbisa does have somewhere over 300 GP tho, a very respectable number at his age) and the man has been playing upwards of 25 minutes per night and usually done a good job all things considered.

While I'm not as sold on Weber I agree with the rest. Stanton also provides that tough, physical presence from the back end. Generally he does a good job of playing a simple game and staying within himself too.

Regarding Hamhuis I still think he deserves a large portion of the credit. After all, he's the only remaining vet on the blue line (sbisa does have somewhere over 300 GP tho, a very respectable number at his age) and the man has been playing upwards of 25 minutes per night and usually done a good job all things considered.

I think weber has actually done a good job with an increased role. He gets a lot of flack on here but has stepped up.

Hamhuis has played more and harder minutes than he usually does but has also been uncharacteristically inconsistent especially defensively. He definitely has helped the situation and deserves credit too. But if sbisa stanton and weber had not stepped up and filled the rest of the minutes adequately it would have been ugly.

I think weber has actually done a good job with an increased role. He gets a lot of flack on here but has stepped up.

Hamhuis has played more and harder minutes than he usually does but has also been uncharacteristically inconsistent especially defensively. He definitely has helped the situation and deserves credit too. But if sbisa stanton and weber had not stepped up and filled the rest of the minutes adequately it would have been ugly.

The Canucks in March, play 2 games each against The Sharks, Blues and Kings as well as 1 against the Ducks and Preds for half of their 16 games. I think Lack will be fine, but those are 8 really big games as far as points in the standings.

What do you think?

Archived