The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis will be a GM in the league again one day.

messier's_elbow

This guy is hated and pitchforked out of town but he is coming out looking a lot better recently. He didnt hire Torts the owners did. He messed up the situation with the goalies but the new cap penalties screwed him. He got Horvat out of the deal though which might end up being his greatest move of all. Matthias and Markstrom arent looking like bad pieces for Lu either. When he wasnt pissing away picks on guys like Derek Roy (pukebaby) he was making decent draft picks and his only real horrible pick was Mallet. Cassels, Gaunce, Corrado and Jensen all look like future NHL players as well. Jurys still out on Shinkaruk but I have faith.

Absolutely random thread.

He traded away 1st rounders, 2nd rounders, and failed at drafting a real stud in the 1st round. I mean come on its the 1st round..

His blunders continue to be drafting Jordan Schroeder and Patrick White (can't fully recall if he did)

His blunders continued with failing to get the Luongo situation solved. I can go on, but yeah I guess your right he will be hired again if a team is desperate?

This guy is hated and pitchforked out of town but he is coming out looking a lot better recently. He didnt hire Torts the owners did. He messed up the situation with the goalies but the new cap penalties screwed him. He got Horvat out of the deal though which might end up being his greatest move of all. Matthias and Markstrom arent looking like bad pieces for Lu either. When he wasnt pissing away picks on guys like Derek Roy (pukebaby) he was making decent draft picks and his only real horrible pick was Mallet. Cassels, Gaunce, Corrado and Jensen all look like future NHL players as well. Jurys still out on Shinkaruk but I have faith.

The way this team is playing and especially the Horvat pick is looking good for him right now.

I could see another team being interested in him.

He traded away 1st rounders, 2nd rounders, and failed at drafting a real stud in the 1st round. I mean come on its the 1st round..

His blunders continue to be drafting Jordan Schroeder and Patrick White (can't fully recall if he did)

His blunders continued with failing to get the Luongo situation solved. I can go on, but yeah I guess your right he will be hired again if a team is desperate?

I am not a Gillis fan.

But Schroeder was the best player available and he did not draft Pat White. He traded that scrub to SJ for Erhoff.

The Penguins of all teams hired Jim Rutherford FFs. There are desperate teams out there who just want someone to pull the levers.

I never hated gillis, he was put in a tough position with a goalie controversy and I think in the future that Horvat trade will be a win for us. I do believe his time was for sure up in vancouver though. He did a really good job finding peices to get us to the final but last season was unacceptable and he knew it. I do hope he gets another chance with a new team.

I would go so far to say GMMG was the best GM this team ever had.

If Hamhuis played in the Boston series and he'd have a ring and would be sitting back enjoying the life.

GMMG + AV was a winning formula. As we've seen over the years, AV wasn't the problem, and hindsight will be with GMMG. Don't think Torts was responsible either.

I would go so far to say GMMG was the best GM this team ever had.

If Hamhuis played in the Boston series and he'd have a ring and would be sitting back enjoying the life.

GMMG + AV was a winning formula. As we've seen over the years, AV wasn't the problem, and hindsight will be with GMMG. Don't think Torts was responsible either.

I would not go that far.

He was handed the keys when the easy work was done. The West coast express was retired and their contracts were gone, the farm was slightly replenished and Loungo was acquired.

AV was a Nonis hire but MG does get credit for keeping him.

Yeah,Gillis made some mistakes no doubt, but as the OP pointed out he did some good.

You're right that trading those draft picks are hurting us now. But at the time he made those deals the Canucks were a contender,and he was trying to put the team over the top. And he almost succeeded. If the Canucks had won game 7 in 2011, they could suck for the next ten years and it wouldn't matter. He would be seen as a hero because he got us the cup.

Some of his decisions are hurting us now,I agree. But overall he did a decent job.

Why make a comment when your post is such a failure? U even admit you dunno wtf u're posting "(can't fully recall if he did)"

Gillis only traded one first rounder away. And who cares if there's no prospect in our system during his tenure? We were a powerhouse and contender. And before he left, he was already refilling our system with Horvat and Shinkaruk.

On the top of my head...

The Bad:

-Drafting

-His last years of trade deadlines where he traded for rentals

-Goalie controversery

-All that NTC

The Good:

-Horvat, Shink, Cassels, Gaunce

-Higgins, Lappy, Ehrhoff for nothing

-Undrafted/College signings ex: Tanev

I think it all depends on whether his so called 'reputation' around the league - a pompous jackass, is true or not. If others don't want to deal with him, he won't get another job.

He did some great things with this team and made it a destination for a while. Then he hired Torts and that all went to hell. He had some good trades and some downright awful trades. I never liked his interviews but have to laugh at the Hodgson ordeal - said he wouldn't talk about it then went on a huge rant about the kid. Too funny. Rookie mistake.

It'll be quite interesting to see if he ends up anywhere.

I don't think Gillis draft record was as bad as people believe it is. He definitely didn't have the best draft record but he wasn't terrible.

Notable Picks in 2008: Cody Hodgson, Yann Sauve and Prab Rai

The Hodgson pick at the time was pretty much a no brainer. Gillis had high praise from most people for picking Hodgson who was projected to be a top line centre in the NHL one day (most people on CDC wanted Kyle Beach or Hodgson so the Hodgson pick was not terrible). In hindsight obviously he couldn't picked Karlsson or someone else but at the time it was a good pick.

I'm not so sure about Sauve (2nd round) and Rai (5th round) but both of them got in car accidents which ruined their careers. That's out of Gillis' control.

Notable Picks in 2009: Jordan Schroeder, Anton Rodin, Kevin Connauton

This was a bad year for sure. Gillis wanted Rodin in the first round but Schroeder fell all the way to 22nd overall so it was a no brainer to pick him. Schroeder was one of the higher ranked players in the pre-draft rankings and most scouts thought that this was a good pick at the time. I think the Canucks development played a part in ruining him by making him learn a defensive game for 4+ years when he was drafted for his offence.

Rodin hasn't turned out the way Gillis expected (good thing we didn't pick him in the first round!) and Connauton was traded in the infamous Derek Roy trade along with a second rounder. He's turning out to be a solid 6/7 d-man who can put up good numbers on the PP. Not bad for a third rounder.

Notable Picks in 2010: Patrick McNally, Alex Friesen

Our earliest pick this year was a 4th round pick because Gillis traded our first rounder away for Ballard. The Canucks were expected to be a contender for the next couple years at the time of the trade and there was no guarantee that we could sign Hamhuis. Gillis wanted to have Ballard as an insurance (in case we lost out on Hamhuis and didn't resign Mitchell). He couldn't have factored in that AV would put Ballard in the doghouse for his years in Vancouver and that Ballard (a previously healthy and durable d-man) would suffer multiple concussions in his time here. The players we could've picked are Quinton Howden, Evgeny Kuznetsov (unlikely because of the Russian factor), Charlie Coyle and Brock Nelson. They'd be nice pieces to add to our prospect pool but we ended up going to the finals that year with Ballard so not too bad of a tradeoff.

Our 4th round pick was McNally and he had good potential before being suspended for a year. He bounced back quite well this year before suffering a season ending surgery. Friesen I'm not too sure about but from the prospects thread on him he seems to be getting more comfortable in the AHL. Ok draft year considering where the players were picked.

Notable Picks in 2011: Nicklas Jensen, Alex Grenier, Frank Corrado

I was not a big fan of picking Jensen at the time but the jury is still out on him. He's shown to have offensive skills but he needs to be more consistent. Grenier was a bad pick at the time. Gillis was straying away from his vision of a speed and skill team by picking a bigger, older and gritter player. It clearly didn't work out. Corrado was a steal in the 5th round.

We had a couple misses with Labate, Tommernes, Blomstrad, etc. From 2011 Gillis got us two potential NHLers (potential top 6 forward/top4 defence). Not too shabby. People have to remember that our first round pick was pretty much a early 2nd round pick because we got to the finals.

Notable Picks in 2012: Brendan Gaunce, Alex Mallet, Ben Hutton

Another late first round pick...Gillis used it on Gaunce who was one of the "most NHL ready players" according to many scouts. MG started to go for bigger bodied players who play a two way game. Gaunce is developing nicely in Utica this year and could turn out to be a fringe second liner centre or a very good third line centre. Not what you'd expect from a first round pick but an integral piece for a team with cup aspirations.

Mallet was not a great pick. I remember a lot of people being unhappy about it (similar to the Grenier pick in 2011). Ben Hutton was another steal in the 5th round. He had a fantastic season last year before slowing down this year. I'm excited to see what he can do. We drafted two other guys in the 6th and 7th round who aren't likely to be NHL players.

Notable Picks in 2013: Bo Horvat, Hunter Shinkaruk, Cole Cassels, Jordan Subban, Anton Cederholm

This was by far Gillis' best draft year. There was a huge debate about whether he got enough for Schneider but that is another story. He got us a gem in Horvat. Stud two-way centre who is getting more and more comfortable in the NHL. He's gonna be a real good player for Vancouver for many years. Bob Mackenzie, Pierre McGuire and many others praised the pick and we've been rewarded so far.

Shinkaruk fell to us at 24th so it was a no brainer to take him. We got the safe pick in Horvat earlier and then we picked up the dynamic forward in Shinkaruk. He's struggling in Utica right now but I think he'll adjust and become an impact player for us in a couple years.

Cassels was a great pick in the 3rd round and he's been a pleasant surprise. One of the leading scorers in the OHL in the last two years and has a gritty side to his game. We might have another second line centre player. Subban was also a steal in the fourth round. He's lighting it up in the OHL and if he has a late growth spurt (like his brothers) he could turn out to be the real deal for us. 2013 was a great draft year for Gillis and helped to replenish our weak prospect pool.

TL;DR: Gillis had one great draft year, three ok ones and one terrible one. It's easy to criticize in hindsight but at the time most of his picks were good. He's definitely a better GM than he gets credit for. I think our development system should be held more accountable for our prospect development as well. I'm glad to see that Travis Green and the Utica Comets seem to be more interested in our player development as opposed to winning.

I think of GMs who have been able to get new jobs, - Burke, Nonins, and feaster come to mind. These guys got jobs through connections and not necessarily resumes. If you look at the Linden, Shanahan or even the Yzerman hirings, they all have connections within the organization to land their gigs. Gillis unfortunately, burned every bridge there is. He sent out a few offer sheets in his early days that got him a bad rep. I don't think we was able to trade with a team outside of Florida following that.

Gillis wasn't as bad as some but his record doesn't exactly shine. He traded away picks for years, lost numerous player trades and overpaid for every free agent that signed here. If we're being straight he walked into a team with the twins just entering their prime, a solid goaltender in Luongo and a strong D core with the likes of Ohlund, Mitchell and Salo. He's not exactly a GM that changed the fate of franchise. Hell he didn't even hire Vigneault, just rode him and eventually hired the disaster that was Torts.

I did like Gillis more than the do nothing Nonis; and when the option was Gillis vs. the in-house Tambellini, I wanted and would still take Gillis.

White was Nonis.

Archived