The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] What should Benning do at the deadline?

Ossi Vaananen

Mr. Benning  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sell, sell, sell.

Matthias, Richardson and Higgins could each get a 2nd and that will go a long way to helping our re-tool/rebuild (Benning could then flip a 2nd for a Vey-esque player).

SELL its one of the deepest drafts accumulating as many 2nd 3rd rounders adds up. There are some potential stud d-men the 2nd 3rd rounds and a lot of good forwards. SELL

Richardson ( 3rd/2nd )

Higgins ( 2nd/5th 2015)

Weber ( 4th 2015 )

Matthais ( Should get a 2nd 2015 and a 3rd 2016 )

I don't understand why people keep throwing Matthais' name in there to trade. He has been one of our best players this year and is currently second on the team in goals scored behind Vrbata. He works his ass off every game, drives hard to the net, creates lots of scoring chances and will only get better.

Matthias is not one of those guys you trade away to keep someone else, he's one of those guys you trade other players to keep.

I'd give Higgins away for nothing if it came to it. The cap room would be it's own reward.

Wow really he has a smoking contract 2.5m for a 40pt guy gimme a break. He pk's well is a great team player and great at winning puck battles. He is a bargain. Due to these factors I think he is a perfect bargaining chip for us and will likely be moved. Due to younger players coming down the pipe. NY NYI NJ AND Philly are likely destinations.

I want to see us make a hockey deal, but I think the most likely scenario is to stay pat. The price is way to high to buy and Benning says he doesn't want to trade away our future. If 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. round picks are on the table, it isn't worth to make a deal to bring in a player of that calibre that would fetch that, won't bring us any closer to a cup.

I still have a feeling that Kassian is going to get dealt in a package to acquire a top six forward.

I want to see us make a hockey deal, but I think the most likely scenario is to stay pat. The price is way to high to buy and Benning says he doesn't want to trade away our future. If 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. round picks are on the table, it isn't worth to make a deal to bring in a player of that calibre that would fetch that, won't bring us any closer to a cup.

I still have a feeling that Kassian is going to get dealt in a package to acquire a top six forward.

I was with you until you dropped the Kassbomb. Why did you have to go do dat? He will not fetch anything worth more than taking the risk that he could find consistency, the trick with him is he plays great pissed off. I volunteer Bieksa to punch him in the face before every game.

I don't understand why people keep throwing Matthais' name in there to trade. He has been one of our best players this year and is currently second on the team in goals scored behind Vrbata. He works his ass off every game, drives hard to the net, creates lots of scoring chances and will only get better.

Matthias is not one of those guys you trade away to keep someone else, he's one of those guys you trade other players to keep.

agreed

Wow really he has a smoking contract 2.5m for a 40pt guy gimme a break. He pk's well is a great team player and great at winning puck battles. He is a bargain. Due to these factors I think he is a perfect bargaining chip for us and will likely be moved. Due to younger players coming down the pipe. NY NYI NJ AND Philly are likely destinations.

Cap space is going to be at a premium this summer. If you want Tanev and Matthias, you need to loosen up some dollars from somewhere. On this current team, his strengths are redundant.

And why are NY, NYI, NJ and Philly 'likely destinations'?

Cap space is going to be at a premium this summer. If you want Tanev and Matthias, you need to loosen up some dollars from somewhere. On this current team, his strengths are redundant.

And why are NY, NYI, NJ and Philly 'likely destinations'?

He probably means teams that Higgins would likely waive to a team in that general area.

I'd do a hockey trade and maybe try to sell a pending UFA to a contender (preferably to the East or Central Division teams). We have enough players to go through this season just to make the playoffs. If I had to choose which player to trade, I'd trade Richardson for a 3rd round pick at the deadline. I'd keep Higgins until the draft and trade him for a 2nd round pick and a grade B prospect if Higgins is a huge playoff performer in this year playoffs. It is a bad idea to trade Higgins now because he has a year left on his contract after this year and I would trade him at the draft instead to increase his stock. Chance of him having a huge playoffs is good because he has been snake-bitten this year and I feel that he will play even harder than he did so far this season.

I would try to trade Weber now if we can for a 3rd round pick to a contender that wants Weber since we have enough defensemen on the roster for the rest of the year. I am happy with Biega's play and feel that he can replace Weber and Bieska will be back soon and Corrado is serviceable defenseman for Weber. I'd try to resign Matthais and let the rest UFA go, either by the trade deadline.

This is my deadline strategy if I were Benning if he is planning to draft more players to stockpiling the farm for the next few years. If he feels that there there is no need to trade for more draft picks then he would not do it if he thinks that he only need 7 picks for this draft.

Now, if he feels that he needs to have more picks then he might try to trade pending UFA for picks now at the deadlines. If he waits until the draft for some trades and feel that there are need for more picks then his chance of having more picks will cost him prospects for picks when he had his chance for this year's deadline with pending UFA. Just my 2 cents.

I would make one more final offer to the three UFA's agents, and if they won't sign, I would try to parcel them up for a first. Might be able to get a first for just Matthias and Dorsett. Richardson might be worth a third.

Really hope we do some serious asset management. I am sick of seeing guys walk every year for nothing, and make other teams better in the process.

Sell! Plan for the future, we aren't contenders this year so unless theres a hockey trade to be made then sell the pending UFA's. Problem is we are in a decent playoff position at the moment so IMO only sell the UFA's that are replaceable in our lineup.

We are definitely not going to be buyers. It will be a good hockey trade or selling hopefully, I think I would be disappointed if we didn't at least make 1 move but having said that I still trust management.

I'd try and move Higgins and Richie, as well as some of the RFA's that might have some value. I'd keep Corrado, Tanev, Kenins and Sbisa (unless someone makes a very good offer) but all of the others would be fair game.

I'd also try and move a goalie...

Agreed. On the Higgins and Richie; should get us a 2nd and 3rd with deals like Jagr and Vermette going around.

Sell! Plan for the future, we aren't contenders this year so unless theres a hockey trade to be made then sell the pending UFA's. Problem is we are in a decent playoff position at the moment so IMO only sell the UFA's that are replaceable in our lineup.

Playoffs or not it's been a good year. I see this team making the playoffs as is though so that's good experience for young guys going forward. Maybe Virtanen gets some time in the Spring.

I don't see many Utica guys coming in cause they are likely to go further towards summer

After reading all these posts, I am so so happy you guys are not the GM!!

I trust JB to do what is best for the good of the team. He is more qualified than any of you armchair GMs and Coaches. Speculating on what he will do is a waste of time on your part. JB has a plan, I'm sure, and your opinions and thoughts count for nothing. Trust JB to get the job done.

angrychild2.gif

Yeah! Who do we think we are? :angry:

Posting opinions on a discussion forum.... <_<

Hope this Discussion doesnt get locked. Gonna type out buncha crap I wanna come back to this Monday, and in the summer to see how Deadline, Draft n UFA went down. Drunk, bored, and cpl hours of free time so enjoy reading a post by a dude with no life

Chris Tanev, Zack Kassian, Hunter Shinkaruk For Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Zack Kassian, Hunter Shinkaruk For Jeff Skinner

Zack Kassian, Nicklas Jensen For Jordan Eberle

Zack Kassian, Ryan Stanton, Cole Cassels For Val Nichushkin, Erik Cole, Cam Gaunce (Brendans bro)

Zack Kassian, Jared McCann For Ryan O'Reilly (Join his brother Cal)

Brendan Gaunce, Ryan Stanton For Artem Anisimov

Zack Kassian, Jordan Subban For James Van Riemsdyk

Chris Higgins For Trevor Van Riemsdyk, 4th Round Pick

Chris Higgins, Nicklas Jensen For Tomas Hertl

Chris Higgins For Christian Dvorak

Zack Kassian, Chris Higgins For Anders Lee, Alan Quine, 3rd Round Pick

Chris Higgins, Brad Richardson, Ryan Stanton, Jordan Subban For Jarred Tinordi, Michael McCarron

*Deals I hope we make

Yannick Weber for 4th Round Pick, plus a 'C' prospect that Benning really likes

Brad Richardson, Yannick Weber for Curtis Glencross

Brad Richardson for a 3rd Round Pick, 5th Round Pick

Alex Biega/Bobby Sanguinetti for a 5th Round Pick, 6th Round Pick

Brendan DeFazio/Dustin Jeffrey for 6th Round Pick

Ryan Stanton for Matt Bartkowski/Craig Cunningham

Ryan Stanton for Mason Geertsen/Stefan Elliot

Ryan Stanton for Landon Ferraro/Marek Tvrdon

*UFA/RFA

Chris Tanev 4yrs 15.5M

Derek Dorsett 2yrs 3.1M

Shawn Matthias 2yrs 5.3M

Ronalds Kenins 2yrs 1.7M

Linden Vey 1yr 1.1M

Zack Kassian 1yr 2.0M

Luca Sbisa 1yr 1.8M

Ryan Stanton 1yr 1.2M

Adam Clendinning 1yr 850K

Jacob Markstrom 1yr 1.1M

Brendan DeFazio, Darren Archibald, Joe Cannata, Cal O'Reilly, Alexandre Grenier, Will Acton

Jordan Subban, Miles Liberati, Nikita Tryamkin, Curtis Valk

*Make non-negotiable offers to

Brad Richardson 1yr 1.65M

Yannick Weber 1yr 750K

Alex Biega 1yr 650k

Bobby Sanguinetti 1yr 600k

UFA's

Top NCAA Free Agent Forward

Matt O'Connor 2yrs 2.4M

Johnny Boychuk 5yrs 27.5M

Chris Stewart 3yrs 11.5M

Mats Zuccarello 3yrs 13.0M

Fredrik Pettersson 1yr 1.0M

Jan Kovar 2yrs 3.5M

Jakub Kovar 2 yrs 1.9M

Dustin Penner 1 yr 550K

Ashton Sautner 3yrs 1.65M

Cole Martin 3yrs 1.65M

Joseph Blandisi 3yrs 1.65M

Alexis Loiseau PTO

Austin Lotz PTO

Anton Rodin/Bill Sweatt PTO

Nick Betz PTO

Rihards Bukarts PTO

Whoever this years Kevin Hayes is

Give Tryouts to a few stud undrafted small guys like Valk , but have heart like Gallagher or Gaudreau

*Draft

Top 60 Picks-Matt Barzal should be our number one target, Timo Mieir, Paul Bittner, Mikko Rantannen (wonder how he's done since WJC), Daniel Sprong, Travis Konecny (can't see him going first round, but also can't see EDM BUF TOR and especially OTT all passing on him early 2nd Round. This years Brendan Lemieux), Brandon Carlo (need to see him play more), Rasmus Andersson (he's a projected 5th Rounder at CS Midterm Rankings, but will become top 60, ex. Hunter Smith), Mitch Vande Sompel, Blake Speers

JB should acquire a bunch of 7th Picks at deadline. If I was a GM i'd always ask team to through in 7th to complete deal. Take a chance Spencer Watson, Ondrej Kase, 100 pts fwds who are 5'7. Could even draft overagers like Hicketts or Goodrow so they dont sign elsewhere

*Later Entry Draft Rounds

The overage Russian voted top WJC Dman

Dmitri Yudin. Liked him much as Provorov. Although Paigan is more JB's style

The 6'7 Dman who plays with Mète on the London blueline

Baltisberger or Seigenthaler. One of em was a stud for Swiss D at WJC. I always get them mixed up

Slovakia Goalie

Dergachyev or whatever AKA Artem Anisimov

Tomas Gradin Swedish Dman Round 5

Greenway I think. USA big Power Forward

Greer or Novak only other ones to stand out for States. Watched U18's n U20's. Draft Eligible Forwards are nothing compared to last years Larkin, Tuch, Milano, Schwartz, etc. Dmen are great tho

Take Debrincat with 7th Round Pick

Giants Dman Osipov. I think he's eligible. Benson gonna be 1st Rounder next year. Ronning is auful. Alec Baer, its there, but no results. Frustrating to watch, like Christian Dvorak last year before injury

The little 100lb Russian the Oilers tried to sneak on their team

Dane Fox's brother

Moynihan brothers. Shocked older one not picked last year. Same with Aho and that Finnish Goalie

Take chance on Matt Spencer (situation reminds me of Yann Sauve's fall from AAA stardom).

Drafting late bloomers like Perron Drouin Sanheim (Future Superstar) Perlini etc. gets better results then going after the Angelo Esposito fall down types. Now I see why Kessel was ranked 1 then ended up going like 6th or 7th. No drive , No work ethic. Modern day Kovalev. Coulda been one of the best. Has all the god given talent, but things would be different if he was playing under guys like Babcock or Sutter, who get the most outta there players

Archived