The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How the Flames mishandled Sven Baertschi - from a Calgary pov

TheRussianRocket.

Naslund was a pure sniper, plays to the top of the circle and turns to snipe mode.

Iginla is a pure athletic beast with a great shot, almost power forward like but not quite.

Ovie is a deadly goal scorer, fierce but he plays in a high-octane straight line with one of the best shots in the league

Sven Bärtschi is more of a skilled playmaker that has a good shot to follow it up. He's got a bit of a bite to him. I can't really think of a comparable NHL player that he compares to but I don't think it's the 3 mentioned above.

Maybe Hossa is a good comparable ? A puck-possession beast, can score but is more proficient at making space on the ice and dishing the puck. There is a definite size difference but like Hossa, Sven is touted to have excellent defensive traits.

now that he has had a change of scenery, I hope he can have a great off season training and come to camp strong.

Guys like him and Vey will always have the skill to succeed in the NHL- they just take more time developing the strength/conditioning to battle with everyday NHL'rs. We just have to be patient and let the kid realize his potential!

Is anyone remotely surprised this comes under the rule of Burke and Hartley? Two self-proclaimed hardass, hockey men who in my opinion allow their egos to be bigger than the team or the human beings we call players.

Welcome to Vancouver Sven! Good luck and I hope you get a legitimate shot here. Don't look into the Kassian situation or look at the Jensen's trapped in the AHL or you might see a story somewhat similar to your own.

IS the OP sayin' that in re-habilitating Baretschi, this franchise could say screw you to Burkie for all the ways he's betrayed and thwarted our 'Nucks in recent years? Burke is one of the NHL's chief-champions of "truculence" and not punishing-it, especially when his team or a team who has previously paid him to be their advisor is involved.

If Sven can eventually laud an "I-told-ya-so" over the people who continued to assess him harshly and stifled his development there,..than I say, hell-ya, welcome that kid aboard!

This will be more fuel for the re-emerging VAN/CGY rivalry. I would love nothin' better than to see one of the NHL's chief power-mongers, Brian Burke, and his entitled crew in CGY (ie: check-out the DPS judgements)...take a slap back!

The title could easily be: How the Canucks mishandled ______. ie fill blank w/ Grabner, Shirokov, Sweatt, Rodin, Schroeder, Connauton, etc.....

Or any other team. It happens all the time. It's prioritizing not just mishandling.

Having said that, it's CGY so I hope this bites them. Who gave up on Martin St. Louis again?

The title could easily be: How the Canucks mishandled ______. ie fill blank w/ Grabner, Shirokov, Sweatt, Rodin, Schroeder, Connauton, etc.....

Or any other team. It happens all the time. It's prioritizing not just mishandling.

Having said that, it's CGY so I hope this bites them. Who gave up on Martin St. Louis again?

Grabner developed fine. Just a really dumb trade by a GM. None of the mentioned are as highly touted as SB

Naslund was a pure sniper, plays to the top of the circle and turns to snipe mode.

Iginla is a pure athletic beast with a great shot, almost power forward like but not quite.

Ovie is a deadly goal scorer, fierce but he plays in a high-octane straight line with one of the best shots in the league

Sven Bärtschi is more of a skilled playmaker that has a good shot to follow it up. He's got a bit of a bite to him. I can't really think of a comparable NHL player that he compares to but I don't think it's the 3 mentioned above.

Maybe Hossa is a good comparable ? A puck-possession beast, can score but is more proficient at making space on the ice and dishing the puck. There is a definite size difference but like Hossa, Sven is touted to have excellent defensive traits.

he is a more talented version of Zack Parise I think ..

Jordan Schroeder 7 points +9 16 gp this year. Thank you Torts for benching him when we were out of playoff contention and keeping Hansen in the top 6.

Of course im being sarcastic.

Haha Torts is the worst.

We could've had ample opportunity to see how Gaunce / Jensen / Schroeder / Kassian and more importantly Markstrom could've done!

Sigh glad he is gone. At least he was the catalyst of Linden and Benning so maybe he does get credit of turning the organization around :P

http://flamesnation.ca/2015/3/3/when-did-the-flames-go-wrong-with-sven-baertschi

Well there you have it from a Flames point of view.

Flames organization completely mishandled Baertschi right from the get go. They were impatient and wanted to rush him into a star based soley where they drafted him. Sven gets called up, scores 3 goals in 5 games and that's where they should've sent him back down. Instead they don't, jumped on his high which was a completely unsustainable pace at shot themselves in the foot in doing so.

Good thing for Sven he can turn it around here. Knows Travis Green from being coached by him in his junior years in Portland. Flames ruined the gem they had in Baertschi and we can possibly refurbish his development and turn his career around.

Very well written...thank you

I say leave him in the AHL for the rest of the season unless we lose a top-6 forward. We've got far too much depth at wing to need to call him up. Only really needs to play an NHL game this season if say Vbrata and Daniel get injured at the same time (heaven forbid).

At the start of next season I expect him to push hard for a roster spot. He'll be competing with guys who are well behind him developmental-wise and skill-wise, so it'll come down to how hard he works. IMO here's our depth chart now for wingers going into next year:

Daniel Sedin

Vbrata

Higgins

Burrows

Vey

Hansen

Kassian

Baertschi

Jensen

Shinkaruk

Virtanen

I really want to see Vey and Kassian in particular push those veterans hard for top-6 minutes, but hopefully Baertschi will be physically and defensively mature enough to play in our bottom-6 for the time being next season. He'll be competing with Jensen, Shinkaruk and Virtanen directly.

Guest Dasein

Hossa is a physical beast like Ovie

Guest Dasein

Ask Hansen how physical he is, guy dropped like a bag of crap by a pat on the head. Ovie is 10 times the physical beast Hossa is or has been.

Hossa is still one of the strongest on skates

Hansen does not even come close to Hossa in terms of strength or speed

Take a run at a player like 10 times and maybe you catch him once or twice

Hossa is still one of the strongest on skates

Hansen does not even come close to Hossa in terms of strength or speed

Take a run at a player like 10 times and maybe you catch him once or twice

So Hansen and Torres must account for the two then hey?

Anyway. I'm glad we have SB. Hopefully he will be the next great player that the Flamers gave up on too early.

Guest Dasein

So Hansen and Torres must account for the two then hey?

Anyway. I'm glad we have SB. Hopefully he will be the next great player that the Flamers gave up on too early.

You found two hits in a 17-year NHL career and counting?

Good for you

Did not know Baertschi was demoted to the AHL for his lifestyle antics and refusal to recognise his position as a professional.

This is nothing like the Kassian situation. Kassian has had hundreds of games and multiple years to develop here and has had issues. Baertschi suffered under the 'truculence' factor of one Brian Burke.

Our gain.

"Management pissed away an asset because they couldn't control themselves and then overcompensated by publicly dragging the kid."

Hodgson and Dufus Gillis written all over it.

I think Cody "Pressbox" Hodgson is the last player we want to compare to Baertschi

I don't think anyone is surprised by anything Burke does. I recall him giving away Umberger for a rental because he wouldn't sign for less then other prospects of equivalent value.

I am worried Sven won't have the ability to transition to the NHL, where you do need to be brave and go to the net. But I think a second round pick for a 13th overall pick with some damage, is a decent gamble.

Archived