The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] next seasons roster

Potential lineup we can expect to see next year. Focus on signing FA dmen/trading for them as our forward group is real solid as is for the most part.

1st line: Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

2nd line: Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata

3rd line: Kenins - Horvat - Hansen/Higgins

4th line: Burrows - Matthias - Jensen/Virtanen/FA

Extra: Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Sbisa - Clendening

Stanton/Corrado/Biega

Miller

Lack/Markstrom

Higgins/Hansen - trade one of the two for a 2nd round pick and more if you can.

Vey - as much as I like him, doesn't really a place in the lineup where he fits.

Richardson - walks as an FA.

Lack/Markstrom - traded for picks.

..What do you guys think? Pretty much we should expect to see a similar lineup as this years. More so just moving out pieces which don't for here any more and making room for younger guys. Would like to maybe trade for or sign a solid bottom pair dman but even if we don't, love the depth which has proven itself this year.

If Baertschi gets his game together in Utica and shows in the offseason he's working hard, then 2nd line LW is where to slot him. He's a highly skilled player, very dynamic, and those types of guys you just have to slot where they're given a chance to do their thing. Bottom 6 won't really fit his mould at all and he's a guy that lives and dies by his confidence. Best to put him there and see what he can do. And for the rest, solid 4 line team. Kass with the Twins, have Vrbata and Burrows to alternate if need be.

Baertschi Bonino Vrbata seems too soft

I agree. I think Virtanen is the type of a player who could thrive playing in a NHL top 6 role in his rookie season. He could bring lots of grit/toughness/skill to that line, and I would totally be all for seeing him there.

On the other hand, every prospect has to earn their spot, and I'd rather have Virt be developed properly than being rushed into the system.

Just my $0.02

I dont see Baertschi jumping straight to the 2nd line right away next year, i hope im wrong and he works hard in the off season and has a great training camp! Personally id like Virtanen with Bonino and Vrbata like SwedeHockey said above, i thought this was a great trade getting Baertschi hopefully he can help our top 9 next season!

How about someone like Jensen? I believe he's waiver eligible next year.

EDIT: I'd juste come back to this thread after doing some research yesterday on our players starting waivers next year. Looks like Jensen (along with Grenier and Kenins) are still exempt.

I could see Matthias walk and cash in on Free-agency. In that case, hope we re-sign Richardson, I think everyone on CDC forgot how good he was. Dorsett has played like a boss, don't see him being an extra.

Don't be surprised if this ends up being the line-up, and Kenins might fall back down to earth and Virtanen takes his spot

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Kassian

Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata

Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

Burrows-Richardson-Dorsett

Vey

Hopefully a top 3 d-man is signed.

I could see Matthias walk and cash in on Free-agency. In that case, hope we re-sign Richardson, I think everyone on CDC forgot how good he was. Dorsett has played like a boss, don't see him being an extra.

Don't be surprised if this ends up being the line-up, and Kenins might fall back down to earth and Virtanen takes his spot

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Kassian

Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata

Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

Vey

No Sven or Jensen? They're both waiver eligible.

How about someone like Jensen? I believe he's waiver eligible next year.

True, he could fight for that spot as well. I completely forgot about him. Jensen/Virtanen/FA could possibly be in for that 4th line spot.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Kassian

Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata

Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

Vey

Agree Matthias could go for the big bucks. If so, then by all means retain Richardson, he's done nothing but do his job to the tee.

As for that lineup, I really doubt it remains the same as this years. JB has said a number of times he wants to implement youth season by season so just taking that into consideration we should see 1 or 2 new faces.

Good for the most part i would change a few things

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Virtanen Bonino Vrbata

Hansen Horvat Baertschi

Kenins Matthias Dorsett

Gaunce

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Bieksa

Corrado Clendenning

Biega

Trade-Higgens, Vey, Burrows, Stanton Sbisa

Time to add youth into the line up Higgins will be good for a top team in the east that needs depth, Burrows getting older and productions is way down for the $ he is paid. Vey may be used to sweeten a deal aswell as the rights to Stanton and Sbisa

Walk-Richardson

Goalie situation could become a problem again if the Nucks do sign UFA Matt O'conner, he possibly could back up Miller next leaving us to trade both Lack and Markstrom for more assets while Demko still Develops, and 1-2 punch of Demko and O'conner sounds good for the future

If a trade arises for a top 4 Dman and/or top 6 forward I think the deal should be made, aswell as next trade deadline looking to cash in on Vrbata and Bieksa both are high paid UFA after next year and we could retain 1st RD picks if next years deadline is anything like this one

At the Draft depending where we pick i would try to move up and select one of Matt Barzal or Lawson Crouse

All in all Vancouver is at a better spot heading into the next season then years prior, no pressure to make a massive trade, no goalie drama lingering around, Management have set them selfs up nicely for the off-season

lol @ Kassian on the first line.

Benning tried his best to trade Kassian but couldn't find any takers. I highly doubt Kassian is on the 1st line next year. I even doubt he's a Canuck next year.

Just like you guaranteed he would be gone by trade deadline? And yea, JB sure was panicking trying his best to get Zack out :lol:

True, he could fight for that spot as well. I completely forgot about him. Jensen/Virtanen/FA could possibly be in for that 4th line spot.

Agree Matthias could go for the big bucks. If so, then by all means retain Richardson, he's done nothing but do his job to the tee.

As for that lineup, I really doubt it remains the same as this years. JB has said a number of times he wants to implement youth season by season so just taking that into consideration we should see 1 or 2 new faces.

True, but if prospects aren't ready for it though then they shouldn't get a spot, which is why keeping guys like Higgins could be important. Trade em' after maybe?

I think maybe something like this:

1a) Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
1b) Matthias - Bonino - Kassian
3) Baertschi - Horvat - Burrows
4) Kenins - Richardson - Dorsett/ Vey

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Corrado
Sbisa - Weber
Bieksa

See how Baertschi performs, and if he's fit for the NHL, ship off Higgins.

Matthias is the 2nd best center on the team right now and Horvat is 3rd best.

Matthias should be centering the 2nd line, he is the power center this team needs to compete in the Pacific

Give him an opportunity at 2nd line center and he may go easy on his contract negotiations.

1) Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

2) Bone - Matthias - Vrbata

3) Baertschi - Horvat - Burrows

4) Kenins - Richardson - Dorsett

In my opinion, Bonino has been an underachieving FO man. He needs work on that, or else he should be moved to the wing. If that is the case, I only see Bonino or Higgins, only one staying. Both "so called" snipers, and defensively responsible. One important thing Canucks need is a RH Center who can win faceoffs(Brodziak 48.9% would be 2nd on Canucks).

Sign Matthias(Brodziak will be a nice replacement) and Richardson to play their PK roles. Also I don't believe Dorsett will resign as a lot of teams want him, and Canucks have Kenins if he keeps his high energy. They need some more size and grit and skating ability...an upgrade of Dorsett would be a bigger body. I would also like the Canucks to pursue Cody Franson. He is an OFD and can bring size to the Canucks. That only depends on how much Tanev will make next season, with his production I assume he will take $3.5 mil. The Canucks need that RHD who can produce, as it won't be Tanev or Bieksa. I feel like Sbisa should come back. Yeah he is on and off, but I felt that the management brought him in to work with him, rejuvenate him. After this season, he should fit in well and be more comfortable in the Canucks system. He is also a guy with size and skating ability. As for the young guns, I don't want Virtanen up this early. He has shown brilliance and size, but this season he started late after surgery, and has been producing just above a point/game. I think he can do one more year in junior, and make sure he sets his mark there, leaving nothing behind. Get strong in the 2016 off season, and in 2016/2017 become Canucks top Winger. Right now I see Jensen and Gaunce available to be shopped. Cassels is turning up as a player like Gaunce, so they may be fighting for one spot. With the Baertschi deal, the pressure is now on Shinkaruk and Jensen to perform, if they don't, they will be shopped. Jared McCann will be coming in 2016/2017. Mark him as 3rd line C.

Markstrom - Tender QO or $1 mil/2 year (After yesterday, he knows where he is at in his career. He is adapting to Rollie and Cloutier, may stay for little)
Baertschi - $900,000-$1 mil/2 years (Considering how he ends the year)
Conacher - $600,000-$700,000/1 year (Depending on his play as well)
Clendening - Tender QO(In my opinion he should start in AHL before waivers kick in.)
Corrado - $750,000/2 years
Tanev - $3.5 mil/3-5 years
Sbisa - $2-2.25 mil/2 years (If he likes it here(fiance), he will agree to lower salary. He is progressing in Vancouver)

Franson - $4.5-5.2 mil/4 years (BC Kid, Top 4 D, with his Offence, you don't need Weber for just offence, and can have all-around defence)
Matthias/Brodziak - $3.25 mil/3 years

Richardson - $1.2 mil/2 years

Vey - Tender QO

Thoughts on Winnik or Jokinen?

Line Up:

Based on no trades

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Bonino-Matthias-Vrbata

Kenins-Horvat-Hansen
Higgins-Richardson-Burrows

Baertschi, Conacher

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Sbisa-Franson

Corrado, Clendening

I'm expecting some wingers to get moved. Their group of wingers are more crowded than the streets in big Asian cities during rush hour. I'm expecting a package of winger(s) to get moved for center and puck-moving D-man depth.

Top-6 winger locks: Danny, Vrbata, Burrows*
Candidates: Baertschi, Kassian, Higgins, Matthias, Jensen? Vey? Virtanen?!

Archived