The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prospect for Prospect (Discussion)

I love Jared McCann as a player, he looks to have high potential and possibly 1st line potential. But I am wondering if there would be a benefit for Benning to trade McCann.

I wonder if Benning could trade McCann for a defensive prospect such as Theodore or another defensive prospect with equal value.

I am not suggesting a trade, but am wondering what other people think. It seems to me that it might be easier going into the draft knowing that it doesn't matter what player comes to us, as long as it is the BPA......it is more a question, than anything.

I would not see this as a overpayment by us, and am just wanting to explore the idea........

Suggestions????

John and Slap shot, I know, I am just wondering if we could equal value for a defensive prospect.....who would it be? Suggestions?

Yes, I love him too.......but who equals him as a defensive prospect?

If you ask the boards it's Ekblad. If you use common sense you're probably close.

John and Slap shot, I know, I am just wondering if we could equal value for a defensive prospect.....who would it be? Suggestions?

Yes, I love him too.......but who equals him as a defensive prospect?

I'd rather see the equivalent of a 2nd-for-Baertschi kind of deal pulled off if we're getting a stud offensive D-man. As teams like Detroit show, overripe players are often overlooked but they could be had if some hotshot prospect overtakes them in the depth chart (e.g. Gaudreau ahead of Sven). That's not to say they're not a good player; rather, it's a bargain since the sheen and hype have diminished but we'd get a solid, developed player at a bargain.

No to moving McCann though, I'd agree that he looks solid and has intriguing potential.

It depends. I think McCann can be a 1C for us or a good 2C. If we trade up in the draft and grab a C with more potential like Barzal, I would consider trading him for a player of Theodore's calibre

I would suggest you temper your expectations.

I don't know, there has been some talk around that he has outside potential to be a #1 center, but most will concede that he is more likely to develop into a solid #2 type center.....I am good with that.

I guess my ultimate goal was just to see what defensive prospects you all might see as equal value to McCann...personally I would hate to see him go, but it would depend on the prospect coming back......I just don't know who would be considered somewhat equal to him in value...that is why I said discussion in my post title..

Just looking to see what you think would be equals

Basically we need an elite center to replace Henrik Sedin in the future, and ideally an elite top-2 defenceman to replace Hamhuis and eventually Edler who's also getting pretty old. We're sorted on the right side defensively for the future (Tanev, Corrado, Clendening, Subban all quite young) but on the left side we have Edler and Hamhuis who are ageing slowly, Sbisa and Stanton who are farfrom "elite".

The way I see it, Horvat will be a good first line center on most teams in the future, but on a deep Cup contending team he's a 2nd line center - similar to Getzlaf-Kesler or Henrik-Kesler down the middle. He has potential to score 70 points in a season, but on a big time Cup contending team you need to have an 80-100 point center in front of him.

That's why I think we still need that top flight center, and I don't think it's Jared McCann. I don't see him scoring 80+ points in an NHL season yet, I feel like he'll be more of a 60-70 point performer at best, but still a very good prospect.

Therefore the only reason I think we should trade McCann is if we're going to get an elite center or an elite defenceman, either in the draft or a prospect straight up.

For example:

TO BOS: McCann (+ Stanton, because McCann isn't as established as Morrow)

TO VAN: Joe Morrow

TO PIT: McCann (+ Sbisa + 3rd)

TO VAN: Poulliot

Suddenly we have some comparable defensive depth.

The other option would be to "trade up" with McCann, for example in the draft to snag a top-10 pick and draft a guy like Strome, Marner, Zacha or Barzal. Our 1st round pick (17ish overall) + McCann + current roster player like Higgins, Stanton, Hansen etc. should do it to move up 7 or 8 places.

Not a fan of trading McCann.

I think the Flyers or Devils would be good trading partners, as they both have a lot of good young D, and may be willing to trade one of them for a forward or even just a draft pick.

Basically we need an elite center to replace Henrik Sedin in the future, and ideally an elite top-2 defenceman to replace Hamhuis and eventually Edler who's also getting pretty old. We're sorted on the right side defensively for the future (Tanev, Corrado, Clendening, Subban all quite young) but on the left side we have Edler and Hamhuis who are ageing slowly, Sbisa and Stanton who are farfrom "elite".

The way I see it, Horvat will be a good first line center on most teams in the future, but on a deep Cup contending team he's a 2nd line center - similar to Getzlaf-Kesler or Henrik-Kesler down the middle. He has potential to score 70 points in a season, but on a big time Cup contending team you need to have an 80-100 point center in front of him.

That's why I think we still need that top flight center, and I don't think it's Jared McCann. I don't see him scoring 80+ points in an NHL season yet, I feel like he'll be more of a 60-70 point performer at best, but still a very good prospect.

Therefore the only reason I think we should trade McCann is if we're going to get an elite center or an elite defenceman, either in the draft or a prospect straight up.

For example:

TO BOS: McCann (+ Stanton, because McCann isn't as established as Morrow)

TO VAN: Joe Morrow

TO PIT: McCann (+ Sbisa + 3rd)

TO VAN: Poulliot

Suddenly we have some comparable defensive depth.

The other option would be to "trade up" with McCann, for example in the draft to snag a top-10 pick and draft a guy like Strome, Marner, Zacha or Barzal. Our 1st round pick (17ish overall) + McCann + current roster player like Higgins, Stanton, Hansen etc. should do it to move up 7 or 8 places.

McCann for Morrow is terrible for the Canucks. Pittsburgh would never do the Pouliot one.

So you think his floor is a 2c and his ceiling is a 1c with a high chance of reaching his ceiling?

Again... temper your expectations.

He never said Canner has a high chance of reaching his ceiling. Why don't you share us your insight on why McCann doesn't have the ability to be a first line center instead of throwing around that "temper your expectations" crap,. Quit the wise guy act. Show us that you're not a sad troll lurking these boards and contribute to the discussion.That's what forums are meant for (although not everything is discussion worthy)

McCann becoming a #1 center is an absolutely massive longshot. There's a chance it could happen, but it is so unlikely that there is no point in even discussing it. He would need to show HUGE progression in every part of his game, and his development would have to go 100%perfectly.

If McCann makes the Canucks next year as a 19 year old, and scores 40 points while being dependable all-around, (so basically, perform at a higher level than Horvat), then I will be ready to say he has a reasonable chance of becoming a #1 center.

McCann becoming a #1 center is an absolutely massive longshot. There's a chance it could happen, but it is so unlikely that there is no point in even discussing it. He would need to show HUGE progression in every part of his game, and his development would have to go 100%perfectly.

If McCann makes the Canucks next year as a 19 year old, and scores 40 points while being dependable all-around, (so basically, perform at a higher level than Horvat), then I will be ready to say he has a reasonable chance of becoming a #1 center.

While I can appreciate your realism as compared to some others on these boards but c'mon man, lighten the f*ck up. IMO a #1 center can be a fairly subjective term anyway. It could be argued that Toews isn't a #1 due to a lack of elite offensive skills but I'd be happier than a pig in sh*t to have him on our top line, same can be said for Bergeron. Maybe some older posters can correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Datsyuk put up 35 pts in his rookie year while playing fairly average to below average away from the puck? My memory of his rookie year isn't the best considering I was still breast feeding and taking constant flak for it at middle school.

What I'm getting at is it's unfair to pigeonhole Jared with a projection like that after one season as a teenager. Plenty of players end up being better rounded players than expected or excelling in areas that weren't originally part of their games.

Archived