The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Leafs @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

bunch of fricken whiners in here. kassian and dorsett are the only players that show heart on the ice. they are our enforcers, and if you guys are gonna whine about an enforcer doing his job. then go cheer for the bolts, or the penguins. kassian going after faneuf is what kassian does. i guess you guys are ok with other players crashing our goalies and crosschecking our superstars. get a fricken life. if ya don't like kassian..to bad. he's goonna be here awhile.

Other than the 1st period, pretty poor performance by the Canucks which has really repeat itself over the last 5 games. Lack stole points vs SJ, Ana, Az. The canucks probs deserved the 2 points tonight, but they in no way looked like a superior team to the Laughs.

Bieksa with a rough 1st game back. he gets a bye, but some of those no look turnovers were just brutal. This Dcore really needs become apart of "change is coming". Really love Bieksa the guy, but hes almost worked his way outside the top 6. Sbisa has horrible hands, but is by far our most impactful in the physicality department, and therefore has a place in the top 6 imo. His value will multiply in a playoff series.

Hamhuis is well overrated by easten media. I doubt he'd ever waive his NTC, but you could probably score a sweet ars return for him. He's been really inconsistent and other than Tanev, is part of a turnover machine that makes up our blueline.

I find that even when getting zone time that we have forwards that cycle and control quite well, but when the puck comes to the point, the play generally ends as they often just dump pucks back down the boards for 50/50 plays. We seriously need some playmakers back there. Even just 1 would significantly increase our scoring chances for, which in turn should result in more goals.

This all sounds very sensible but here's what I've learned...it doesn't have to be pretty. At the end of it all, everything goes out the window except the W-L/points. That's it.

So if they grind out ugly wins, we win. I don't look to the future and it's one game at a time...ANYTHING can happen and so just getting there matters. You win one game, then another.

They aren't powerhouses, barreling through with convincing wins but I don't know that we expected that. So they're doing what I hoped they would...battling for it. I'd rather take it on a game by game basis and celebrate the wins vs projecting future losses. That's no fun and defeats the purpose for me.

bunch of fricken whiners in here. kassian and dorsett are the only players that show heart on the ice. they are our enforcers, and if you guys are gonna whine about an enforcer doing his job. then go cheer for the bolts, or the penguins. kassian going after faneuf is what kassian does. i guess you guys are ok with other players crashing our goalies and crosschecking our superstars. get a fricken life. if ya don't like kassian..to bad. he's goonna be here awhile.

Exactly.

Wasn't it just a year or two ago we were slamming the team for NOT doing this? For allowing others to manhandle and jab away at us? Kass doesn't. Dorsett's answered every call. So I, for one, am thrilled with the message they bring. Which is "I WILL fight back". We need that.

I agree. What's with the attitude that promotes us to win meekly without waking up the other team? How about we beat them up physically as well as on the scoreboard to let them know who is boss. That's actually even more demoralizing and psychologically damaging to the opposition as they are literally left with no moral victories.

I don't think a team that has to tip toe around other teams in fear of "waking then up" deserve the cup.

But, but Kassian poked the....the Leaf lol.

Those things lying on the ground every fall.

Huge risk he took there - that the leaves might rise lol.

CBC and their parrots having difficulty getting real - looking for any sad excuse for an angle they can come up with.

No one is or ought to be afraid to 'wake' the Leafs.

They are a joke.

Aside from flat out running into each other repeatedly, there are just so many easy examples of horrible excuses for hockey.

I mean, watch the Dorsett goal and keep your eye on the Kessel "backcheck" lol. So fundamentally wrong on so many levels. Lazy, poor conditioning, stays on the ice too long trying to cherry pick every offensive opportunity. Or one of their other golden boys - Gardiner - I mean watch this guy "defend" and a nutshell emerges, exemplifying why the Leafs are such a horrible hockey team.

Just some sad Leafs fans attempting to troll by parroting CBC trolls.

If there ever was a joke, it's the idea that waking the Leafs is a risk lol. The idea that that incident might be suspension worthy is also laughable. Zack has been intimidating Phaneuf every time they face each other and should continue to go about his business.

Sorry, actually, there was a bigger joke - one that Healey (appropriate source) rehashed last night when he foot-in-mouthed over the Leafs short stint as "Canada's best team". Only the biggest morons in the business bit into that pipe dream.

Just some sad Leafs fans attempting to troll by parroting a CBC troll who had no other angles to work last night and came up with that fail. If there ever was a joke, it's the idea that waking the Leafs is a risk lol. The idea that that incident might be suspension worthy is also laughable. Zack has been intimidating Phaneuf every time they face each other and should continue to go about his business.

Sorry, actually, there was a bigger joke - one that Healey (appropriate source) rehashed last night when he foot-in-mouthed over the Leafs short stint as "Canada's best team". Only the biggest morons in the business bit into that pipe dream.

Yep ... it's a good thing Healy can play the pipes or he would be a complete waste of Celtic DNA!

It's idealist to think that women don't have to be used as a metaphor for weak and cowardly?

Tell me more.

I think what I meant was chill out.

Or do you like going around making mountains out of mole hills?

It's not Debs or my fault you take things like that as a personal insult. No ones demeaning women here.. Men and women, one is not better than the other, but you wouldn't see most women working the drill on an oil rig would you? Just like you wouldn't see a man doing anything intelligent, lol.. The difference here is some people can look at things like that with a little grain of salt and some have a desire to make every little non politically correct statement into their own personal endevour... Thank you for saving all women, the sexism in here was rampant...

Yes, this was hilarious. It was also an excellent example of how much faster his mouth works in relation to his brain. It was like his mouth just f*cked off and his brain had no idea where it went. And when his brain finally located and caught up to it, it was too exhausted to do any sort of damage control. Healy in a nut shell, no doubt.

So, as a result of Kassian's "selfish" acts, did we lost either of those games?

Kassian said he didn't know there was a Maroon was going off for 2 minute minor. Not to mention that Maroon was seen, attempting to engage Dorsett into a fight. What Kassian did was not selfish but showed that he is willing to drop the gloves for his teammates.

And Kassian going after Phaneuf? I think the penalties cancelled out, no? When one player shows such emotion, the team also gets fired up. This is called team toughness. We need more of that when we play teams like Anaheim, LA, and etc.

No we didn't lost either of those games. But that doesn't say much to my point. It could have sparked the Leafs, the Canucks could have scored on the Maroon penalty.

Interesting that he says he didn't know. That changes how I feel about it.

Kassian was trash talking Maroon in the pregame warm up, and supposedly been trying to fight him for 3 games. My ass he did it because he challenged Dorsett. Do we even know that Dorsett wasn't the one challenging Maroon? Doesn't matter anyways. And to be clear I have no problem with players sticking up for each other. I am heavily in favour of it.

Energizing your team should be done strategically. Against teams we need, as you say, like LA and Anaheim. Not against Toronto when you are up 3-0, when you will never play these teams again.

Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but I have got to get one thing off my chest.

FFS Simpson, can't you say something other than 'a heads up play' for EVERY PLAY. Jesus Christ someone buy this guy a book of sports phrases.. He is intolerable.

So embarrassing watching a CBC broadcast.. These guys are absolutely brutal

(Edit: minus hughson)

Really Deb? There's better ways to describe cowardly players than demeaning your own gender.

The only place I know of that Kassian has women clawing at him is the Roxy.

It's a figure of speech. Kill two birds with two stones? I don't kill birds, but I use that too. Beat a dead horse? Nope, haven't done that but have said it. I'm strong enough as a woman to not get concerned over someone using some words. It was a joke and I'm woman enough to laugh rather than cry over something someone said on a hockey forum. Man up? So can we say that?

Got any actual thoughts on the game?

Energizing your team should be done strategically. Against teams we need, as you say, like LA and Anaheim. Not against Toronto when you are up 3-0, when you will never play these teams again.

Once again, I disagree.

Up 3-0 is an ideal time to send a message. It's not that we care if TO gets it, but all teams watch film and IMHO, it's good that teams like Calgary, LA, San Jose and Anaheim see that the Canucks are not going to just roll over when things get nasty.

I

I'm going to disagree with your attempt at educating the rest of us on hockey dos and don'ts.

IMO, when you have a three goal lead is about the best time to send a message to the league that the Canucks will no longer be an "easy" team to play against, where you can take runs at the twins, or push our guys around in scrums with impunity.

Would you have been happier had he done so in a one-goal game?

The only message Kassian sent to league was that he is a hot head and that can be taken advantage of. Maybe they already knew that tho, idk. He also sent a message to the refs and the discipline department that he doesn't respect them. Again, the way Kassian treats the refs he was already on their bad side. Probably that doesn't matter though, NHL refs seem to stay unbiased. Except for Auger. And actually sometimes it seems freaking out on refs gets you calls.

Top Western teams are hard to intimidate. Watching TO vs VAN highlights on sportsnet isn't going to scare them.

I would be happy to see team toughness in a one goal game. Unless Doughty, Kopitar, Carter, or Quick are heading off the ice with Kassian I will be disappointed to see Kassian ejected. In that case I'd probably be disappointed in Kassian. But I know he has that in him and I expect it. I'm a fan of the Canucks before a person of integrity.

Once again, I disagree.

Up 3-0 is an ideal time to send a message. It's not that we care if TO gets it, but all teams watch film and IMHO, it's good that teams like Calgary, LA, San Jose and Anaheim see that the Canucks are not going to just roll over when things get nasty.

As I said above. Those teams don't give a crap about Kassian trying to fight Phaneuf or whatever. They could care less. To show that they won't role over when things get nasty you have to show them in game against them when things get nasty.
Kassian pushed a ???? ref. He cannot do that again, EVER. It is not beneficial to your team to get yourself kicked out of the game. Give me a break.
Every team in the league avoids energizing your their opponent when they have a three goal lead. Playoffs can be different but in the regular season this is classic lead defending strategy. Every team does it. LA has one two cups in three years and this year I remember Sutter benching Nolan for getting feisty.

Dude come on. Kassian is probably going to get suspended for what he did. He had plenty of reason to be angry but what hurt the team. He will be out and engaging with the opposing team while you have a big lead is a huge no no. That is defending big leads 101. He should never push a ref because that is grounds for a suspension but turning that aggression against the opposing team when you are down or in a close playoff series is fine. I never said you can't do that while you are down, of course you can.

Blatant sexism. Not that I really care though. Just pointing it out because it is funny to see someone be sexist towards their own gender.

Kassian clearly needs to settle down. Accepting the Maroon's invitation against the Ducks was totally selfish. Pushing a ref to get at Phanuef or Lupul or whoever? Come on. That doesn't benefit the team.

Tip toe. Tip toe.

The only message Kassian sent to league was that he is a hot head and that can be taken advantage of. Maybe they already knew that tho, idk. He also sent a message to the refs and the discipline department that he doesn't respect them. Again, the way Kassian treats the refs he was already on their bad side. Probably that doesn't matter though, NHL refs seem to stay unbiased. Except for Auger. And actually sometimes it seems freaking out on refs gets you calls.

The way the refs were acting, they don't deserve respect. The message that they aren't respected needs to be driven home repeatedly until they start cleaning up their act. Unbiased? Do you actually think those 3 BS penalties in a row were acceptable?

The refs were lucky Kassian didn't drop the gloves and beat one of them unconscious. It's going to happen one day unless they cut garbage like last night out.

Archived