The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hansen... on the powerplay?

Mathew Barzal

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay okay. After you're done laughing think about this, Vrbata has been Kesler's replacement for main shot on our powerplay, but the thing that made Kes's shot so valuable wasn't only that it was accurate, it was an absolute bomb. The predictability was there but like many great one timers (ala AO8) it doesn't matter if you see it if you can't react in time to stop it.

Vrbata likes to pick his spots, and for that he sacrifices power for accuracy. While that works in certain situations, our PP is set up so it REVOLVES around getting him open around getting his side open for that shot. If he can get some mustard on that shot of his then I wouldn't think twice about replacing him. But since he isn't used for much more than the one timer I can't help but think we have a better option in the badger.

Well, that's my bright idea of the day. Flame away!

I think the Canucks PP has been in need of a tune up for a long time. Constantly throwing the same basic structure at teams has made our PP too predictable. If I was coach of the Canucks I would have 5-6 different looks, and I would alternate them as frequently as possible to make sure teams can't structure their gameplan towards shutting down our PP. Too often we send the Sedins out there with Burrows/Kass/Vrbata and we can't even establish any good zone time. The Sedins are amazing on the PP once it gets set up, but far too often we only get 1 or 2 good looks a game... sometimes out of 5-7 PP attempts. Teams far less skilled than ours have better PP stats. The Canucks strength is having a deep forward corps. We should play to that strength by alternating who starts out, rotating players who are playing well. The Sedin's should obviously always get the most PP time, but that doesn't mean they should automatically start every single PP. Ive seen recent examples where Bo's line will go out and draw a penalty with very strong play, only to get subbed off for the twins who squander basically 1:30 by failing to get set up. Share the love. It will only make the Sedin's unit more successful.

Edit: getting to your original point, I think featuring Hansen on the PP more is a great idea. His speed alone would help us gain the zone and establish inital pressure.

I'd do that. Adding an element like him could really make the 1st unit more dangerous, since he could be like Vey but with a bomb, making him all the more dangerous.

(goalie)

Danny - Hank

Vrbata - Edler

Hansen

We could use the Twins down low (either one can try a jam play from the side and they can trade places as the screener) and then change it up quick to set up the triangle from the point, with two bombs in Radim and Eddie, plus Hansen's a good passer, shooter and is quick enough to mop up any guys who get behind him on the breakaway.

Hansen on the power play? Well, the numbers over the past four seasons suggest we could (and have) certainly do a lot worse:

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?db=201115&sit=5v4&type=goals&teamid=29&pos=skaters&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?db=201115&sit=5v4&type=corsi&teamid=29&pos=skaters&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Can't say I'd be against giving Hansen some opportunities. He's done better than many of the other options we've tried.

And wow, those PP stats for Kassian are pretty ugly. Didn't realize he'd been that bad.

For the first unit, I would go five forward set...

Kassian or Burrows as net front presence...Sedins on the cycle...Hansen on off wing with what has turned out to be a bomb...Vrbata on the point. Vrbata seems to have the ability to keep the puck on his stick better than any of d-men the Canucks have used on the point on the PP this season.

Second unit, I would go with a more traditional PP look...

Kassian or Burrows or Matthias as net front presence...Bonino and Horvat working puck possession, Bieksa or Clendening/Weber/Corrado on LD and Edler on RD, with LD sliding in and out of the play. Bonino and Horvat are lefties, so LD would be the guy looking for the shot anywhere from the point to the top of the circle and Kassian or Burrows would be setting up the screen and looking for rebounds.

Given Bo's heaviness (220 lbs. at last count, apparently), I would also consider using him as the net front presence. I would bet once he locks in front of the crease, he would be tough to move. Could see him being a Holmstrom kind of guy in front of the net screening the goalie with the quick hands to do something with rebounds.

Hmm.. maybe I could have phrased OP a bit better. Hansen will literally be only utilized for his slapshot. LIKE Vrbata. He will not be handling the puck nor responsible for being the net front presence in any regard.

again.

I don't think Vrbata has the slap shot power to warrant him being the cannon on that side. I would rather have him take Veys spot as he's adept at finding the open ice and timing the Sedins plays. Much like Samuelsson was utilized in 2011.

Archived