The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT Canucks Vs Flames FLAMES ADVANCE

Magikal

Still can't believe they handed Calgary a powerplay to tie the game at 4 4. What an absolute joke and embarrassment to the league and any integrity we thought they may have.

Regardless, it doesn't make up for blowing that 3 0 lead. It's a shame our season came to an end like that.

Thank you 2014-2015 Canucks. It was a great year to be a fan.

All I can say for any team to blow a 3-0 lead, esp in the playoffs, well, they deserve to lose! Mainly I blame Desjardin for not telling his guys look, change your play, trap them in the neutral zone like you did in game one, at least pick up your '&^@#ing' check on the backcheck (which is partially the players fault). Oh no, they played like crap on the defense again. Also Miller, not sure if he shined like turd at this juncture, but he could've played better - w/ shades of Luongo, letting goals in a crucial moments. Wish I had Willys personal email address to extend a special 'frack you' for wasting my time and money this year, & once again going out in the first round, like bitches. Go Sens!!!

Hey, maybe you do have a point or two but bringing up Toronto is laughable. Look at where tanking has got them all those years.

I think Toronto is a different market, its several times bigger than Vancouver and most of those guys that sit in there are on the company's dime.

Two year tank wouldnt be enough unless you are getting into the top 3 picks and those guys turn out to be franchise players. Colorado is still struggling, Edmonton cant get out of the basement and Buffalo will be Buffalo. Do you think guys like Kane and toews come around in short spans every time?.You also need a supporting cast and you still need to make outstanding draft picks in latter rounds ...see Keith etc etc...its not as easy as throwing a way a few years and then building a cup winner

As for what other things people would spend money...well...there is the MLS....there are elite restaurants here...a world class ski hill not too far away....seattle seahawks a couple hours away....i dont think this city will endure a decade of tanking because there are not enough hardcore fans who can afford to part 200 bucks per evening on a consistent basis.

PS - stop praising yourself with statements about rattling me or winning the arguments....its a little douche like....

I'm not sure you understand what "tanking" is....

The Leafs have definitely not been tanking. (until this year's trade deadline) When you go out and throw big money at David Clarkson, it's definitely not the act of a "tanking" team.

In fact, the only tankers from that list posted a few pages back is Buffalo. and they were extremely unlucky not to land the best draft pick since Sid as a result. Even then, they got an excellent prospect in Eichel.

We're all well aware that the bandwagon fans of this franchise would not support a full rebuild. The content of this thread makes that clear. However, it doesn't preclude some of us from wishing it were otherwise. This cycle of mediocrity has been going on for 45 years and some of us unlucky enough to have witnessed all of them first hand would like to see actual steps taken break that cycle, instead of these perennial, half-hearted, "retool on the fly" efforts.

But we are a better team than the Flames, right? I am not saying that we are better than the Ducks or Kings etc, but we are playing against the Flames for god sake...This Flames team was not expected to do any better than the Oilers this season.......this is such a joke that we lost to the Flames, still can't believe this just happened...

The Flames beat a lot of teams that they weren't supposed to. They held off the defending Cup champions in order to make the playoffs. They also finished a mere 4 points behind the Canucks in the regular season. It's not like they came out of nowhere.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I wasn't able to watch this game, but from what I saw on the highlights, it appeared that the defense (and goaltending) didn't have a very good outing. Weber, in particular looked to be in over his head. I'm not going to hang him out to dry for it, though. The reality is that he was supposed to be a depth defenseman. He garnered his spot by being far and away the biggest threat to score from the blueline.

That being said, I might have made an adjustment to the defense, were I Desjardins and/or Lidster.

I realize of course that this suggestion is going to have the "Bieksa sux" contingent out in full force, but I would have reunited the Juice/Hammer pairing and limited Sbisa/Weber to minimal minutes, with Weber still being the PP point man alongside Edler.

The Flames took that tack with their defense and it seemed to serve them in good stead.

This isn't a slam of the coaching staff, however. These guys got the team to 101 points with their "roll 4 lines and six D" philosophy, so it's hard to be too critical and as always, hindsight is 20/20.

Still, it leaves a pretty big "what if"...

it's more pathetic if you're planning to cheer for a sunbelt city that has miserable tv ratings, walt disney roots and little fanbase.

No it's more pathetic if you cheer for the &^@#ing flames and their classless fans! I will never ever cheer for them. Just read the garbage they write on Calgary puck. I don't want Kesler to win the cup but will cheer for him over Calgary any day of the week!

A few thoughts:

-Congrats to Calgary, they did a good job and deserved the series the way they played. Ferland is a pest, but he did his job and had the Canucks rattled. You can argue charging for some hits but its the playoffs, they always tighten up the calls. Calgary had the Canucks looking behind them most of the series and effectively had them off their game.

-Games 1 & 6 were the difference in the series. And say what you want about blowing a 3-0 lead, I expected the game to be tight. After Calgary made it 3-3 it turned into the game I thought it would be. The empty netters inflated the score but Calgary took advantage of their speed and quick counterattack all series. The Canucks defence looked slow and confused at times.

-It will be interesting to see what Benning/Linden decide the course of action will be this off season. This team will only stick around for another year before trades and/or contracts expire. I can honestly say only a few players are safe past next season. I can't see the Sedins being moved with a NTC this late in their careers, Horvat has to be safe the way he played this season and the "braintrust" seems to have a liking for Dorsett.

-I'd say good luck to Calgary against the Ducks but I hate the Flames. Problem is I hate the Ducks too. Maybe I can warm up to the idea if Ferland hits Kesler so hard he skates off the ice crying? Or if Getzlaf and Perry put on a show against the young guns of Calgary? Screw it: Go Blackhawks?!?!

Or maybe it is coaching?

Av could never make a difference, Tortorella had AV's leftovers and rode the Sedin's like a mule, driving the team into the ground and now you've got a coach who won't shorten his bench when the season is on the line. even if you had a whole new roster that dog won't hunt.

How could AV never make a difference? It's purely opinion as there's no way to prove that one way or the other. You could state facts though. Such as the numerous Presidents Trophies he won with this team (and NYR this year), the Stanley Cup finals appearance (both Van and first year in NYR) or the fact that despite getting knocked out in round one, the next coach couldn't even get this team to the playoffs - kinda suggests AV COULD INDEED make a difference. And then there's the fact AV has taken the Rangers further into the playoffs than any other coach in how long? So please tell me again how AV could not make a difference.

Sedin pulled out the bounces excuse like always, man I hate hearing that lame crap. Accountability? who needs that when you can just blame the bounces for your poor play.

What do you expect him to say?!

Yeah my brother and I dominated the series but WD got out coached and needed JB and TL to tell him to play us more.

Yeah my brother and I dominated the series but our defense was making more turnovers than a bakery.

Yeah my brother and I dominated the series but we had no 2nd line.

Give your head a shake man, the Sedins are too classy to throw anyone under the bus.

I was a bit miffed on what Hansen was doing for much in 2nd and 3rd period? Many times the Sedin's were cycling down low and Hansen wasn't even in TV camera view for extended periods. Jim Hughson mentioned he was playing high in the slot a couple times.

Shoulda got Vrbata in with the Sedin's with Burrow's out IMO.

What do you expect him to say?!

Yeah my brother and I dominated the series but WD got out coached and needed JB and TL to tell him to play us more.

Yeah my brother and I dominated the series but our defense was making more turnovers than a bakery.

Yeah my brother and I dominated the series but we had no 2nd line.

Give your head a shake man, the Sedins are too classy to throw anyone under the bus.

How about we dominated the series but couldn't put the puck in the net when it counted? It's nice to dominate possession but it doesn't mean much if you never finish or score. I'm tired of Henrik lying every post game saying they played well enough to win like in games 3 and 4 when they absolutely stunk those games. Does he think the fans are dumb trying to peddle that bull$&!# post game? Show some accountability and realism in your answers.

Henrik didn't look very upset...he never does. It would be nice to see some emotion. He will say all the right things and be nice about it...he doesn't inspire his team however, as they played like $&!#.

Everyone knows Clark Kent is a mild mannered guy but Canucks need Superman, not Clark Kent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO7QgDHpFoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8OibtYsOv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vm5E76gk6E

Props to Clagary.

They played a hell of a game.

6-4 final

4games to 2games for Calgary.

Better season than expected.

WD and GMJB did a great job improving this team and I expect big improvements in the next season. It was fun to enjoy some playoff hockey again.

Time to cheer on the Canadian teams that are left.

Props to Linden, WD, and Benning for providing a great team and a fun season to watch.

We have some big issues to address like always but you can't help but tip your hat to the brass for providing a big improvement to the team!

stock-photo-19846138-fat-lady-sings.jpg

Well said. I am with you. Let's look at the positive side and carry on. Next year is going to be interesting and better. Go Canucks Go.

It's sad to me that I held my breath in a 3-0 lead, not feeling confident at all. That's sad....I want to rebuild a faith in my team based on knowing in that situation they'll dig deep and prevail. Not always, but this roller coaster ride we've been taken on in a Jekyll and Hyde way is a little disheartening. I want some stability. Oh wait, it's hockey...that's what happens. Along with ulcers, heart burn and headaches.

We'll get there one day....

My son commented that I'm not doing my usual defense of the team ... my homering. It's getting tougher to do so. Not really directed at this game in particular, as I think they played ok...but in how the series unfolded. It was very much a wth thing in seeing what they brought (or didn't) on any given night. In how all over the charts that was. I really do prefer that, when a game is slipping away, they do a bit more hitting. At least to stay emotionally invested vs being momentarily shellshocked.

But I am not a coach and so really don't have a clue. Had they popped in a timely goal in response, who knows.

It's just how it feels...like more intensity and pressure should be applied as momentum is shifting and that we don't always have a response like that.

There is only one reason we lost. That "goalie interference" penalty that they scored on. Talk about the refs throwing the game. I don't think anybody that wasn't a flames thought that should have been a penalty.

I am getting really tired of their BS.

The NHL is a bush league compared to the NBA, NFL and MLB.

There is only one reason we lost. That "goalie interference" penalty that they scored on. Talk about the refs throwing the game. I don't think anybody that wasn't a flames thought that should have been a penalty.

I am getting really tired of their BS.

The NHL is a bush league compared to the NBA, NFL and MLB.

Lol, wasn't it the NBA not too long ago that the refs were rigging games to win bets?

it's more pathetic if you're planning to cheer for a sunbelt city that has miserable tv ratings, walt disney roots and little fanbase.

Agreed. Why would anyone cheer for an American team over a Canadian team. Canadian all the way baby, especially where is comes to Kesler. Go Calgary and Montreal. Why would anyone want the cup to go to a US team. What happened to being patriotic.

I was a bit miffed on what Hansen was doing for much in 2nd and 3rd period? Many times the Sedin's were cycling down low and Hansen wasn't even in TV camera view for extended periods. Jim Hughson mentioned he was playing high in the slot a couple times.

Shoulda got Vrbata in with the Sedin's with Burrow's out IMO.

Agree. That one time when the Sedins had it on a tiring and the Flamers were gassed, not one other blue jersey in sight

Agreed. Why would anyone cheer for an American team over a Canadian team. Canadian all the way baby, especially where is comes to Kesler. Go Calgary and Montreal. Why would anyone want the cup to go to a US team. What happened to being patriotic.

Easy cause I can't stand the classless and arrogant fans of the other Canadian teams. Only ones I'm impartial to are Ottawa and Winnipeg. Bringing the cup back to Canada is meaningless unless it's the canucks doing it.

Henrik didn't look very upset...he never does. It would be nice to see some emotion. He will say all the right things and be nice about it...he doesn't inspire his team however, as they played like crap.

Everyone knows Clark Kent is a mild mannered guy but Canucks need Superman, not Clark Kent.

Ya I just love to see guys like Kesler and Kessel with tears in their eyes, sitting on the bench crying after they lost the gold in the Vancouver Olympics. It makes them look like whimps. Some may not thinks so but the Sedins are men and are made up of sportsmanship plus. Go back and live in your fantasy world of super heros if superman is what really turns your crank.

Archived