The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks fell from 18th Overall Pick in 2015 Draft to 23rd Overall by Defeating Edmonton in Final Regular Season Game

Canucks

Remember this game?

The Canucks came from behind and defeated the Oilers in OT in a meaningless final game of the regular season.

If the Canucks had lost that game in regulation, they would have drafted 18th in the first round of the 2015 NHL Draft (on the basis of finishing 13th overall in the NHL standings).

However, since the Canucks won that game, they improved to 8th overall in the NHL standings and fell to the 23rd pick in the Draft.

Also, keep in mind that unless the Flames deafeat Anaheim in Round 2, they will pick AHEAD of the Canucks in the 2015 Draft.

Whatever. We weren't thinking about draft placement at that time, we were thinking about getting home ice advantage against as many potential playoff opponents as possible, and maintaining momentum for the playoffs. I'm still happy we won that game.

I don't know how much this really will matter in the end.

18 year olds are kind of a crap shoot mid-first round anyway. Lots of higher picks amount to nothing while lower ones turn out well. I think it has so much to do with development within the system anyway.

18 vs 23:

2003: Eric Fehr vs Kesler.

2004: Kyle Chipchura vs Andrej Meszaros

Etc

Whatever. We weren't thinking about draft placement at that time, we were thinking about getting home ice advantage against as many potential playoff opponents as possible, and maintaining momentum for the playoffs. I'm still happy we won that game.

Not to justify this silly thread, but in fact the home ice advantage had been decided before the Edmonton game started when Calgary lost to Winnipeg in an afternoon game earlier that day.

C'est la vie.

Canucks should just be focus'd on winning games and fans should be cheering for the Canucks to win games. We'll leave the tanking for the Edmonton's and the Buffalo's of the league.

If Benning see's a player he wants he'll move around to get to the spot where he can take that player.

Archived