The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Mike Babcock chooses the Toronto Maple Leafs

Hmm, the grass isn't always greener lol.

Detroit will be fine, they will find the right person to coach their players in their system and continue to find success. Toronto I can say I feel better about their situation with Babcock there, but the organization is a mess and there will be much struggle before things turn around.

I would assume the dollars being offered were a major incentive, not happy about this but glad Babcock is where he wants to be and on his terms.

If true, then Babcock will have to deal with Phil Kessel. Good luck.

Best place for Babcock to go to. Was written all over the wall.

Who wins a Cup first; Vancouver or Toronto?

Vancouver wins 5 Cups before the Leafs win another.

Non confirmed.

Jumping the gun quite a bit on a speculative tweet from a twit.

hate to burst your bubble i know i don't have a source link but just listening to the leafs lunch on tsn it has been confirmed... shanahan hires babcock... around 6 yrs...20 mill roughly... im sure that will get updated by someone in the next little bit...

That's fair.

The Leafs are still going to continue getting hammered.

Yep. Still a lot more work to be done in Toronto bjt stealing Babcock will speed up that process a lot. Wouldn't be surprised though in the media there ran him out town half way through the 8 years lol.

As a Wings fan, kind of upset Babcock chose within the division but whatever, it's his decision. No idea why he'd choose TO of all places...must've been the money. No other reason I can logically think of.

Gonna be sad to see Babcock no longer behind the Wings bench. He provided years of stability as the head coach, though I'm confident the next coach will be able to take on the reigns.

Toronto has picked up a high class AAA+ coach. Farewell Babs!

hate to burst your bubble i know i don't have a source link but just listening to the leafs lunch on tsn it has been confirmed... shanahan hires babcock... 6 yrs @20 mill...

It still hasn't been confirmed and that post was an hour ago.

Welcome to the party even if you're a little late.

TSN Confirms:

http://www.tsn.ca/babcock-joins-leafs-with-eight-year-50m-deal-1.287208

Mike Babcock is being paid a record amount of money to coach the Toronto Maple Leafs in a shocking turn of events.

TSN's Darren Dreger is reporting the Stanley Cup and Olympic gold medal-winning coach will be paid an NHL-high $6.25 million per season over an eight-year term with the Leafs after joining the team Wednesday. Babcock was the subject of an 11th hour bidding war between the Maple Leafs, Buffalo Sabres and Detroit Red Wings, whom he coached 10 seasons before becoming hockey's highest profile free agent.

The Leafs were not projected in the final mix of teams pursuing Babcock after the 52-year-old was granted permission to explore the market for his services before his contract with the Red Wings expired.

But Toronto suddenly changed all that: now Babcock's long term mission is to lead the Leafs to a Stanley Cup for the first time since 1967.

Babcock is being asked – in conjunction with President Brendan Shanahan and, presumably, a new general manager - to turn around a franchise that has finished out of the playoffs nine of the past 10 seasons. His teams have missed the playoffs just once in 12 NHL seasons – and his Red Wings reached the post-season for a current high 24th consecutive season in 2014-15.

This is the boldest move yet by Shanahan who this season has fired a GM, two head coaches and double digit scouts, traded a group of impending free agents and is contemplating dealing the likes of captain Dion Phaneuf and star scorer Phil Kessel.

Babcock guided the Red Wings to a Stanley Cup in 2008 and led them back to the Cup final the following season. Babcock is the winningest coach in Red Wings history and led the team to the Presidents' Trophy twice. The Red Wings, whose final offer was believed to be $4 millon per season over 5 years, will receive a third round draft pick as compensation for losing their head coach.

Babcock is the only coach in hockey's Triple Gold Club: an honour bestowed upon individuals who have won Olympic (2010, 2014), World (2004) and Stanley Cup (2008) championships. Babcock also coached Canada to World Junior gold in 1997.

@FriedgeHNIC:

To reset: Babcock to TOR. Eight-year deal, but there may be an "out" after five. Full value is approx $50M, but front loaded....

@FriedgeHNIC:

because of the out, could be as high as $8M. Will have power in personnel decisions, along with Brendan Shanahan. Announcement soon.

Seems like Babcock got the Patrick Roy treatment. Coaching and managerial power overlooking roster moves.

Yep. Still a lot more work to be done in Toronto bjt stealing Babcock will speed up that process a lot. Wouldn't be surprised though in the media there ran him out town half way through the 8 years lol.

As a Wings fan, kind of upset Babcock chose within the division but whatever, it's his decision. No idea why he'd choose TO of all places...must've been the money. No other reason I can logically think of.

To cement his legacy... and for the ultimate challenge.

Archived