The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal : summer ideas

Just a couple ideas that I think are realistic and would like to see. At least close.

First off let Mathias and Richardson walk. Richardson has injury woes and Mathias cause of the cap crunch. I wouldn't re sign Wener but I know JB wants to. But this proposal will tell you why we shouldn't.

Van-Buf

Higgins (2.5M) and rights to B.McMillan for M.Foligno (1.875M)

Higgins can be a leader on a rebuilding Sabres team. McMillan never really fit in and with the future I don't see him fitting in either. Foligno is 6'4" and can fit in the bottom six well. Also has potential I think and can be top 6. Saves us some cap as well

Van-Ott

Bieksa (4.5M cap hit 2.5M paid salary) for 2nd Rd pick Dallas or There own

Hate to see Bieksa go but he is taking up a big chunk of cap. Trade him for one of the 2nd rounder Ottawa has and he can be a leader and retire in his home province. Nothing but a cap dump.

Van-SJ

Miller(6.0M) , rights to Vey, and '17 1st for Tennyson (625K) and '15 1st (9th)

Gunna have people not like this but we are in good hands with Lack. And why not try to use Miller and the fact SJ needs a goalie and try to get the 9th overall pick and get a decent player out of it and have 2 first rounders. I think it can happen so why not try something along these lines. They get a pick in 2017 and who knows it could be better. Low risk high reward and I think Lack proved himself. Vey never fit in really either and we have players who could beat him for a spot.

Van-Mtl

Burrows (4.5M) and Jensen (870K) for L.Eller (3.5M) and '15 3rd

Half cap dump half hockey trade. I honestly do not see Jensen panning out. He continues to struggle and not produce like we all saw. He has been also jumped on the depth chart and a change may bode well for him. Burrows has a chance to go for a cup on a very good Habs team. Also can fill the hole Eller would leave. Eller is 25 and needs a change of scenery. Good player and can have the Danish connection with Hansen. Can be top six or bottom. But room to grow and physical.

Van-Wsh

Vrbata (5.0M) and Kassian (1.75M) for M.Bowey (695K) and '15 3rd

Not sure how this will be taken. BUT hear me out. Wsh needs so,some who can score besides Ovechkin. Barbara can fill that void and why not take advantage of his good year. Kassian may not even need to be added to this or maybe we ask for there 1st this year and have 3 picks if the SJ trade happened. Wsh would get a scorer and another beater and banger which could help them over that hump. We get a highly touted prospect in Bowey who is supposed to be very good. Seen him live and Kelowna and he is well worth it.

Also this summer, sign C.Franson and M.Green. Both to AAV 5.5M if possible. Both right handed shots. Both under 20 still and both can help our PP which we definitely need. We save some cap with the trades. Would give us a solid d core and have us set to draft and develope for a few years.

Lines

Sedin-Sedin- Baertchi

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Eller

Hansen-Bonino-Foligno

Virtanen-Cassles/McCann/Gaunce-Dorsett/Kenins

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Green

Sbisa-Franson

Corrado-Clendenning

Montreal wouldn't make that trade. Eller is a center. so no, burrows doesn't replace him. Also. Bergevin really likes him. Eller is starting to take on the role that Plekanec has played for Montreal for the last 5 years. Not only that, but The Eller line was Montreal's most effective in the playoffs. They aren't going to take in extra cap and get older just because Burrows is French

The only way I see them moving him is for an upgrade at center.

Montreal wouldn't make that trade. Eller is a center. so no, burrows doesn't replace him. Also. Bergevin really likes him. Eller is starting to take on the role that Plekanec has played for Montreal for the last 5 years. Not only that, but The Eller line was Montreal's most effective in the playoffs. They aren't going to take in extra cap and get older just because Burrows is French

The only way I see them moving him is for an upgrade at center.

Beat me to it lol. I really want to see Galchenyuk at C this upcoming year, he played great with Patches in that 10 or so game stint a while back. Basically means Desharnais becomes the odd man out, but MT is in love with him... Also wouldn't mind seeing Parenteau gone, but then the Habs would need another top 6 winger, unless Hudon or Thomas can somehow make a miraculous leap.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Top 6 winger - Plekanec - Parenteau

De La Rose - Eller - Weise

Prust - Mitchell - Smith-Pelly

MTL won't make that trade.

Buffalo won't give up such a promising young player in Foligno after everyone saw what happened with brother Nick in CBJ over the last 3 years. Bowey is NOT going anywhere, certainly not for a 35 year old forward on one of the most offensive teams in the league.

Good thought, just no value there that makes sense

we don't know if san jose would want miller or if benning wants to stay with the 2 swedes...

probably he moves lack or markstrom...any trades that you feel looks good for our team, probably

doesn't look so good to the other teams....no one plays with the sedins as effective as burrows...

baerschi could move into matthias' spot next year and gaunce might claim richardson's spot, but

there is no guarantee anyone else will....benning says, that if any young guys can come in and grab a spot, he'll move out players to make room for them...imo, the biggest need is on defense....

I think most of the players the OP targets make sense, at least from a "rosterbation" perspective. Not sure how much would be possible under "real world" conditions, however.

But clearing salary on Miller, Bieksa, Burrows, and Higgins would yield around $17.6 million in cap. I'd keep Vrbata and Kassian, at least until the deadline, and see if any of the forward prospects are ready to make those guys expendable. Maybe cash in on Vrbata as a rental. But I'd keep Kassian, if possible, because I don't think he gets enough return unless he's playing really well (in which case I'd rather keep him anyway).

I think Franson and Green would be fairly good adds (maybe not my idea of the ideal upgrades) on the back end, especially with Bieksa vacating a RHD spot. It would would leave us still with one "safe" D playing on either side (Hamhuis and Tanev), which means you could balance two pairs (Edler-Tanev, Hamhuis-Green) or stack them for one "shutdown" unit (Hamhuis-Tanev). The other four (Edler, Green, Franson, Sbisa) would all the capacity to be "adventures" in their own end at times, but hopefully the improved offensive punch (and the mobility of Green--Franson not so much) would help us keep the puck moving in the right direction.

I think most of the OP's trades are pretty optimistic though. Personally, I'd be OK with doing "cap dump" trades on most of these players, so long as we're active in free agency picking up good replacements (and improvements hopefully) and we're getting some replenishment from the prospect ranks (and hopefully picking up a few picks along the way).

I wouldn't mind making bring Malhotra back to alternate as a 13th forward with Vey. He could provide a tonne of mentorship to Vey, Bonino and Horvat. He is still an ace in the faceoff dot, and lead Montreal forwards in short handed TOI.

A complete deadweight offensively, and isn't really a shutdown forward anymore, but for a cheap one year deal he could be valuable. I'd love to see him retire as a Canuck and work as an assistant with Utica.

Archived