The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trading our first round pick

Nucksfollower1983

Our 1st, Vrbata and Cassels

for

Malkin

Obviously Pitt aren't going to move Malkin unless they get a front line player in return but really, how much value does Malkin have. Kesler's return was less and he is a top end #2 center. He would be the perfect fit here with what JB and TL are trying to do

Kesler's was less because the choice was to trade him to one team or keep him and risk lots of drama.

Regardless, that is a fine return for Malkin. He is signed to a very hefty contract with a huge cap hit, which makes him less valuable. At that dollar amount you are really hoping he recaptures the 40-50 goal mark.

for

Malkin

Obviously Pitt aren't going to move Malkin unless they get a front line player in return but really, how much value does Malkin have. Kesler's return was less and he is a top end #2 center. He would be the perfect fit here with what JB and TL are trying to do

Kesler's was less because the choice was to trade him to one team or keep him and risk lots of drama.

Regardless, that is a fine return for Malkin. He is signed to a very hefty contract with a huge cap hit, which makes him less valuable. At that dollar amount you are really hoping he recaptures the 40-50 goal mark.

Yeah for sure Malkins contract is something that needs to be weighed by any team wanting to acquire him. That is the exact reason I question how much value does he really have. Kesler has a sweet deal and I thought JB got hosed personally but c'est la vie. Rutherford didn't draft Geno or sign him to his current deal so he may see it as an albatross on the Pens cap situation more than anything. We wont get Malkin but I fully expect he gets traded at this years draft

Why? Think of the goaltending depth:

Anderson

Lack

Markstrom

Ericsson

Miller

Demko

We'd never let one in then...

I cant tell if you are trolling me or not. We'd never let one in then? Trade our first and Gaunce for a 34 year old goalie when goaltending is the position we need to upgrade the least? Your plan is to keep Miller and Lack as well which would make our cap expenditures on goalies absolutely ridiculous too. :picard:

Talk about the complete opposite direction we need to go in. We need to get rid of a goalie not acquire another one.

According to a pundit on radio, Pens might be looking to trade Malkin. What they have isn't working right now, and they may try to get rid of some of that salary to add more depth. They'll at least want a 2nd line centre in return as well as first round pick. Obviously, they'll want a massive return, but it is possible he could be moved.

for

Malkin

Not even close. They don't want Sutter as their second line centre, so you are going to have to add that in there. A team like Minnesota can make a much better offer because of their depth.

This is Vancouver, the fans always overrate thier prospects. Remember when Coho was supposed to be our next captain?

He was playing great in the stretch before he got traded and Gillis drafted him because of his leadership abilities. Him becoming the next captain at the time was not that far fetched.

What makes people think Malkin will strive here? Pittsburgh's had him for years WITH Sidney Crosby and they still can't manage to win.

Because he would be "the man" here instead of being in the shadow of Crosby. The Sedins are nearing the ends of their careers, and will be 2nd liners within a year or two regardless, faster if Malkin is here to supplant them.

I am not advocating getting him, because I do think his cap hit is too much, I think it is still 2nd highest in the league. He isn't the 2nd best player in the league and value is all about what you are worth compared with how much you count against the cap.

Not even close. They don't want Sutter as their second line centre, so you are going to have to add that in there. A team like Minnesota can make a much better offer because of their depth.

Yeah you're right that there are other teams that can put offers through to the Pens that may be better but having a center like him could fit perfect here. I don't think by any stretch that JB is interested in him but I do think he'll get moved this draft

I cant tell if you are trolling me or not. We'd never let one in then? Trade our first and Gaunce for a 34 year old goalie when goaltending is the position we need to upgrade the least? Your plan is to keep Miller and Lack as well which would make our cap expenditures on goalies absolutely ridiculous too. :picard:

Talk about the complete opposite direction we need to go in. We need to get rid of a goalie not acquire another one.

But look at that goaltending depth!! Top of the league, plus with a few goalie injuries we still have enough depth to not miss a step. Plus Anderson is really good. Win win go for it JB!! Goalie depth!!!

He was playing great in the stretch before he got traded and Gillis drafted him because of his leadership abilities. Him becoming the next captain at the time was not that far fetched.

I know he had the duct tape C on him for awhile, not to far fetched at all :rolleyes:

Furthermore, many Canucks fans and hockey analysts where upset over this deal. Thought we got fleeched. And now nobody thinks that. Kassian is only getting better apart from an injured season and still working through consistancy issues; but given the type of player he is, it does take time. I am excited to watch Kassian in his late 20s crush forwards and score goals. Instead of hearing "Here comes Ferland." I want to be hearing, "$&!#! Here comes Kassian, hope he doesn't break his jaw."

Yeah cause the cap doesnt exist, never mind that this is a gigantic overpayment.

They can always make room via more trades. And you'd have to over pay in order to acquire a player of that calibre who is in his prime.

edit: the Canucks could also retain some of the Sedin's salary to make it happen.

I would rather give Benning the chance to get another "Virtanen" i.e. someone who could be had around 23 who will be a big dynamic winger in a year or two.

If the Pens are desperate for a first round pick then it probably means they recognise the calibre of the forwards to be had, even at our pick level.

Archived