The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The darker side of solar power

Heretic

Hey, forget hydro and solar, Im all for nuclear power right now. The parasites can suck their kickbacks from multibillion dollar reactor projects. It works, New reactors are safe if they are out of earthquake/tsunami/tornado prone areas. Yes, they have waste to be dealt with but they work. 3 mile island and Chernobyl happened at a time when the entire place was run by computers that had 1/1000 th the computing power of the average smart phone.

Fuel energy density (in megajoules per kilogram):

Sugar: 19

Coal: 24

Gasoline: 46

Uranium: 72,000,000

One of these fuel sources is not like the others.

I totally agree OT.

While not the perfect energy source nuclear power has been somewhat demonised. There are still issues with storing the waste but it is still a lot better than burning coal IMO.

If only we could find the answer to making fusion work.

I totally agree OT.

While not the perfect energy source nuclear power has been somewhat demonised. There are still issues with storing the waste but it is still a lot better than burning coal IMO.

Fusion is soooo far out. Not that it won't be feasible one day but right now the designs are all about maximizing output (and we still haven't created a design that puts out more energy than it consumes) which means difficult shapes like tokamaks or piston-covered chambers which make collecting the output energy impossible. Once someone comes up with a design that uses magnetic fields to force the neutrons generated by fusion in a specific direction (ie at a collector), then we'll be getting somewhere.

As for nuclear, it's so ridiculously demonized at this point. GE-Hitachi's PRISM reactor uses standard enriched uranium fuel, nuclear warheads or waste uranium fuel rods to generate energy. Plus it only takes a coke can-sized chunk of uranium to create the energy of a tonne of coal. Oh yeah, and it's meltdown-proof. Then there are thorium reactors, which use less-radioactive fuel which can't be weaponized, is far more readily available than uranium and creates waste with a miniscule half-life. We have unbreakable reactor designs that eat nukes and nuclear waste, but we won't build them because we judge nuclear based on plants built in the 60s.

Clean energy and turning back the clock on nuclear proliferation is held back by stupid hippies and weak politicians. I don't take anyone who talks about clean energy seriously if they're anti-nuclear. If you think renewables in anything like their current state will make a dent in the problem, you can google "Renewistan", the US-sized space we would need to fill with solar panels, batteries, turbines, etc. to power the globe.

Seriously, WTF are you talking about?

What a pathetic and over generalized statement to make.

Yes, I'm a Christian, where did I ever say I denied climate change?

This thread has nothing to do with religion - Get out if you only plan on attacking Christians.

I apologize for being a presumptuous prick, I simply assumed

-man writes a hack article about the evils of solar power, a clean and renewable energy source

-the same man writes an article about how gay marriage infringes upon the rights of religious people

-Christians are often the ones responsible for spreading disinformation about climate change (based on theological grounds believe it or not)

I apologize for being a presumptuous prick, I simply assumed

-man writes a hack article about the evils of solar power, a clean and renewable energy source

-the same man writes an article about how gay marriage infringes upon the rights of religious people

-Christians are often the ones responsible for spreading disinformation about climate change (based on theological grounds believe it or not)

I apologize as well - I didn't see that so I thought your opinion was just about me.

I totally agree OT.

That would be the ticket that's for sure.

Also found a better source showing the pros and cons of various energy sources:

http://www.triplepundit.com/special/energy-options-pros-and-cons/fusion-power-pros-cons/

I'm going to add that to the OP...

Fusion is soooo far out. Not that it won't be feasible one day but right now the designs are all about maximizing output (and we still haven't created a design that puts out more energy than it consumes) which means difficult shapes like tokamaks or piston-covered chambers which make collecting the output energy impossible. Once someone comes up with a design that uses magnetic fields to force the neutrons generated by fusion in a specific direction (ie at a collector), then we'll be getting somewhere.

As for nuclear, it's so ridiculously demonized at this point. GE-Hitachi's PRISM reactor uses standard enriched uranium fuel, nuclear warheads or waste uranium fuel rods to generate energy. Plus it only takes a coke can-sized chunk of uranium to create the energy of a tonne of coal. Oh yeah, and it's meltdown-proof. Then there are thorium reactors, which use less-radioactive fuel which can't be weaponized, is far more readily available than uranium and creates waste with a miniscule half-life. We have unbreakable reactor designs that eat nukes and nuclear waste, but we won't build them because we judge nuclear based on plants built in the 60s.

Clean energy and turning back the clock on nuclear proliferation is held back by stupid hippies and weak politicians. I don't take anyone who talks about clean energy seriously if they're anti-nuclear. If you think renewables in anything like their current state will make a dent in the problem, you can google "Renewistan", the US-sized space we would need to fill with solar panels, batteries, turbines, etc. to power the globe.

I am quite aware how far along the road we are to making fusion work.

I am also conversant with current nuclear technology.

No hippies are holding us back here , it is the big coal miners and politicians with short sighted vision.

If you are a Canadian and living in BC , Newfie , The Yukon , Labrador , Manitoba and Quebec then there are no hippies holding you back there either because those provinces produce over 90% of their power from hydro , which under any measure is far cleaner than Nuclear Fission.

That would be the ticket that's for sure.

Also found a better source showing the pros and cons of various energy sources:

http://www.triplepundit.com/special/energy-options-pros-and-cons/fusion-power-pros-cons/

I'm going to add that to the OP...

Imagine that instead of spending trillions on "defending ourselves from ourselves " we used those resources to fix the problems our species faces.

That the great minds in china worked WITH the great minds in Russia , The US , Europe and so on.

I know people accuse me of being a dreamer , an Idealist , but I know 2 things for certain , that it takes people who believe that we can work together to solve our problems to indeed make that a reality and sometimes , just sometimes dreams come true.

Option C: Run-of-the-river hydroelectric power

Currently BC has more run-of-the-river power stations planned or under construction than anything else. Basically its a dam without a reservoir. Ideally downriver from a larger dam where a relatively constant water flow is maintained or on uncontrolled rivers used as a intermittent power supply. Works well in BC where we already have plenty of Dams for these to be downriver from.

Some Run-of-the-river stations have a very small reservoir. Small enough to be called pondage as opposed to the large lakes most dams create.

Imagine that instead of spending trillions on "defending ourselves from ourselves " we used those resources to fix the problems our species faces.

That the great minds in china worked WITH the great minds in Russia , The US , Europe and so on.

I know people accuse me of being a dreamer , an Idealist , but I know 2 things for certain , that it takes people who believe that we can work together to solve our problems to indeed make that a reality and sometimes , just sometimes dreams come true.

The Montreal Protocol is a example of how working together can create real lasting change.

The Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer is the first universally ratified treaty in UN history. Including 197 parties. 196 countries and the European Union. 98% of ozone depleting substances have been eliminated as a result.

There are ongoing attempts being made to link this landmark agreement to other environmental concerns.

Yeah, was anyone else cheering for SLJ in the Kingsmen?

I watched it and his character had a valid point dumping money into renewable energy is a waste of time as we are already past the tiping point for what this earth can handle.

I watched it and his character had a valid point dumping money into renewable energy is a waste of time as we are already past the tiping point for what this earth can handle.

:picard:

Has the IPCC seen your climate model yet? Because you seem to know something that literally 0 in 7 billion people know the answer to.

WE need more to think this way. I know in my heart most want to. The fear and consumption that rules almost all current ideologies is going to be a hard habit to break..... that being said I honestly think through education we can achieve anything.

I truly believe every single one of us CAN and will make a difference.

The Montreal Protocol is a example of how working together can create real lasting change.

The Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer is the first universally ratified treaty in UN history. Including 197 parties. 196 countries and the European Union. 98% of ozone depleting substances have been eliminated as a result.

There are ongoing attempts being made to link this landmark agreement to other environmental concerns.

Right On OT.

I was reading about this last week. If we had not stopped using CFCs then not only would the hole in the ozone layer in the antarctic got bigger but a hole larger than the size of Aus would have opened up over the arctic.

WE need more to think this way. I know in my heart most want to. The fear and consumption that rules almost all current ideologies is going to be a hard habit to break..... that being said I honestly think through education we can achieve anything.

I truly believe every single one of us CAN and will make a difference.

I am quite aware how far along the road we are to making fusion work.

I am also conversant with current nuclear technology.

No hippies are holding us back here , it is the big coal miners and politicians with short sighted vision.

If you are a Canadian and living in BC , Newfie , The Yukon , Labrador , Manitoba and Quebec then there are no hippies holding you back there either because those provinces produce over 90% of their power from hydro , which under any measure is far cleaner than Nuclear Fission.

It's not coal miners preventing nuclear. Like the poster said, it's false perception of risk in the public and anti-nuclear activists.

It's not coal miners preventing nuclear. Like the poster said, it's false perception of risk in the public and anti-nuclear activists.

No it's the fact that the waste from nuclear fission is extremely hazardous. You don't want nuclear waste to get into any water table. Add to the fact when accidents happen, the repercussions are horrific. Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, Fukushima. In addition, when a plant gets shut down. You don't just dismantle it. You actually have to bury the thing in concrete. Canada has one of the best safety records in nuclear. But despite the efficiency, the risks are not to be taken lightly.

You still didn't get it.

Marjanes????

I posted it as I'm tired of the bleeding heart environmentalists and 1 sided viewpoints - so I posted the "other" side.

Point is, no energy is completely without faults/impact.

You've known me a long time, I'm not too sure what's going on with your tangents here.

Edit: FYI - I started this thread.

That's why one speaks with their wallet, and their vote. And that's why PC's have been running the country for so long. Letting environmentalists dictate policy because of their religious attitude about a science matter, and amazingly "intellectual" fiscal ideas finding ways to spend other people's money, rather than lead by example, is not a road Canada wants to go down. They'd rather stick with the &^@#ed up conservatives than have environmentalists lead the country, which tells you everything you need to know.

Archived