The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks shopping Eddie Lack for second round pick

To better understand, if they were holding off announcments, would the trade calls already be made and deals official but kept under wraps or do they risk an unofficial aggreement falling through by waiting?

I guess my question is, are they able to make it official without it being leaked?

They're allowed to agree in principle. Pretty much a verbal contract.

They can make the trade call at any point after that (at which point it is usually leaked)

Boston wanted to avoid 20,000 people laughing at them on live TV

You may have a point there...If I were Benning and had a trade in place for Lack, I would prefer NOT to announce it on TV.

I feel like there is a chance of Lack staying for some reason, although I have nothing tangible to support that.

They're allowed to agree in principle. Pretty much a verbal contract.

They can make the trade call at any point after that (at which point it is usually leaked)

I see. I guess no GM in the league would back out of a verbal agreement knowing that they're reputation would be shot among other GM's in the future?

can you guys imagine, after all the buzz going around and now the Hamilton trade, if we really only get a 2nd for Lack and a 2nd for Bieksa? I mean, not even to package them and trade them to move up. Just take BPA at 23, and draft twice in the 2nd round... sounds boring af to me.

I see. I guess no GM in the league would back out of a verbal agreement knowing that they're reputation would be shot among other GM's in the future?

Yea, you don't do that in business. In most cases a verbal contract is legally binding.

can you guys imagine, after all the buzz going around and now the Hamilton trade, if we really only get a 2nd for Lack and a 2nd for Bieksa? I mean, not even to package them and trade them to move up. Just take BPA at 23, and draft twice in the 2nd round... sounds boring af to me.

But this is the realistic expectation we should have had from the beginning. It's only because of that 9th overall proposal that people started thinking unrealistically.

I'm still excited to see who we can get at 23, and potentially get two good D-men in the 2nd round. There will still be great D-men available in the 2nd round.

Lehner fetched a 1st, if Benning only picks up a 2nd for Lack, that won't look good for him. Lack is more of a performer than Lehner right now.

Two seconds for Bieksa and maybe two seconds for Lack from another team. How sweet would 4 second round picks in the 2015 draft be?!

Well it would have to be 3 2nds, because the other one from San Jose would be a 2016.

Well it would have to be 3 2nds, because the other one from San Jose would be a 2016.

I meant from another team, but now that I think about it, I think the Sabres are the only other team with 2 second round picks left in the 2015 draft. That would leave 2015 and 2016 picks. Still a good haul if Benning can manage to swing it.

*edit* It took me almost an hour and a half to realize that I typed 2 first round picks rather than 2 second round picks.... :sadno:

Archived