The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks shopping Eddie Lack for second round pick

Would totally take 2 seconds for Lack but I doubt it's on offer. Rightly or wrongly, teams think Talbot is better.

Exactly this. TSN says Talbot is the top ranked goalie available, teams don't question it. No GM gets a really good look at other team's backups, they just don't have time for that. They have to go by stats and a few highlights they've seen, or simply by TSN's word.

In my estimation, he isn't. I managed to watch quite a few games with Talbot holding the fort during Lundqvist's injury, and he played very well, and is indeed a good goalie. But from what I've seen from Eddie, I would say his ceiling is definitely higher.

Talbot behind the Van defence looks average.

Lack behind the NYR defence looks world class.

Lehner is average in my opinion.

If i am a GM needing a 1B or someone to really push for 1A i am all over Lack. Easy fit in the locker room, had to handle the load of a starter. Good numbers and a cheap cap hit.

Dallas and Philly better be circling.

Exactly this. TSN says Talbot is the top ranked goalie available, teams don't question it. No GM gets a really good look at other team's backups, they just don't have time for that. They have to go by stats and a few highlights they've seen, or simply by TSN's word.

In my estimation, he isn't. I managed to watch quite a few games with Talbot holding the fort during Lundqvist's injury, and he played very well, and is indeed a good goalie. But from what I've seen from Eddie, I would say his ceiling is definitely higher.

Yeah, I tend to agree but haven't seen enough of Talbot to have an opinion that's worth much. So hard to compare when what you see is not so much the goalie as how the D corps and total defensive system makes the goalie look. No doubt this works in Talbot's favour but I'm sure some teams have scouted him pretty thoroughly to sort this out.

Yeah, I can't figure why it's taken this long but who knows what's in play.

Trades involving picks will usually wait, because both sides may be able to leverage better offers before the draft begins. Most deals will probably happen Thurs and Fri.

Now, I'm guessing that this is Flames or the Oilers offering this and I'm not a fan of trading within the division but I'd jump on this deal if I were Benning.

Almost all of Benning's trades so far have been within the division. If Edmonton offers the most for Lack, that's where he goes.

And yes, I think most likely we'll see a multi-player deal. Benning has openly said he prefers to do a package, so as to increase the quality of the return.

Trades involving picks will usually wait, because both sides may be able to leverage better offers before the draft begins. Most deals will probably happen Thurs and Fri.

Almost all of Benning's trades so far have been within the division. If Edmonton offers the most for Lack, that's where he goes.

And yes, I think most likely we'll see a multi-player deal. Benning has openly said he prefers to do a package, so as to increase the quality of the return.

True, but I think Benning would be far more reluctant to trade a young starting goaltender to Edmonton who are surely a year or two away from becoming a dangerous team.

I said this in the other thread, however I hope with Eriksson going, that actually helps us to keep Lack. If Miller is hurt we will have to go with a Markstrom/Cannata combo for the Canucks. Not sure that is best for anyone right now?

True, but I think Benning would be far more reluctant to trade a young starting goaltender to Edmonton who are surely a year or two away from becoming a dangerous team.

Sorry but why would Benning care? Oilers are going to get a young starting goalie anyway, it’s not like Lack is the only option out there and it’s not like Lack is the next great goalie of the league. He’s not that rare of a talent and whether it be this year or next, Oilers will acquire a goalie at the Lack ability or better and that’s completely out of JB’s control.

I said this in the other thread, however I hope with Eriksson going, that actually helps us to keep Lack. If Miller is hurt we will have to go with a Markstrom/Cannata combo for the Canucks. Not sure that is best for anyone right now?

if Lack gets hurt your left with the same option. Makes no difference.

Which explains why you don't understand what's going on at all.

Clendening is a 22 year old defenseman, gold medal winner, world U18 all-star and leading scorer for defensemen, two-time all-star in college, two-time all-star in the AHL who led his team in scoring, and has but 21 games of NHL experience and was acquired with merely a 5th round draft pick and you call it questionable?

Yeah benning has done some questionable things but this isn't one of them.

Highly doubt teams would take TSN's word for the quality of a player. Talbot has better numbers (especially sv%) in the NHL than Lack, and that is probably the main reason he is more highly regarded.

... Canucks were not getting in with a Lack/Markstrom tandem. No argument. ...

Just because your mind doesn't see the alternative doesn't mean there's no argument.

This is nothing compared to that. The Luongo threads used to reach 100 pages in less than a month.

LOL yea no kidding.

I was 10% of the posts I think... Arguing with smurf, Riviera and many more.

Good times hahaha

Speculating WiseOne's concern would be that at 35 coming off a major knee injury, Miller's more likely to be re-injured.

Cool. But the fear logic behind that is short term thinking.

“Let’s keep the goalie with less long term potential, just in case Miller gets hurt. That way are next season isn’t lost. “

It’s funny that people worry about short term thinking in the future but completely disregard what’s recently happened in the past. Like say 2 years ago when canucks had Luongo as a starting goalie and had a goalie with zero NHL experience backing him up. It wasn’t until our said #1 goalie went down with an injury that canucks got a feel for who this backup goalie was, since he was lacking NHL experience.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/lack-looks-forward-to-filling-in-for-injured-luongo-with-vancouver-canucks-1.1609819

Most fans (not saying you JR) are just scared of change, Don’t trade Bieska, he’s heart and soul canucks, Don’t trade Burrows he deserves to retire a canucks, don’t trade Lack he’s goofy. But then everyone complains when the end results, end much less the same, year after year. Yes change is scary but change is often for the better.

Trading Schneider gave canucks Horvat, it also helped bring up a development path for Lack to enter the NHL. Luongo’s injury gave canucks an opportunity to see what they have in Lack as more than just a backup, eventually allowing canucks to trade Luongo and bring in Markstrom. Markstrom got a better development training with canucks goaltending staff and now allows the canucks the opportunity to move Lack for a return. Who knows what future implications that return will become for the canucks. All this was a domino effect started by “change” and from moving Cory, It can be traced back even further along to Linden being dealt, which had an effect on canucks getting Luongo.

Archived