The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can anyone recommend a good home security company

Bingo Chili

I recently moved to a new townhome and the place seemed to not have any prewired wirings for security.

So I might go with wireless home security.

Anyone have a wireless home security and alarm system? what are the pros and cons based on your experience.

Can anyone recommend a good security company that is reasonably ok price.

A Key, A lock, Living in Canada, and if your extra scared maybe a sticker that says i have a security system. Guarantee you will lose more paying for the system then the off chance some steals some useless stuff from your house.

A Key, A lock, Living in Canada, and if your extra scared maybe a sticker that says i have a security system. Guarantee you will lose more paying for the system then the off chance some steals some useless stuff from your house.

You couldn't be more wrong if your were the Mayor of Wrongville.

And what are you basing your opinion on? The consistently declining crime rate?

I'm basing it off of the 4 break-ins in my neighbourhood (in Vancouver) that occurred over the last 6 months. I'm also basing it off of the fact that protecting ones residence is always top of mind for individuals with young kids. Also, since you seem to be keen on stats have you looked up stats on break-in %'s for homes with alarms vs. no alarms? It's well worth the investment.

I don't think the company matters so much as technical specs and reviews (Amazon, Newegg, Tigerdirect, Best Buy, etc.). I would also advise you set up your own monitoring, OP, instead of going with a monitoring company, and while I'm not sure if you are going or considering that route, I'll explain why anyways.

The main problem with companies like ADT, that happens with all of them, is that Vancouver's by-laws states that for burglary alarms, you must have what's called an "actual" for the police to attend, which means that someone (either the security owner or one of their contacts) has to confirm that it looks like a burglary has occurred -- they won't just come because a residential alarm is going off. By this point, there's pretty much no chance of a burglar being caught. So basically, despite your income for monitoring and tax dollars, police in Vancouver don't give a frack. Pretty much everywhere else in Canada, the police would attend, especially if the owner requests so after being contacted, or if any of the contacts suggest it, or if no one in the contacts list can be reached.

Confirmed poster who doesn't own property.

I lived in my house for 8 years without an alarm system. That changed when my house was broken into and the suspect was still in the house (only ransacked one side of the bedroom) when my wife and newborn son arrived home. Luckily my wife saw the broken window and left to call the police. The theif stole around $5000 worth of stuff (jewelry, laptop, etc). But I could care less as that it is stuff that can be replaced. My family's saftey is top priority. This happened on the first day of School.

Went with ACME (as recommended to me from a friend).

Another story about break-ins. When I was young...my friends house was broke-in 6 times in one summer. The thieves targeted their house since they still did not get an alarm system. It stopped once the parents got a Pit Bull.

I'm basing it off of the 4 break-ins in my neighbourhood (in Vancouver) that occurred over the last 6 months. I'm also basing it off of the fact that protecting ones residence is always top of mind for individuals with young kids. Also, since you seem to be keen on stats have you looked up stats on break-in %'s for homes with alarms vs. no alarms? It's well worth the investment.

I'm not saying "don't go out an buy a home alarm system". In fact, if I had children, I'd feel responsible to do whatever I could to protect them. If money wasn't an issue, this would include buying an alarm system. However, there are also some important things to consider before we come to the belief that home alarm systems are effective:

Crime is more likely to occur in poorer neighourhoods. The people that purchase home-alarm systems are unlikely to live in such neighbourhoods. You are assuming correlation = causation.

Individuals age 16-20 account for more crime than any other age group. Impulsivity, drunkenness, lack of consideration for consequences are characteristic of this group. Means that an alarm system is less likely to have an effect (i.e., deter) the types of individuals most likely to break into a home.

I don't think the company matters so much as technical specs and reviews (Amazon, Newegg, Tigerdirect, Best Buy, etc.). I would also advise you set up your own monitoring, OP, instead of going with a monitoring company, and while I'm not sure if you are going or considering that route, I'll explain why anyways.

The main problem with companies like ADT, that happens with all of them, is that Vancouver's by-laws states that for burglary alarms, you must have what's called an "actual" for the police to attend, which means that someone (either the security owner or one of their contacts) has to confirm that it looks like a burglary has occurred -- they won't just come because a residential alarm is going off. By this point, there's pretty much no chance of a burglar being caught. So basically, despite your income for monitoring and tax dollars, police in Vancouver don't give a frack. Pretty much everywhere else in Canada, the police would attend, especially if the owner requests so after being contacted, or if any of the contacts suggest it, or if no one in the contacts list can be reached.

Confirmed poster who doesn't own property.

welcome back.

Archived